Oil in trailing arm

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
BadM535i
Posts: 465
Joined: May 23, 2006
Location: Dearborn, MI

Oil in trailing arm

Post by BadM535i »

I am not sure what the rubber plug is for on the rear trailing arm but while heating up the trailing arm, the plug popped out and oil started to gush out.

Is there suppose to be oil inside the trailing arm?

Image

Image
Rich Euro M5
Posts: 6098
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: Klein, Texas

Post by Rich Euro M5 »

In the old days of aviation, aircraft fuselages were often manufactured from welded chrome moly tubing. After welding they were often flushed with linseed oil to inhibit corrosion on the inside of the tubing. BMW might have been using the same processes on the trailing arms.

Does the oil smell kind of like latex paint ? If so, it's probably linseed oil, also called Flaxseed oil.

Rich
BadM535i
Posts: 465
Joined: May 23, 2006
Location: Dearborn, MI

Post by BadM535i »

No wonder it smelled weird! wow thats amazing!! Germans are truly the best engineers! I would have never known the purpose of that! After I get these powder coated, Now I know what to fill them up with!

Thanks a lot for the info! ;)
Coldswede
Posts: 6859
Joined: Oct 10, 2008
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

Well, they didn't "Fill them up" with the oil they just filled them up and drained 90% of the oil out, the remainder clung to the interior of the assembly and slowly congealed into a semi solid coating, when you heated it it remelted and ran out. Just kinda of pour a quart in there and slosh it around a bit and pour out the excess
BadM535i
Posts: 465
Joined: May 23, 2006
Location: Dearborn, MI

Post by BadM535i »

Thanks for the info, that sounds perfect!
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22379
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

It's probably not even necessary to replace what ran out. Don't bother.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

This is the 2nd reference I've come across regarding using linseed oil for rust inhibiting. I'm gonna try it
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

a wrote:This is the 2nd reference I've come across regarding using linseed oil for rust inhibiting. I'm gonna try it
Your boy spasticdwarf could do the same.

Interesting though, i always thought they were empty inside-learn something new every day.
DMNaskale
Posts: 1686
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay USA

Post by DMNaskale »

Rich Euro M5 wrote:In the old days of aviation, aircraft fuselages were often manufactured from welded chrome moly tubing. After welding they were often flushed with linseed oil to inhibit corrosion on the inside of the tubing. BMW might have been using the same processes on the trailing arms.

Does the oil smell kind of like latex paint ? If so, it's probably linseed oil, also called Flaxseed oil.

Rich
I used that stuff in the frame tubes of my old Trek 970 mountain bike frame, it was built from a True Temper OX3 cromo tubeset. Still looks good, although it was retired long ago.
Post Reply