Quick and definitely stupid question. Do I have to use a spring compressor to remove the rear springs to change the strut mount?? Never worked on the e28 rears before. Stock suspension btw.
Thanks, Andrew
Use spring compressor to remove rear springs?
It's not necessary, but most do it that way. Not me however.
You can block the car up on stands, then jack up one wheel so it's just compressing the spring a little bit, remove the 17 nut(s) on the top of the shaft, then lower it. The spring will fully extend with no load on it and you can then remove the lower shock mount. Then change the top mount. Installation is the reverse, you just have to kind of thread the needle getting the top of the shock back in. Good gas shocks it's easy. Worn out non gas becomes more difficult. I've got a spring compressor and that's the way I do it. Now the fronts do need a spring compressor with stock springs, no cheating there.
You can block the car up on stands, then jack up one wheel so it's just compressing the spring a little bit, remove the 17 nut(s) on the top of the shaft, then lower it. The spring will fully extend with no load on it and you can then remove the lower shock mount. Then change the top mount. Installation is the reverse, you just have to kind of thread the needle getting the top of the shock back in. Good gas shocks it's easy. Worn out non gas becomes more difficult. I've got a spring compressor and that's the way I do it. Now the fronts do need a spring compressor with stock springs, no cheating there.
Spring Compressor
In case you are not aware, many places, such as Advanced Auto Parts have loan tools, including spring compressors available.
-
euro635gas
- Posts: 1085
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Oregon
You sir are very talentedMike W. wrote:It's not necessary, but most do it that way. Not me however.
You can block the car up on stands, then jack up one wheel so it's just compressing the spring a little bit, remove the 17 nut(s) on the top of the shaft, then lower it. The spring will fully extend with no load on it and you can then remove the lower shock mount. Then change the top mount. Installation is the reverse, you just have to kind of thread the needle getting the top of the shock back in. Good gas shocks it's easy. Worn out non gas becomes more difficult. I've got a spring compressor and that's the way I do it. Now the fronts do need a spring compressor with stock springs, no cheating there.


