Getrag 250?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
eurodurance
Posts: 248
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Getrag 250?

Post by eurodurance »

This may seem like a stupid inquiry (especially since I can't find any topics on it) but my friend has a 1994 525i that's clutch just died. He's sick of the car, everything keeps imploding on him and he wants to scrap it and he's given me first dibs if I want anything off of it first.

I own a 1987 535i with the hydraulic automatic and have always wanted to swap in a manual because I hate automatics. Would his 250G work for a conversion, or is this a stupid question? I haven't looked at either transmissions to match up bolt patterns/etc. or really looked hard into this but I'm assuming someone off the top of their head will know the answer here.

The transmission is in great shape save the clutch (I'm getting the transmission for free if I want it, so the money saved can get me a fresh clutch). I appreciate any feedback, but please don't flame me if this is a stupid question.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22379
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

It won't work -- different bellhousing patterns.
eurodurance
Posts: 248
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by eurodurance »

Thanks for the quick reply, Shawn. It's a shame in a way but I guess I'll just take the basket weaves off of him and finally remove my bottle caps.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

How much does he want for the trans? If it is cheap, I may be interested.
eurodurance
Posts: 248
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by eurodurance »

Sorry man, I forgot about this topic.

Update on his car, though. He took it to a mechanic (or three) after he cooled down thinking about the possibility of fixing it and apparently his G250 was replaced with a ZF manual with some kind of "conversion" dual-clutch before he bought the car. The clutch alone (not including the flywheel which was destroyed somehow) was going to be 2800 bones in the Canadian dollar.
Xenocide
Posts: 3370
Joined: Jun 08, 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by Xenocide »

damn....i'd be looking around for a new flywheel and just get a new sach's clutch ($200~300 including pressure plate and bearings).

I don't know where you can find flywheels, bavauto.com may be a good place to start. It'd be a shame to scrap the car for a fairly simple fix (hopefully).

EDIT: nvm, sorry misread the post above and didn't understand the "new tranny" thing :oops:

Could still find the right flywheel/clutch/pressure plate combo though, I honestly don't know
Post Reply