84 533i or 85 535i That is the question?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
Alfonso Bedoya
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sep 16, 2010
Location: Van Isle, B.C. Canada

84 533i or 85 535i That is the question?

Post by Alfonso Bedoya »

I know very little(no pics, interior type, no ODO readings) of either vehicle, but I can set up a viewing time for both which one? From what I have gleaned from here it seems the 533i is more problematic than the 535i(oh and the '84 533i ad reads "red leather int. silver ext. in good condition $2,000 needs minor adjustment"), also the 535i is newer, and the guy claims it is in good shape, both are 5 speeds. My gut is going to check out the 535i. What say you?
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

535
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Look at both and buy whichever is in better condition.
cddallara
Posts: 3513
Joined: Apr 03, 2010
Location: Lagunitas, Ca

Post by cddallara »

having both (well, kinda :D )- Tough call- to me it'd be the one in better shape overall. I wouldn't rule either one out untill I checked them both out...
Alfonso Bedoya
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sep 16, 2010
Location: Van Isle, B.C. Canada

Post by Alfonso Bedoya »

But isn't the 533i more prone to "issues" than the 535i? And the 535i had a longer production run than the 533i, hence the stability/realiability over all, of the 535i, is that not a generally better e28?

NINJA EDIT; hence more parts?
Last edited by Alfonso Bedoya on Mar 23, 2011 2:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

A nice 533 is going to be better than a run down 535.
Alfonso Bedoya
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sep 16, 2010
Location: Van Isle, B.C. Canada

Post by Alfonso Bedoya »

wkohler wrote:A nice 533 is going to be better than a run down 535.
A 533i has issues me thinks, less parts to had is what scares me more than anything. But I will look and report back, regardless. Kinda excited about the prospect of moar powa!

sorry to quote wiki here but I have to.

533i: A North American only model sold from 1983-1984 in limited quantities in response to customer complaints that the 528e had lower performance figures than the 1981 528i that it replaced. Equipped with a 181 hp (135 kW) 3.2 L M30 6-cylinder engine as fitted to the larger 633csi and 733i, it produced 195 lb·ft (264 N·m). torque. The compression ratio was 8.8:1. Top Speed was 134 mph (manual). The 533i was the fastest sedan sold in the USA in 1983.

535i: Replaced the 533i in 1985 and sold through 1988. The 535i featured a slightly larger 3.4L M30 6-Cylinder engine with 182 hp (136 kW) and greater torque. Compression was down to 8.0:1. Top speed also dropped to 131 mph (manual).
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Fuck it. I'm done. Find that on Wikipedia.
Alfonso Bedoya
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sep 16, 2010
Location: Van Isle, B.C. Canada

Post by Alfonso Bedoya »

wkohler wrote:Fuck it. I'm done. Find that on Wikipedia.
LOL :alright:
Dan_Wright
Posts: 296
Joined: Mar 29, 2009
Location: B.C. Canada

Post by Dan_Wright »

Are these cars local? I cruise the local CL pretty regularly and I only know of a euro bumper 528e, and a bronzit 535i auto for sale.
Son of a
Posts: 2366
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: Housatonic, MA

Post by Son of a »

wkohler wrote:Fuck it. I'm done. Find that on Wikipedia.
X 2

Why do people keep asking questions and then ignoring the answers provided by people who know what they are talking about? To the OP, buy whatever you want, for whatever reason you believe. Since you already made your mind up, why are you bothering to post it in the first place.
skip535i
Posts: 5186
Joined: Oct 26, 2006
Location: Lynchburg, VA

Post by skip535i »

Son of a wrote:
wkohler wrote:Fuck it. I'm done. Find that on Wikipedia.
X 2

Why do people keep asking questions and then ignoring the answers provided by people who know what they are talking about? To the OP, buy whatever you want, for whatever reason you believe. Since you already made your mind up, why are you bothering to post it in the first place.
x2 Chris has had multiple 535i and 533i cars. He knows what he's talking about. The M30B32 is a higher compression motor with a lighter flywheel. Slightly different fuel injectors and little things, but it's basically a 535i with a more fun motor. Buy whichever one is in good shape, but don't rule out the 533i because of misinformation.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

skip535i wrote:
Son of a wrote:
wkohler wrote:Fuck it. I'm done. Find that on Wikipedia.
X 2

Why do people keep asking questions and then ignoring the answers provided by people who know what they are talking about? To the OP, buy whatever you want, for whatever reason you believe. Since you already made your mind up, why are you bothering to post it in the first place.
x2 Chris has had multiple 535i and 533i cars. He knows what he's talking about. The M30B32 is a higher compression motor with a lighter flywheel. Slightly different fuel injectors and little things, but it's basically a 535i with a more fun motor. Buy whichever one is in good shape, but don't rule out the 533i because of misinformation.
x3!

Chris told you the story and you still say a 533 is more problematic. :facepalm:
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

A 533i doesn't have more "issues" than a 535. It's the same fucking car!
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

I hear a lot of parts are interchangeable between the two so ya got that going for you.
PhillyM5
Posts: 176
Joined: Nov 18, 2010
Location: Philadelphia Pa

Post by PhillyM5 »

I currently have a 533i and I love it! The car is really fun to drive and very reliable. I must say i purchased it from a member on this board and it was in fantastic condition. take the advise of the others who have posted, These guys know a lot about these cars.
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Post by davintosh »

oldskool wrote:I hear a lot of parts are interchangeable between the two so ya got that going for you.
This. Just buy both cars, then you've got spares at the ready. ;)
slammin_e28
Posts: 6140
Joined: Aug 05, 2007
Location: 24477

Post by slammin_e28 »

davintosh wrote:
oldskool wrote:I hear a lot of parts are interchangeable between the two so ya got that going for you.
This. Just buy both cars, then give me the one you don't like as much. ;)
FTFY ;)
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

I've been trying to find the thread that wkohler wrote in 2009 regarding these two cars. I'm geeky enough that I printed it out and put in my binder of "mye28" gold. He goes into immense detail on each car...enough to answer any questions you would have about them.
I was rushed last night, but obviously, condition would dictate which to buy. The '84 533 is in the "late production" zone, so it doesn't have the hot motor. My foray into the M30 world was with my late '84 533 that has a B34 in it. Good enough as a learning lab.
If I were to do it again (and I will) all things being in equal condition, I'd take an early ('83) 533 over a 535...mostly for motor hotness and stripped down weight. Mongo-leather seats don't bother me... :laugh:
edit: If I could save up enough coin, I'd try to buy Chris' 533...that sucker is f'in beautiful....as you can imagine.

You wanna good breakdown? Find Kohler's thread.
WilNJ
Posts: 4193
Joined: Aug 12, 2009
Location: North Jersey

Post by WilNJ »

TSMacNeil wrote:I've been trying to find the thread that wkohler wrote in 2009 regarding these two cars.

You wanna good breakdown? Find Kohler's thread.
This one?

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?p=54 ... 35i#541842
wkohler wrote:As someone who owns both an early 533i and a 535is, I'll lend you my thoughts. Actually, I'll just give them to you.

The 533i is a lighter car. There is less sound deadening material, manual seats (Saves nearly 100 pounds), no ABS and some of the structural areas (around the diff mount mostly) are not as strong as later models.

There isn't much difference in power (1 fewer horsepower and about 20 fewer torques). What is astounding is how you don't notice the difference in power. The early 533s (up to 1/84) had a light flywheel (15 lbs compared to 22 lbs), and up until 9/83 had a different cam with a longer duration. There are some that argue there couldn't be a difference, but if you drive an early and a late 533, you notice it. The early car will pull ALL THE WAY up to redline. The later car will come on about 3k and all off about 5500. Later 533s feel like slugs in comparison.

The power on the 533 is transferred through the Getrag 260/5 gearbox. While a decent transmission, it doesn't hold up to a lot of power and was noticeably weaker than the G265 it replaced from the E12 cars. The G265 was brought back to the M30 with the '85 535i while the G260/6 was designed for the later 535s. The 260/5 is a shorter transmission with a steeper bellhousing, which prevents use of the M5 pressure plate and performance clutch options. The differentials are the same (3.25 was the stock ratio, LSD optional), though the rear cover is different on the 533 (and consequently the sway bar because of the cover). The diff mount is the same one used on the E12, and is unfortunately very expensive. The M535i mount is not compatible with the 533.

Unlike the 535i, 533s used a separate idle circuit, which used a different idle control valve, an idle control module and an idle temperature switch (tells the module once the car has reached operating temperature, and it *should* lower the idle). They also had different smog equipment, including an evaporative purge valve. Most of those have been disabled, this can be done simply by removing the relay.

The exhaust system is very similar, but different from the 535. The flanges are different, so 535i cat-back options are not compatible with the 533 unless you use the whole system from the downpipes back. Also, the o2 sensor is a single-wire, non-heated unit (swapped out in favor of a 3-wire, heated unit which used the socket for the purge valve relay for the heater circuit relay).

533s have different, and better HVAC than the 535s. 533s had a copper AC condenser which had a much larger surface area than the smaller, aluminum condensers fitted to the 535s. The lines and compressor are also different. 533s also featured a functional dashtop center vent (which was subsequently disabled on the late 535s because of complaints about the AC). They also have cable-operated fresh-air flaps (same reason). Other than that, things remained largely unchanged.

The on-board computer on the 533 is different than the 535. I personally think it's a neater unit, but it lacks the remote control from the turn signal stalk and is more cumbersome in operations than it's contemporary.

Outside, they had a different front valance shape. The 533s featured a valance which had a much sharper angle, much like the E12. For some reason, the doors are more susceptible to rusting (look around the check strap, latch mechanism and hinges).

Aftermarket support for the 533 is thin. There are really no chips available (at least current ones), as the 533s up until the last couple months of production did not have a removable chip (those ECUs are quite rare). There's one anti-roll bar option for the 533 - the Koni and they're NLA. There's only one 533 stainless cat-back exhaust - Stebro - and it's very expensive. There's no MAF options, since you can't use a chip, etc.

The 535i on the other hand was given more displacement, a heavier flywheel, a lower compression ratio (8:1 instead of 8.8:1), and it still managed to eek out 1 more horse and 20 more torques. Overall, there were no huge changes. The first '85 535s still had manual seats, but manual cars were given the G265 transmission. The rear diff cover changed (ratio stayed at 3.25 with LSD as an option), but the diff mount on the body was greatly strengthened. Later 535s were given the G260/6 tranny and the aluminum shifter console. Automatics used the ZF 4hp22 transmission. This was replaced in 1987 by the 4hp22EH transmission which has a knob to the right of the gear selector stick which allows you to run in Sport Mode, Economy mode, or disable 4th gear.

The idle circuit was integrated into the ECU, and rarely fails. The ICV was moved into the intake boot between the AFM and throttle body, eliminating two extra hoses. So, if there's an idle issue, it's most likely a vacuum leak. The Evaporative Purge system was eliminated.

Inside, Power seats came in in later '85 models. The leather is not as thick as the 533 leather, so it's not as common to find nice comfort seats in 535s. Premium sound became available, featuring 4" mids in the kick panels, a 1" tweeter in the door frame, and 5.25" components were put in the rear deck. They also added a 15w amp in the trunk. In '86, the cable-operated fresh-air vents and the adjustable dashtop center vent went away, replaced with a dummy vent and a servo was added to the fresh-air flap, which automatically closed the flap when the AC was turned on regardless of the slider position.

The instrument cluster featured a 170MPH speedo, and later cars had an integrated service indicator board, which has less propensity for failure over the separate, early board. The differences are noted by counting the red LEDs in the Service Indicator. Early has 3, late 1. The OBC was changed to a more streamlined unit, capable of remote operation from the turn signal stalk. Instead of an LCD readout, it used a backlight, which fails every 20 or so years. They're about $35 new and should last you another 20 years. The color of the defroster switch was changed from green to amber on '86 and later models. Also, the o2 sensor light was eliminated from the check panel. We caught onto their ruse.

The front valance was changed in '85 to a shape which better complimented the lines of the E28. Plastic tow hook covers were fitted rather than leaving them exposed as on earlier models.

ABS was added for the 535, featuring wheel sensors at all 4 wheels. The AC system changed to an aluminum condenser, and a different style compressor. The horns were moved from in front of the front wheels to behind the front grille.

The doors don't rust like 533 doors did.

The 535is features sport seats (not Recaros, but rather a BMW-designed seat that is reminiscent of the Recaro design). They're very comfortable. You sit in them, rather than on them. The cars were originally delivered with a Bilstein specially-valved shock absorber, rather than the stock Sachs parts. Other than the trunklid lip spoiler and the front airdam, the cars were bog-standard 535s. In fact, there is no separate VIN run for the IS cars, and the tag on the B-pillar does not denote the package. Available for the '87 and '88 model years, they were supposed to be like the 325 es/is cars, except the 535s retained the stock 535i steering wheel rather than the M-Tech 1 wheel the E30s were fitted with. In 1988, the mirrors on the 535is were painted the body color. That's how you can tell the difference between '87s and '88s.

The following is based on stock cars - no modifications other than wheels, etc.

My first E28 was a 12/82 production 533i. I loved the car. Wrecked it. I loved the 533 and it's quirks, so I set out to find another 533i. I let quite a few nice 535s go by while searching for the right 533. Once the 533 I had my heart set on wasn't what I cracked it up to be, I bought a red 7/86 535is. The first few months, I found myself getting acquainted to the revised way of doing things. Some of it I found annoying. I waited 6 months before I found the "right" car, but I still had a feel for my 533. On the surface, it wasn't much different, but there were enough nuances. I'd always said I wanted another 533. At the end of 2008, I found another early 533 (3/83) which ended up needing some minor mechanical work, but was a solid car otherwise. Driving it was night and day from my 535. It had half the mileage of my 535, but it was just a more fun car to drive. Someone said that the 533 was the last true sports sedan - big engine in a lighter car. The 535 made the transition to sport luxury car. The 535 is quieter and more civilized. The 533 has a more raw sound and feel.

Daily, I'd rather live with a 535, though. The refined engine electronics and the ABS are my primary reasons. I never used to care about ABS, but I've used it four times (while not on the track) and each time I had it, I was pretty grateful.

Aftermarket support for the 535 is quite strong. There are many chips, cat-back exhausts, suspension options, etc. Most of the suspension bits are suitable for the 533, too, though.

If I had to choose between to similar condition cars with the same color combinations, options and similar mileage for a similar price, I'd go for the 535 probably. Hard to say. If one was a 535is, I'd go for it, though. If it was a really nice, early (before 9/83 production) 533 in either white or black with Cherry Red interior, I'd probably buy it. I guess I'm just saying not to pigeon-hole yourself into one car. Buy whichever is actually the nicest (unless it's a 2/84 or later 533 :laugh: ).
Mike W.
Posts: 27989
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

Chris's writeup is hard to follow, but I'll throw in a little bit. I think the -33s are actually a little quicker, screw the HP/Torque ratings. I did some stopwatch runs with an E23 and E28 I used to have, both 4HP22s, both running very well, and the E23 733 was a bit quicker to 60 than the 535. Non scientific, just stopwatch and using the speedo in the car, but old road tests suggest similiar. Not much, not enough to worry about, but some. 535s do have fewer idle issues with idle control integrated into the ECU rather than 533s with a seperate ICU.

Regardless, they each have minor points on each other, but buy the better car, that's what's important, not the differences.
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

That's the one WilNJ...thanks.
Alfonso Bedoya
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sep 16, 2010
Location: Van Isle, B.C. Canada

Post by Alfonso Bedoya »

Thank you gentlemen, I am calling the sellers tomorrow.
Alfonso Bedoya
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sep 16, 2010
Location: Van Isle, B.C. Canada

NSFW explicit rant

Post by Alfonso Bedoya »

Well I received an email about the 533i (he does not return calls as I left him messages about 2 weeks ago) So the guy finally gets back to me, and states"The drivetrain is out of the car". The FUCKING AD says "needs some minor adjustments"
I did not tear a strip off him via email. I sure as Hell wanted to though!!

As for the next seller I have called and left a message, what the hell is wrong with these people. I posted an ad stating I wanted a quote on repainting my car and I get Joe Mutha Fokking Schmo wanting but not wanting to sell his e28. Fuck I am ready to pull the ad as no Mother Fucking painter has emailed me LOL!

Sorry guys I had to RANT, I had my hopes up.

If anything does perspire out of this I shall let you know how things go, once again Thanks for posting up Chris's info it was very helpful/insightful.
WilNJ
Posts: 4193
Joined: Aug 12, 2009
Location: North Jersey

Re: NSFW explicit rant

Post by WilNJ »

Alfonso Bedoya wrote: If anything does perspire out of this I shall let you know how things go, once again Thanks for posting up Chris's info it was very helpful/insightful.
Don't sweat it.
Frybrid 524td
Posts: 2689
Joined: May 27, 2009
Location: ...

Post by Frybrid 524td »

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
wkohler wrote:Fuck it. I'm done. Find that on Wikipedia.
LOL :alright:
Beemerfan anyone?
mooseheadm5 wrote:They came off of a Lexus or Toyota and will not fit your car.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

yuh know what Alfonso, you have a thick skin , That is a good thing to have on this board.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

a wrote:yuh know what Alfonso, you have a thick skin , That is a good thing to have on this board.
^THIS
Post Reply