clunky drive train

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Danielsan
Posts: 231
Joined: Jan 25, 2010
Location: Lawrence,ks

clunky drive train

Post by Danielsan »

Ok so pretty much every BMW I have owned which includes 4 e30s, and two e28s. Well all have had loose feeling in the drive train. When you take off in first and let off the gas you can feel it clunk and hear it too. I have checked mounts on the motor and diff but are all solid as far as I can tell. Now could worn trans mounts cause this? Like I said I checked every car and all mounts looked fine.
12valves
Posts: 407
Joined: Aug 03, 2009
Contact:

Post by 12valves »

I have experienced this also. I think most likely it is caused by slop in the diff, but could also be cv-joints or the rear suspension.
Danielsan
Posts: 231
Joined: Jan 25, 2010
Location: Lawrence,ks

Post by Danielsan »

I kind of want to blame it on the dual mass fly wheel also. All my bimmers have been high mileage including 88 ix. If the diff had that much play I'm sure I would hear some howling back there.

I will admit my 533i hasbeen the most forgiving.
gidgaf
Posts: 391
Joined: Feb 22, 2011
Location: LAX, Kalifornia

The slop and the clunk and the clang and the ...

Post by gidgaf »

Sometimes it's more than one thing.
Everything is incremental.
Since nothing is new and/or tight, a little slop in the transmission is amplified by the wear in the universal joints, added to the looser tolerances in the differential and transmitted to two notchy CV joints before it gets to the wheel bearing.
You go from P to R, and all those parts have to go from idle to rest against the next piece over. the rear suspension takes a set as it gets the pressure from the differential. Clang! And the engine and tranny rock a little bit. Then you from R to D. Everything now has to goto the other side. The tranny, the universals, the gears, etc. The rear suspension has to reset it's position at the same time. Clunk!
Stick the thing in the air, grab your parts and shake them. Roll them around a bit. It all adds up.
Ga4.6is
Posts: 47
Joined: Jun 28, 2011
Location: Macon, Ga

Re: The slop and the clunk and the clang and the ...

Post by Ga4.6is »

gidgaf wrote:Sometimes it's more than one thing.
Everything is incremental.
Since nothing is new and/or tight, a little slop in the transmission is amplified by the wear in the universal joints, added to the looser tolerances in the differential and transmitted to two notchy CV joints before it gets to the wheel bearing.
You go from P to R, and all those parts have to go from idle to rest against the next piece over. the rear suspension takes a set as it gets the pressure from the differential. Clang! And the engine and tranny rock a little bit. Then you from R to D. Everything now has to goto the other side. The tranny, the universals, the gears, etc. The rear suspension has to reset it's position at the same time. Clunk!
Stick the thing in the air, grab your parts and shake them. Roll them around a bit. It all adds up.
100% agree. Well Said.

-Ben
Post Reply