BIG clunk sound at front driver wheel.

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
mook
Posts: 12
Joined: Nov 30, 2008

BIG clunk sound at front driver wheel.

Post by mook »

Greeting,

Wondering if someone could diagnose this problem in my 1982 528e.

So I was driving home on the highway 2am in the morning after a long ass day in the hospital. All of the sudden came this thunderous big ass loud bang in the driver side wheel and immediately followed by continuous clunk, clunk, clunk sound. It sounded like as if some front axle rod had broken and hitting some metal part as I continued to drive and attempted to pull over the highway shoulder.

I had no problem steering. I could restart the car without problem (although I thought I saw some smoke came from the hood initially...hmmmm.)

At first I thought it might be CVJoint, but it's a rear drive so that couldn't be it. But before I could think further, I fell asleep while waiting for Triple A.

I haven't gotten a chance to look under the hood as I am on call all freakin weekend. Can someone help me diagnose the problem? Thanks!
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

Not likely anything under the hood. Look under the car. Heck, without more, it sounds like you blew a tire or maybe a lug bolt sheared or fell out with the other four loose.

LOOK AT IT and get back to us. Probably only some minor obvious suspension thing.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

spring perch let go?
mook
Posts: 12
Joined: Nov 30, 2008

Post by mook »

Mystery solved.

I finally got to look into the problem. Turned out a section of the radial tire thread came off the wheel and hitting the fender.

Thanks for any advices. Appreciated.
skip535i
Posts: 5186
Joined: Oct 26, 2006
Location: Lynchburg, VA

Post by skip535i »

mook wrote:Mystery solved.

I finally got to look into the problem. Turned out a section of the radial tire thread came off the wheel and hitting the fender.

Thanks for any advices. Appreciated.
:wow:
Post Reply