2nd Annual GA/FL Meet, Amelia Island, Pics in Eye Candy

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
DURPILOT
Posts: 530
Joined: Nov 05, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL

2nd Annual GA/FL Meet, Amelia Island, Pics in Eye Candy

Post by DURPILOT »

This will be the 2nd annual meet spot for the FLA/GA guys, hopefully you can make it......A great way to show a BMW presence and piggy back a cool event.
Saturday afternoon is a good time to get a peek without the crowd and scope out your Sunday plan with the crowd....I usally play golf on Saturday and then swing in and take a look, then I know the lay of the event Sunday....I also have some parking connections.

Here is the link: https://www.ameliaconcours.org/EventInf ... fault.aspx
Last edited by DURPILOT on Mar 14, 2011 8:59 PM, edited 6 times in total.
adrian in florida
Posts: 2344
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by adrian in florida »

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think the whole
contingent who represented Georgia in our last FL/GA meet moved to the left coast..
I think it would be cool to go and I would be up for golf as well!
DURPILOT
Posts: 530
Joined: Nov 05, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Post by DURPILOT »

Lots of reasonable golf choices.....Didn't Mike represent GA as the stand-alone attendee from that state above Florida?.....Way to go Georgia.
Mike, we need you there, you would love it. Hope you can make it...
Retro Rust
Posts: 353
Joined: Oct 22, 2009
Location: Dalton, GA

Post by Retro Rust »

Ill think about attending, although I will have a brand new baby at that point, so we will see. Although I will not be denied 12 hours at Sebring 2011!
Paul in N FL
Posts: 2069
Joined: Sep 30, 2008
Location: Jax, FL

Post by Paul in N FL »

I'd do it of other e28 guys would be there!
Coldswede
Posts: 6859
Joined: Oct 10, 2008
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

Hmm, DE or Concours? DE or Concours? I think the DE is gonna win. The guys at the track couldn't care less if my paint was bad. :oops:

I bet there are some beautiful cars there however.
the Tanned One
Posts: 2725
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area in Fla.

Post by the Tanned One »

Sounds good !! I should be all back by them :shock: ;) :cool:
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22378
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

DURPILOT wrote:Didn't Mike represent GA as the stand-alone attendee from that state above Florida?.....Way to go Georgia.
Wow, your warm welcome really makes me want to attend with Y'all! 350 miles for me, 33 miles for you. It'd be the opposite if you were to attend the Petit le Mans at Road Atlanta -- have you attended that?
DURPILOT
Posts: 530
Joined: Nov 05, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Post by DURPILOT »

Shawn D. wrote:
DURPILOT wrote:Didn't Mike represent GA as the stand-alone attendee from that state above Florida?.....Way to go Georgia.
Wow, your warm welcome really makes me want to attend with Y'all! 350 miles for me, 33 miles for you. It'd be the opposite if you were to attend the Petit le Mans at Road Atlanta -- have you attended that?
Just a friendly jab bro....no harm intended. People in Florida always will take a shot at Georgia and vise-versa....It comes with being neighboring states. If any one was upset at the Georgia guys, we wouldn't loosely refer to it as the FL/GA meet.....So "y'all" come on down and show off them Bimmers! ;)
gray635
Posts: 2054
Joined: Dec 06, 2006
Location: Perry, GA

Post by gray635 »

DURPILOT wrote:Lots of reasonable golf choices.....Didn't Mike represent GA as the stand-alone attendee from that state above Florida?.....Way to go Georgia.
Mike, we need you there, you would love it. Hope you can make it...
Sounds like fun to me. :banana: :banana: If we can at least get ShawnD to attend this year, the GA participation will double from last year! Still got my T-shirt.

Let's try to set it up. Barring some complication, I'm in.
M5BB
Posts: 1567
Joined: Jun 13, 2007
Location: Peachtree Corners, Georgia

Post by M5BB »

Hey, I was there in the M5 and so was Mark Davis another Atlanta guy.
We didn't meet up with anyone but my wife and I were there all day Sunday.
Also at Sebring and will probably go to both next year.
DURPILOT
Posts: 530
Joined: Nov 05, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Post by DURPILOT »

Guys, I think this could be a good one....I built two nice restaurants on the island and have spoken to both owners and they can help us out with a lunch/dinner, etc. Nothing to terribly fancy, but really good and extra close to everything. Lots of places to stay (really close to the event) that will fill up quick, so don't delay if you think you might come...you can always cancel. About 20 minutes away (just down I-95) there are some nice places at the airport exit also. If you are bringing your wife or girlfriend (wink-wink), there is a huge Outdoor Mall that has every store you could think of at the airport exit...just a thought. I have a connection at the private airport on the island that is about a 1/2 mile to the event where we can park and gather for whatever we come up with (it will look like a Gulfstream Aircraft dealer that weekend)....I would love to see a BMW presence and keep the Florida Georgia meet happening as an annual event. If there is enough interest, maybe the forum Keepers could make it a sticky and we could keep a list of attendees. Thanks.
:beer:
DURPILOT
Posts: 530
Joined: Nov 05, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Post by DURPILOT »

bump
e281985
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mar 23, 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post by e281985 »

:( I will be in Cleveland for my spring break which is the 7-13. Maybe, just maybe I will come back early for this...
Tim in N FL
Posts: 7392
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: North Central Florida, USA
Contact:

Post by Tim in N FL »

Cool! Put me down as a "definite maybe." I'm IN...assuming I can get away for the day. The 12 Hours of Sebring is the following week(end) so I can't commit to too much fun...can I? Despite the rain, I had fun meeting up with you all in Central Florida last time DURPILOT put this together...or was that two years ago?
gray635
Posts: 2054
Joined: Dec 06, 2006
Location: Perry, GA

Post by gray635 »

Guys:

It's starting to look like I might be able to make it. Mentioned it to Mrs. Gray this evening and she didn't hit me over the head. :banana: :banana: Put me in the "definite maybe" category with Tim! Any idea about schedule, accomodations, etc. at this point?
DURPILOT
Posts: 530
Joined: Nov 05, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Post by DURPILOT »

gray635 wrote:Guys:

It's starting to look like I might be able to make it. Mentioned it to Mrs. Gray this evening and she didn't hit me over the head. :banana: :banana: Put me in the "definite maybe" category with Tim! Any idea about schedule, accomodations, etc. at this point?
Mike, and others.....I am working out the details as we speak. I would guess that for most it would be a spend the night trip....I'm going to give the scenarios for both....I promise both will be memorable and worth the drive. 2 B9's at Amelia? that won't happen very often. Stay tuned!!!!!!!
Zieg
Posts: 422
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Florida

Amelia Island

Post by Zieg »

Hi All;

Durpilot: the Florida Suncoast Chapter of BMW CCA will be at Ameilia Island. This will be our 13 yr at the show. I can tell you first hand that if you love cars, all types of cars this is a great event.
We expect to have about 10 to 15 couples in our group. We will be staying at the Residence Inn located on Airport Rd.
Many of us will be at the auction on saturday all of us will be at the show on sunday.
Please let me know your plans and maybe we can work out the logistics of getting together.
Tks,

Zieg
M5BB
Posts: 1567
Joined: Jun 13, 2007
Location: Peachtree Corners, Georgia

Post by M5BB »

Just made a reservation at the Marriot Residence Inn.
We are driving down Saturday and going home on Monday.
We just don't need to go to the auction and I don't play golf.

Gary
Paul in N FL
Posts: 2069
Joined: Sep 30, 2008
Location: Jax, FL

Post by Paul in N FL »

Could I just come up for the day Sunday, as from what I read that's when the show and the FL/GA meet is happening?
Matt in Jax
Posts: 109
Joined: Jul 22, 2006

Post by Matt in Jax »

Ill be there in the freshly painted 84 745i. Hope to see you all there!
m-racer
Posts: 5274
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay Florida

Post by m-racer »

Shawn D. wrote:
DURPILOT wrote:Didn't Mike represent GA as the stand-alone attendee from that state above Florida?.....Way to go Georgia.
Wow, your warm welcome really makes me want to attend with Y'all! 350 miles for me, 33 miles for you. It'd be the opposite if you were to attend the Petit le Mans at Road Atlanta -- have you attended that?
Yes, but not since 06. Need to get that on the docket for Fall.
Tim in N FL
Posts: 7392
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: North Central Florida, USA
Contact:

Post by Tim in N FL »

m-racer wrote:
Shawn D. wrote: Wow, your warm welcome really makes me want to attend with Y'all! 350 miles for me, 33 miles for you. It'd be the opposite if you were to attend the Petit le Mans at Road Atlanta -- have you attended that?
Yes, but not since 06. Need to get that on the docket for Fall.
Petit LeMans has become a favorite event for me and my gearhead racefan pals every Fall. Last year we stayed in the Chateau Elan, which was worth every penny. We're set to be there again this year too. I hope to catch up with some of you fellas there. I usually drive the 911 up and park in the Porscheplatz since they have one of the best views of the track.

Meanwhile, I'm still working on my wife to attend the Amelia Island event this year. We'll see...she's not much of a "car person." :laugh: :bawl:
DURPILOT
Posts: 530
Joined: Nov 05, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Post by DURPILOT »

After speaking with Zeig and some of the others that are coming, here is what I have come up with. Feel free to suggest otherwise.
I suggest some who come on Friday night or Saturday swing by the Ritz Carlton/Amelia Island (Saturday) and check out the staging area of the car auction. This starts at 10:00AM and goes on for at least 2-3 hours. Some in Zeig's group (including Mike Gray I think) are actually attending the auction, but checking out the staging area (IMHO) is better as I have done both. Auction cost 100.00 to enter and see 1 to 2 cars at a time or you can see all the cars outside for free. From 2:00-on, it is an interesting site to see the show entered cars getting staged (pulled onto the fairways for the event Sunday), that's when you get a chance to meet some of the owners, etc and speak with some interesting people. To me, this is a well kept secret that most don't know you can do since it isn't really crowded. Afterwards (3:30), If anyone is interested, I will suggest a place within a couple of miles from the event that the e28 guys get together and socialize for a little while and get some group pictures/ shots for the site. Then around 4:00, we could do a little drive (from the Ritz) down through some beautiful coastal roads that will take about 30-45 minutes...maybe some more pictures (?) I know last year, it seemed like a informal medium-high speed parade of Lambos, Aston Martins, Horseless Carriages, etc. along the route I am suggesting (quite a site for this beautiful area). I will confirm the time with Zeig, but my understanding is their group of 10-12 people (and others staying by the Jax International Airport) are doing dinner (around 6:00-7:00) at a Steakhouse right by all the hotels at the Airport exit/right off 95. This would be a great time for some good food, story-telling, and drinks, etc. :D Then of course, Sunday.....that would be every man (and wife) for themselves. You guys feel free to suggest whatever, there is a lot of stuff going on that weekend and I would at least like to see the e28 guys get together for some pics and social hour, etc.
Last edited by DURPILOT on Feb 13, 2011 9:10 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Paul in N FL
Posts: 2069
Joined: Sep 30, 2008
Location: Jax, FL

Post by Paul in N FL »

I think I could probably get up there for the e28 social hour/s :D
gray635
Posts: 2054
Joined: Dec 06, 2006
Location: Perry, GA

Post by gray635 »

Durwood:

Hope to make this event - and you talked me out of going to the auction! I will probably drive down on Friday and leave on Sunday. Any hotel suggestions for our group? I figure those need to be made ASAP. Thanks!
DURPILOT
Posts: 530
Joined: Nov 05, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Post by DURPILOT »

Mike and others, Any of the Hotels on the Airport road are new and nice. There are only a couple of flea bags left there as that area has just gotten a nice face-lift. There is a "Aloft" hotel on the East side of I-95 (at that exit) that looks pretty nice. Any of the big names Hilton Garden In, Holiday Inn-Suites, etc. Any of these would meet your criteria, I'm sure of it.
Also, Good call on the aucition....it's worth seeing, but I kept catching myself wanting to go outside where the cars were coming in from. What set of wheels are you driving? I would guess the M3? (I wish I had your problem of deciding). ;)
Zieg
Posts: 422
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Florida

rooms available

Post by Zieg »

Mike:

I think there are still 2 rooms blocked out for FSC BMW Club at the Airport Residence in at $99.00 per night.

Durwood is the Steakhouse across the street from the hotel the one you built and if so are you making reservations for Sat. night?

On Friday night we have a group that wants to go to Barbara Jeans on Amelia for dinner. If you are interested let me know and I will include who ever is interested. I can try for reservations but can't guarantee them. I think we are up to 16 people on our end including 3 E24's. Although I am thinking of taking the MRoadster if the weather is nice.

Zieg
Zieg
Posts: 422
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Florida

follow up

Post by Zieg »

Durwood: I did buy that 82 320i in Fort Lauderdale for $900. I brought it to my mechanics and so far he can not find any RUST!!!

He is putting in a new fuel pump as we speak.

Zieg
DURPILOT
Posts: 530
Joined: Nov 05, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: follow up

Post by DURPILOT »

Zieg wrote:Durwood: I did buy that 82 320i in Fort Lauderdale for $900. I brought it to my mechanics and so far he can not find any RUST!!!

He is putting in a new fuel pump as we speak.

Zieg
Can I go ahead and get dibs on it ....First right of refusal? Love me a e-21.
Post Reply