I've driven by this Bronzit Beige 535i about a dozen times now, and finally pulled into the used car dealer's lot to look it over. It's definitely in need of some serious TLC, and has 228K miles on it. It was unlocked, but the dealer wasn't around to let me hear it run or test drive it.
What piqued my curiosity was the drivers side door frame sticker. It clearly list "Model No. 535i/A", but it's a 5-speed manual and looks like it always has been. What else should I consider?
I'd really like to lose my 2002 530i/A in favor of another E28 because I really miss driving one since my son blew up the auto trans on the one I 'loaned" him. That long-gone '88 535i/A was definitely born, lived and died as an automatic. Would this somewhat rusty Bronze Beige one of unknown model year possibly have a door frame sticker that belies it's true original equipment?
Looking at a new/old E28, got question
-
LandCruzer94
- Posts: 2043
- Joined: Jan 24, 2009
- Location: Simi Valley, California
Re: Looking at a new/old E28, got question
I'm pretty sure my tag says the same thing. Take a look at the cluster and you'll know if it was previously an autoPixMan wrote:I've driven by this Bronzit Beige 535i about a dozen times now, and finally pulled into the used car dealer's lot to look it over. It's definitely in need of some serious TLC, and has 228K miles on it. It was unlocked, but the dealer wasn't around to let me hear it run or test drive it.
What piqued my curiosity was the drivers side door frame sticker. It clearly list "Model No. 535i/A", but it's a 5-speed manual and looks like it always has been. What else should I consider?
I'd really like to lose my 2002 530i/A in favor of another E28 because I really miss driving one since my son blew up the auto trans on the one I 'loaned" him. That long-gone '88 535i/A was definitely born, lived and died as an automatic. Would this somewhat rusty Bronze Beige one of unknown model year possibly have a door frame sticker that belies it's true original equipment?
-
snakebrain
- Posts: 966
- Joined: Feb 15, 2010
- Location: Belfast
-
stuartinmn
- Posts: 9757
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Minneapolis
Thanks guys. As a matter of fact, I did write the VIN down and thought of running through RealOEM.com
I'm starting to think that BMW gave it that "/A" suffix as a notation for North American market cars. What else could it be?
When I was looking over the "Pearl Beige" interior I noticed that the panel under the steering wheel has a different shape than the one on my previous E28. It's got a lump for the clutch pedal travel clearance that the automatic transmission model didn't have. This has me believing that it's always been a manual. I was just confused (or, still am) about the model designation.
I'm just hoping I can get rid of the E39 for enough to buy the E28 and do some fixing up. It's got 15" Style 31 wheels on it right now. They look OK, but not my preference. I'd have to see if the suspension work has been kept up. Things under the hood looked clean.
One troubling thing was the car still has a lot of personal things in it, and it is filthy. The guy who was there didn't know the price, just that it was the dealer's wife's car until about 2 months ago. From what he said she hates her new minivan and would rather drive the E28 (go figure) but the 3 kiddie car seats just don't fit easily. I'm rather shocked that a dealer with the words "...Classic Cars" in the name wouldn't have had the car detailed. Better for me, a point to negotiate downward on price.
Justin_FL, thank you! It's got DC74 in the VIN. Now to just test drive it and see what the price might be. I sure miss driving an E28, and have never had the pleasure of driving a manual transmission one.
I'm starting to think that BMW gave it that "/A" suffix as a notation for North American market cars. What else could it be?
When I was looking over the "Pearl Beige" interior I noticed that the panel under the steering wheel has a different shape than the one on my previous E28. It's got a lump for the clutch pedal travel clearance that the automatic transmission model didn't have. This has me believing that it's always been a manual. I was just confused (or, still am) about the model designation.
I'm just hoping I can get rid of the E39 for enough to buy the E28 and do some fixing up. It's got 15" Style 31 wheels on it right now. They look OK, but not my preference. I'd have to see if the suspension work has been kept up. Things under the hood looked clean.
One troubling thing was the car still has a lot of personal things in it, and it is filthy. The guy who was there didn't know the price, just that it was the dealer's wife's car until about 2 months ago. From what he said she hates her new minivan and would rather drive the E28 (go figure) but the 3 kiddie car seats just don't fit easily. I'm rather shocked that a dealer with the words "...Classic Cars" in the name wouldn't have had the car detailed. Better for me, a point to negotiate downward on price.
Justin_FL, thank you! It's got DC74 in the VIN. Now to just test drive it and see what the price might be. I sure miss driving an E28, and have never had the pleasure of driving a manual transmission one.
-
C.R. Krieger
- Posts: 14507
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
- Contact:
I'm pretty sure it's the emissions model certification. Both gearboxes used the same engine, so the /A included the automatic, regardless of what was in any particular car.PixMan wrote:Thanks guys. As a matter of fact, I did write the VIN down and thought of running through RealOEM.com
I'm starting to think that BMW gave it that "/A" suffix as a notation for North American market cars. What else could it be?


