Valve covers

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Betty9000
Posts: 144
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: Lower Tundra, MN

Valve covers

Post by Betty9000 »

Do people put chrome valve covers or other dressed up items in their BMW engines? I don't see any pics or talk about it. When I was in So Cal, lots of old car enthusiasts did that. Is it tacky on a BMW or just not done? I'd like my engine to look a little better than it does.
Last edited by Betty9000 on Dec 05, 2008 12:36 AM, edited 2 times in total.
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

Appearance is a very subjective thing. But I hate chrome valve covers. I do like wrinkle coat, or hammer coat. My E28 has hammer coat copper color, my E12 black wrinkle coat. Even stock aluminum is just fine, but polished aluminum like a friend did to his back in the Bav days, or chrome doesn't look good to these eyes.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

I love them in bare aluminum - unless it's covered in cosmoline.
Betty9000
Posts: 144
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: Lower Tundra, MN

Post by Betty9000 »

So what is the "tasteful" thing to do, aside from pulling everything out and painting the interior? maybe chrome has seen it's day or is better suited to that big ol' '71 GMC pick up I used to own.
Brad D.
Posts: 10735
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Post by Brad D. »

I refinished my valve cover and intake with black wrinkle finish paint. It has a very modern, tasteful look and can be done very cheaply over a weekend.
Betty9000
Posts: 144
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: Lower Tundra, MN

Post by Betty9000 »

Love to see a photo.
Dinan e28
Posts: 3343
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Portland Oregon
Contact:

Post by Dinan e28 »

I hand polished mine ,but not to shiny.
rodpaine
Posts: 1392
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: 55 miles west of D.C. in northern VA
Contact:

Post by rodpaine »

Betty9000 wrote:Love to see a photo.
I've had both black and polished and most who have seen them at shows prefer the polished look. It's a personal thing, of course.
FWIW,
-Rod

Image

EDIT 12/6/08 - Here's two more pictures to illustrate comparisons between valve covers, FYI. The picture below was when I painted a cover semi-closs black and removed the paint with a small flat file on all raised surfaces. Not bad looking, but sure hard to keep clean in terms of dust and pollen. I hadn't yet delt with the rusty exhaust headers and there was no fan shroud, which is the way it came from BMW in October 1982.

Image

Image
This picture above was taken in 2000, after a spring tune-up and the engine has the stock valve cover, but all cramoline had been removed from everything and the aluminum surfaces had been scrubbed with various size wire brushes. The "yellow" tank hadn't been changed yet. The car was still making a 104 miles a day commute into the D.C. area. Wiping the engine bay down every week when I washed the car kept everything looking proper.

And yes, Shawn D. is correct, my preferences were molded by my 8 years on southern California drag strips in the late '50's and early '60's. Great days, indeed, even if they were a bit shiney. :D
FWIW,
-Rod
Last edited by rodpaine on Dec 06, 2008 9:20 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a
Posts: 2366
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: Housatonic, MA

Post by Son of a »

rodpaine wrote:
Betty9000 wrote:Love to see a photo.
I've had both black and polished and most who have seen them at shows prefer the polished look. It's a personal thing, of course.
FWIW,
-Rod

Image
While certainly a personal preference issue, keep a few things in mind. A polished valve cover looks great in Rod's engine bay because the rest of the engine is pristine. Its gorgeous. The same exact valve cover is not going to look as nice on an engine that is not as clean.
If you do not plan on spending the time to clean and detail your engine (and I certainly do not hold it against you if you don't) then you might want to consider some of the options that do better in more "real world" environments. Hammer coating, wrinkle coating and other applications work well in both black and matte silver finishes.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22377
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

IMO, chrome valve covers look best on cars that don't have a lot of "junk" around and on top of them. Rod's cover looks good because, while it's very shiny, it isn't reflective like chrome.

Personal style is subjective. Given Rod's formative years in racing in the '60s, I can see how he'd be accustomed to shiny stuff on engines. I do have chrome valve covers and other things on my '57 Chevy, but wouldn't put 'em on my BMW.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

I think they are best off painted in some tastefully 'BMW-like' manner. That can be anything from matching the exterior of the car to a crinkle finish to a white or black-based Motorsport scheme. I'm not a big fan of polishing or chrome.

Chrome is kind of a creeping sickness that eventually can completely overpower function. My proof is a first-generation Z-28 I once saw at The Milwaukee Classic car show. The owner had chromed everything that could be chromed in the suspension (as in, everything that could be taken off the car) as well as the brake calipers and the disks! Needless to say, chroming the disks made the car undriveable - or at least unstoppable. :roll: My position on that is, if you're going to have a pure display model, build one in 1/24 scale and set the f**ker on your desk! Don't go ruining a desirable driver for no better purpose and a whole lot more work.
Flip_Side_the_Pint
Posts: 374
Joined: Oct 11, 2006
Location: norcal

Post by Flip_Side_the_Pint »

my e28 is just plain stock, but my e30 is a red wrinkle finish and I really like the wrinkle finish look.

I have never heard of hammer finish though, what is it? can somone post a picture of it? :oops: :oops: I've probly seen it before but just don't know what its called.... :( :?
alpinacsi
Posts: 1126
Joined: May 10, 2007
Location: Atlanta GA

Post by alpinacsi »

Here is an example of the hammerite finish:

Image

Image
alpinacsi
Posts: 1126
Joined: May 10, 2007
Location: Atlanta GA

Post by alpinacsi »

Hammerite looks like severely fish eyed paint and is more noticeable in other colors that what Alpina used on their parts. I can remember tool boxes and various pieces of small equipment and machinery was commonly painted in this fashion.
duggi
Posts: 2427
Joined: Apr 26, 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Post by duggi »

Here's the valve cover I just put on my car. I think it looks very nice =)

Image
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

There was a guy who used to paint velve covers in the ///M technic colors and sold em for $65 on fleabay. But I just did a search and didn't see em. I don't know if his quality was any good. Hard to tell from the pics.

duggi, how do you paint the valve cover to look like that? I was thinking of doing mine in black with red stripes and logo
duggi
Posts: 2427
Joined: Apr 26, 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Post by duggi »

stikrz wrote:duggi, how do you paint the valve cover to look like that? I was thinking of doing mine in black with red stripes and logo
eBay. $26. It's a really great finish. It's high temp paint, matte finish on the black. The blue is semi-gloss, and the silver is just the aluminum that's been polished.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

duggi wrote:
stikrz wrote:duggi, how do you paint the valve cover to look like that? I was thinking of doing mine in black with red stripes and logo
eBay. $26. It's a really great finish. It's high temp paint, matte finish on the black. The blue is semi-gloss, and the silver is just the aluminum that's been polished.
You got the link? I did a search and didn't see anything interesting just now.
Betty9000
Posts: 144
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: Lower Tundra, MN

Post by Betty9000 »

Nice pics! I want to get my engine compartment cleaned up but I can do nothing about appearance issues until spring. . I wanted to dress up my engine a little. This gives me some ideas to think about until then. I just bought it and it has nice components such as premium spark plug wires. I AM missing a plastic cap for the spark plugs.
Even if you don't have a lot of time, one can still keep your engine clean. Anyone else want to show off what they've done?
Betty9000
Posts: 144
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: Lower Tundra, MN

Post by Betty9000 »

"Personal style is subjective. Given Rod's formative years in racing in the '60s, I can see how he'd be accustomed to shiny stuff on engines. I do have chrome valve covers and other things on my '57 Chevy, but wouldn't put 'em on my BMW"

That's what I was wondering. I went to a lot of car shows in Calif. in the '80s and chrome was very "in". I think it still looks nice on air cleaners and some older vehicles. I was just wondering what you all did with BMWs. Thanks.
Last edited by Betty9000 on Dec 18, 2008 11:51 AM, edited 1 time in total.
MAJSU_WuWuA
Posts: 174
Joined: Feb 28, 2007
Location: Poland - Warsaw
Contact:

Post by MAJSU_WuWuA »

I don`t like chromed valve covers on BMW too cause it ain`t a US car :)

My cover... powder coated.


Image

Image
JBort
Posts: 1631
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Loomis, California

Post by JBort »

My favorite:
Image
Betty9000
Posts: 144
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: Lower Tundra, MN

Post by Betty9000 »

Wow!!
cvillebimmer
Posts: 2043
Joined: May 29, 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA

Post by cvillebimmer »

I used high temp ceramic - matte. Quite pleased with how it came out. I'll probably do the venturi pipe and TB too.

Image
Scottinva
Posts: 3663
Joined: Dec 07, 2008
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Post by Scottinva »

cvillebimmer wrote:I used high temp ceramic - matte. Quite pleased with how it came out. I'll probably do the venturi pipe and TB too.

Image
This is my favorite look. I have heard it called crinkle black.
cvillebimmer
Posts: 2043
Joined: May 29, 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA

Post by cvillebimmer »

rodpaine wrote:
Betty9000 wrote:Love to see a photo.
I've had both black and polished and most who have seen them at shows prefer the polished look. It's a personal thing, of course.
FWIW,
-Rod

Image

EDIT 12/6/08 - Here's two more pictures to illustrate comparisons between valve covers, FYI. The picture below was when I painted a cover semi-closs black and removed the paint with a small flat file on all raised surfaces. Not bad looking, but sure hard to keep clean in terms of dust and pollen. I hadn't yet delt with the rusty exhaust headers and there was no fan shroud, which is the way it came from BMW in October 1982.
Where did you get that fan shroud?
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

i love them bead blasted, even better when you dont clean out the beads and install it on someones car :D
mercury26
Posts: 1068
Joined: Aug 08, 2008
Location: Westminster, CO

Post by mercury26 »

I like plain black powder coating, which I did on the following parts:
  • Valve Cover
    Intake Manifold
    Exhaust Manifolds (Ceramic Coating)
The following is what I still need to get powder coated:
  • New Fuel Tank
    Fuel Tank Heat Shields
    Intake Manifold Brackets
    Brake Calipers
I just like preventing future corrosion and the clean look of low gloss black powder coating.

Cheers,

Chuck
[/list]
LarryM
Posts: 1294
Joined: Feb 01, 2008
Location: SoCal

Post by LarryM »

Where's the best place that can do a first-class job powder coating while keeping the ribbing and other raised surfaces uncoated/polished? Is there a shop that specializes in doing this kind of work, or can any good powder coater do it?

I need to have my VC and intake manifold done.
cvillebimmer
Posts: 2043
Joined: May 29, 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA

Post by cvillebimmer »

Check with the reputable paints shops in town. I'm sure several will powder coat. Best way to do it will be to paint the whole thing and then grind down the ridges.
Post Reply