How to ID a Hartge cam?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 9142
Joined: Apr 13, 2006
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Contact:

How to ID a Hartge cam?

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

So I've been tinkering with my e28 on a budget that I brought back from KS. What are the odds this is a Hartge cam? I haven't noticed the Hartge marking on the head anywhere, but it is odd that it's stamped 83' 3.5L when I thought that wasn't started till later productions.

\probably just looking for confirmation on what I already suspect


Image

Image
adrian in florida
Posts: 2344
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by adrian in florida »

I dont think that Hartge has any particular markings on the cam and given the time frame it could have been a lot of things. It is possible that you have an L block which could mean 10 to 1 compression and an 84 mm crank, however those enginges supposedley were out of production by 83... sorry I guess I was'nt really much help. :roll:
Blue Shadow
Posts: 10539
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SE PA

Post by Blue Shadow »

adrian in florida wrote: sorry I guess I was'nt really much help. :roll:
Well we could have told him where to look for the markings on the head or where to find the L for the L-block.
TheE28Ranch
Posts: 2046
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marquette, MI

Post by TheE28Ranch »

Do you feel the cam is the only special Hartge item in the head? Have you considered the valve sizes? Is there any porting or polishing? What makes you think it has Hartge goods on it?

Either way, the Hartge "special cam" part numbers for the 3.5L are as follows:

Up to 8/83: 11400626
9/83 on: 11400628

I suppose you won't find a part number on the cam, but who knows. It should be a Schrick 282 interval cam, though.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

The Hartge stamp in the head is on the left side, at the very top between cylinder #2 and #3.

Image
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 9142
Joined: Apr 13, 2006
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Contact:

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Minotaur wrote:Do you feel the cam is the only special Hartge item in the head? Have you considered the valve sizes? Is there any porting or polishing? What makes you think it has Hartge goods on it?

Either way, the Hartge "special cam" part numbers for the 3.5L are as follows:

Up to 8/83: 11400626
9/83 on: 11400628

I suppose you won't find a part number on the cam, but who knows. It should be a Schrick 282 interval cam, though.
I'm unsure of any motor internals aside from a headgasket that was replaced. The PO suspected it may possibly be a hartge cam due to the H. I'm kinda doubtful. I just checked & didnt see the stamping between the cylinders as Chris mentioned, but it is stamped 3.5 if that means anything. The only other items that pointed me to think it may have a unique cam are the Hartge valve cover, headers, & gauge pod. Though that really doesnt say anything but possible inference.
wkohler wrote:The Hartge stamp in the head is on the left side, at the very top between cylinder #2 and #3.
Thanks for the pic, I forgot about that.
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

m20 cams have lettering as well, just factory identification
Devinder
Posts: 810
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Berkeley, CA

Post by Devinder »

my Hartge cam has a hand-engraved number on the tail end. The other casting marks on the shaft are standard marks for the cam blank.
Karl Grau
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: 1930's Germany

Post by Karl Grau »

The stamp on my m20 Hartge head was very faint and hard to see. Even after I cleaned the area it is still easy to miss.

Image
Post Reply