odd electrical problem

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
mosportgreen66
Posts: 1091
Joined: Jul 26, 2006

odd electrical problem

Post by mosportgreen66 »

Hey Guys,

Today the OBC stopped working, as did the radio, interior lights and trunk lights, even the heater/ac control lights stopped work as well.

First thing I checked were the fuses. To my surprise, they all look to be in fine working order, not broken. I may replace the fuses regardless as they're 2.5 years old, but regardless, is there any e28 specific quark I should check or investigate?

Any help would be great!

-Dan
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

Check, retension contacts on fuses 5,6 and 12. If that doesnt work, take apart, clean ad tighten, the connections on the battery terminal. If that doesnt work, clean and tighten G200
mosportgreen66
Posts: 1091
Joined: Jul 26, 2006

Post by mosportgreen66 »

A, thanks a lot buddy!

What is a G200 though?

-Dan
nightmare_e28
Posts: 43
Joined: Jan 27, 2008

Post by nightmare_e28 »

one of the main grounding points, located behind the drivers side knee plate near the steering column. It is one bolt that accomodates many wires and grounds them to the chassis.
mosportgreen66
Posts: 1091
Joined: Jul 26, 2006

Post by mosportgreen66 »

Could you supply a reference photo? Thanks.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

mosportgreen66 wrote:Could you supply a reference photo? Thanks.
I did , there is a picture in ETM
rodpaine
Posts: 1392
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: 55 miles west of D.C. in northern VA
Contact:

G200 Ground Location

Post by rodpaine »

here is a much better picture of G200 from my web site.
HTH,
-Rod
mosportgreen66
Posts: 1091
Joined: Jul 26, 2006

Post by mosportgreen66 »

Thanks a bunch guys. I will report back with my findings a bit later.

-Dan
demetk
Posts: 8433
Joined: Aug 09, 2007
Location: CT, USA

Post by demetk »

I've have good results using nylon ties on the fuses:

Image
Last edited by demetk on Nov 29, 2012 11:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Re: G200 Ground Location

Post by shagrath »

rodpaine wrote:here is a much better picture of G200 from my web site.
HTH,
-Rod
How much you wanna bet its not G200, but qa loose fuse contact or broken fuse...
knunger
Posts: 756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tucson,AZ.

Thanks to Rod Paine for the 1000th time

Post by knunger »

I'm chasing an electrical gremlin so as my first step I'm eliminating ground issues. After squirming around under my steering column for forever I searched "G200 location" and immediately found this:

rodpaine wrote:here is a much better picture of G200 from my web site.
HTH,
-Rod
What an incredible resource is this forum. In 30 seconds it directed me (once again) to Mr. Paine's magnificent site. Thank you beemters and thank you Rod.

(my gremlin: when I hit the left turn signal my interior gong goes off and the lights don't blink!? Just started doing this last week after putting about 5000 miles on this 'new' 535is.

Any ideas?)
pleasefixitup
Posts: 1856
Joined: Nov 21, 2011
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois

Post by pleasefixitup »

in google search "bmw we do phones manual" and then click on your year and model bmw and then look under power distribution to see which fuse powers those features. if it doesn't "look" broken, it may still be broken. gotta pull the fuse out and actually look at it.
pleasefixitup
Posts: 1856
Joined: Nov 21, 2011
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois

Post by pleasefixitup »

check fuse 6. then check back here.
pleasefixitup
Posts: 1856
Joined: Nov 21, 2011
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois

Re: Thanks to Rod Paine for the 1000th time

Post by pleasefixitup »

knunger wrote:I'm chasing an electrical gremlin so as my first step I'm eliminating ground issues. After squirming around under my steering column for forever I searched "G200 location" and immediately found this:

rodpaine wrote:here is a much better picture of G200 from my web site.
HTH,
-Rod
What an incredible resource is this forum. In 30 seconds it directed me (once again) to Mr. Paine's magnificent site. Thank you beemters and thank you Rod.

(my gremlin: when I hit the left turn signal my interior gong goes off and the lights don't blink!? Just started doing this last week after putting about 5000 miles on this 'new' 535is.

Any ideas?)
excuse me, completely mis-read this. the gong is for when the outside temperature hits freezing (or just above, I forget) that is interesting.... now I feel like reading.
pleasefixitup
Posts: 1856
Joined: Nov 21, 2011
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois

Post by pleasefixitup »

ok - the "chime module" is at splice 207 or s207 in the schematic. I would also check your c219 connection.

the turn signals are grounded at g102 which is on the drivers side behind the headlights. there has to be something else, I just can't find it yet.
Post Reply