Spring Sorting (odd issues with the e28)

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
mosportgreen66
Posts: 1091
Joined: Jul 26, 2006

Spring Sorting (odd issues with the e28)

Post by mosportgreen66 »

Hi Guys,

I have some e28 issues that have worsened through the winter and I would like to put a stop to them soon.

1) I hear a bad chirping noise coming from the passenger side rear of the car when I drive over bumps and rough road. It seems like a body mount or body bushing has deteriorated. Could it be the dog bones? What do you suppose the issue is?

2) There is a nasty wheel vibration at 50-60 mph and again at 80mph, however, the car is smooth at 70mph. What do you think the issue is?

3) The head gasket is nearing its demise. What parts do I need to replace in conjunction to the head gasket when replacing it? I've never wrenched on the e28 before but being mechanically inclined, I figure it is a task within my area of achievement. Does anyone have directions? I do have a Bently Manual.

I'd like to tackle these projects within the next month, so you're timely feedback is most graciously appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

1 : You're gonna have to look. Are you in the rust belt?
2 : Balance issue. Bad tire, dinged rim are also possibilities..
3: Never did one on a 528e , but carefully read Bentley about head bolts., new exhaust hardware Gonna need a protractor or a 3rd stage torque spec. and a 1/2 drive torque wrench. Investigate a local place to check the head and bring it up to snuff. Also, when removing the head, back it off in stages. This will prevent the possibility of messing the head up. A valve grind gasket set including the various cam plugs and seals. Check out Rod Paine's site. for timing belt info.
mosportgreen66
Posts: 1091
Joined: Jul 26, 2006

Post by mosportgreen66 »

anyone else?
RonW
Posts: 5324
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Spring Sorting (odd issues with the e28)

Post by RonW »

mosportgreen66 wrote:1) I hear a bad chirping noise coming from the passenger side rear of the car when I drive over bumps and rough road. It seems like a body mount or body bushing has deteriorated. Could it be the dog bones? What do you suppose the issue is?
Don't know. Try pushing on the fender to see if you can reproduce the noise when the car is stationary- that might help you narrow it down. If the dogbones are shot, replace them regardless of whether they're the source of the noise.
mosportgreen66 wrote:2) There is a nasty wheel vibration at 50-60 mph and again at 80mph, however, the car is smooth at 70mph. What do you think the issue is?
Aside from what "a" said, it could be control arm bushings.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

X2 on the front suspension bushings.
mosportgreen66
Posts: 1091
Joined: Jul 26, 2006

Post by mosportgreen66 »

I'll start my investigation. thanks.
Dana R
Posts: 2022
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Winchester, MA

Post by Dana R »

Try greasing up the door latches and striker plates on the rear doors, which often squeak when dry.
Post Reply