Racing helmets.

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
Scottinva
Posts: 3663
Joined: Dec 07, 2008
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Racing helmets.

Post by Scottinva »

I'm looking at buying a racing helmet for the track drift and autocross events I attend. I'm thinking since i'm buying one now i'll shoot for the SA2010 helmets, do you guys have any real preference on brand or any opinions on anything about them. I went to a local motorcycle shop to see what size I needed, and compared this to the chart a performance shop for helmet sizing so I have that part figured out. It seems RCI has a helmet for around 200 that is sa2010, I can't see spending a ton of money on a helmet, I dont do that many track events and I figure it's not like its going to not be safe if it still meets the standards. Any idea if the RCI's are decent, or if its worth it to fork up a little more?
Bill in MN
Posts: 1718
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: The Boonies, Mn
Contact:

Post by Bill in MN »

Pyrotect makes a decent helmet as well.
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

If you can, try the different brands on first before buying - they aren't all necessarily shaped the same, so for a given size one helmet may feel loose in spots while another is too tight in spots.

For instance, my head is apparently somewhat square :) and I've found that Simpson helmets tend to fit me better than other brands.
Bobcat Sig
Posts: 75
Joined: Jan 25, 2011
Location: Bozeman, MT

Post by Bobcat Sig »

stuartinmn wrote:If you can, try the different brands on first before buying - they aren't all necessarily shaped the same, so for a given size one helmet may feel loose in spots while another is too tight in spots.

For instance, my head is apparently somewhat square :) and I've found that Simpson helmets tend to fit me better than other brands.
This.

All my experience comes from motorcycle racing. From that, I would tell you Arai all day long. I do know that they several helmet lines for automotive racing. They also manufacture several different shell sizes to fit different head shapes.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22379
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

stuartinmn wrote:If you can, try the different brands on first before buying - they aren't all necessarily shaped the same, so for a given size one helmet may feel loose in spots while another is too tight in spots.

For instance, my head is apparently somewhat square :) and I've found that Simpson helmets tend to fit me better than other brands.
My head shape is best accommodated by Bell helmets.

Make sure you get a Snell-certified helmet. DOT helmets are not acceptable for autocross or track work.
Scottinva
Posts: 3663
Joined: Dec 07, 2008
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Post by Scottinva »

No shops around here sell racing helmets, closest place is prob vir.
BF in KS
Posts: 71
Joined: Jul 03, 2007

Post by BF in KS »

Simpson, Bell or Impact. Bill Simpson started both Simpson and Impact. Go find a store that specializes in dirt racing, they usually have a wide variety. Try on lots! Never had any experience with Arai or Impact. Get one that is comfy. Nomex liner preferred (more comfortable). My last 3 drivers preferred a Simpson Shark. Make sure it has a big enough eye port so you can see. Open helmets are not a option for the racing I am involved with but for track/drifting the may be OK. I would shy away from the Pyrotech helmets. I have found their safety gear to be a little lacking. Bell helmets fit big heads better.

Lou Fegers Racing in Minn. is a good source for all gear at a very reasonable price. We have had a long standing relationship with them. Great people to work with and very honest. After you find the model you want give them a call.

Price should not be a selling point. 10 cent heads deserve 10 cent helmets.
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

Get a full-face one and try them on.

-tammer
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

I've got a Bell M3. I tried a coupe different helmets on and found the Bell to be a better fit. Like has been said, it depends on how your head is shaped.

My helmet cost over $500 from a dirt track store. Yeah, it was steep, and yes, I could have gotten one cheaper, but you can't really put a price on your head, and I was planning to use it for more than autocrossing.

To Shawn's point, M and SA rated helmets are okay for autocross. For the track, then only an SA helmet will do.
Coldswede
Posts: 6859
Joined: Oct 10, 2008
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

Tammer in Philly wrote:Get a full-face one and try them on.

-tammer
While I agree in general that a full face is better protection, wearing one in the hot, humid South in the summertime is not a pleasant experience. As I wear glasses and use my helmet mostly for autocross with a some track days tossed in, I use an open face. Just something to consider. SA helmets are usually only $10-$20 or so more and you don't have to worry about it then.

BTW: The SA rating is only concerned about fire resistance of the helmet, the impact standard is the same as for a M.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

I suggest you see if any of the racing classes that you participate in require SA2010 or if you can use an M2010 helmet instead. If you can use an M2010 helmet, your choices increase and the price drops through the floor. I buy a lot of stuff (for motorcycles) from denniskirk.com. You can probably get a snellM2010 helmet for around $100-$125.
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

Coldswede wrote:
Tammer in Philly wrote:Get a full-face one and try them on.

-tammer
While I agree in general that a full face is better protection, wearing one in the hot, humid South in the summertime is not a pleasant experience. As I wear glasses and use my helmet mostly for autocross with a some track days tossed in, I use an open face. Just something to consider. SA helmets are usually only $10-$20 or so more and you don't have to worry about it then.

BTW: The SA rating is only concerned about fire resistance of the helmet, the impact standard is the same as for a M.
Things can go wrong even if you only go to the track occasionally. I've had gravel bounce off my face shield in my car at Watkins Glen (tossed up by a leading car). At 70+ mph, that's going to hurt if you're not protected. I used to run with the face shield up pretty frequently, but I don't any more.

I'd rather be uncomfortable and retain my vision.

-tammer
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

Tammer in Philly wrote:
Coldswede wrote:
Tammer in Philly wrote:Get a full-face one and try them on.

-tammer
While I agree in general that a full face is better protection, wearing one in the hot, humid South in the summertime is not a pleasant experience. As I wear glasses and use my helmet mostly for autocross with a some track days tossed in, I use an open face. Just something to consider. SA helmets are usually only $10-$20 or so more and you don't have to worry about it then.

BTW: The SA rating is only concerned about fire resistance of the helmet, the impact standard is the same as for a M.
Things can go wrong even if you only go to the track occasionally. I've had gravel bounce off my face shield in my car at Watkins Glen (tossed up by a leading car). At 70+ mph, that's going to hurt if you're not protected. I used to run with the face shield up pretty frequently, but I don't any more.

I'd rather be uncomfortable and retain my vision.

-tammer
+1 I run with my face shield barely cracked. The extra protection is worth it in he event of an accident. I'd rather not eat my steering wheel.
clangpap
Posts: 926
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Calgary Canada
Contact:

Post by clangpap »

Has anyone found a brand that is smaller in physical size but is correctly rated? I'm no giant, but my helmeted-head is in contact with the roof in all our cars which I find annoying on the track. I know I can recline the seat, but most instructors I've had like a more upright "chair" seating position.
Scottinva
Posts: 3663
Joined: Dec 07, 2008
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Post by Scottinva »

I read through some of the event stuff it is saying at least sa2000/m2000. The thing is i'm not so sure its not worth it to fork up for the sa incase I do run across an event where I need one. I mean its 200 bucks to protect your head. I can't really see buying a 2005, since the 2010 as far as I can tell is almost the same price. So It seems like a full face sa2010 bang for the buck helmet would fit my needs best.
Post Reply