What is normal operating temperature?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Slaytanic-666
Posts: 861
Joined: Oct 05, 2008
Location: Van Isle, BC, Canada

What is normal operating temperature?

Post by Slaytanic-666 »

219 degrees F. or 90 degrees C. ? My temp gauge was reading about 225 at the high end...The PO had installed(an after market it has degree intervals on it) this gauge because the cluster gauge went...I'm sure it may be the si batteries...I have yet to get in there and replace the service interval batteries....
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

219 F does NOT equal 90 deg C.

Your car should be at or around 190-200 deg F on the open road, 210-220 deg F in heavy traffic in the summer.

Jeremy
Slaytanic-666
Posts: 861
Joined: Oct 05, 2008
Location: Van Isle, BC, Canada

Post by Slaytanic-666 »

Hmmm maybe this gauge sucks, from what I can tell from in heavy highway driving(passing cars hard hills) today it went up to 225 F and was starting to arc past that...but stopped...and thanks Jeremy for the info. :bawl:
Brad D.
Posts: 10735
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Post by Brad D. »

I can tell you for a fact my car never runs that hot even in the Texas summer with the AC on. Like Jeremy said its somewhere between 180 and 210 degrees depending on operating conditions.
Slaytanic-666
Posts: 861
Joined: Oct 05, 2008
Location: Van Isle, BC, Canada

Post by Slaytanic-666 »

Thank you...you could say I'm kinda of concerned.... :bawl:
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

Maybe the gauge is reading inaccurately. There are other ways to tell if the engine is running too hot. Mostly smell. Do you smell anti-freeze? Cooked oil? Is the car using coolant?
Slaytanic-666
Posts: 861
Joined: Oct 05, 2008
Location: Van Isle, BC, Canada

Post by Slaytanic-666 »

Heh yes I started a new thread because I just found a milky substance on my oil filler cap about an hour ago... coolant on inside of windshield heater core loss. No real smell inside passenger compartment, coolant loss out top of reservoir. I will keep you guys posted thanx man :bawl:
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

1st:
Explain this.
Slaytanic_Wehrmacht wrote:coolant on inside of windshield heater core loss.
2nd:
Slaytanic_Wehrmacht wrote:coolant loss out top of reservoir.
There is a kit you can buy that adds a chemical to your coolant that will change colors if exhaust gas interacts with it, telling you the condition of the head gasket, or a shop should be able to do it for you.
Slaytanic-666
Posts: 861
Joined: Oct 05, 2008
Location: Van Isle, BC, Canada

Post by Slaytanic-666 »

In the morning there seems to be a film on the window and I have squeeged the inside of the windshield clean with soap and water it was spotless...it was all gone, it seems to coming from the def vents up front. I still don't smell any coolant, nor do I remember smelling any, ever, in the passenger compartment. My buddy has all the tools for leak down, pressure testing, infra red temp gauge, all the equip needed to test anything thanx I have been keeping him updated...
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

This might help:

From Rod's page: http://www.mye28.com/tech/rods_pages/

Image
Slaytanic-666
Posts: 861
Joined: Oct 05, 2008
Location: Van Isle, BC, Canada

Post by Slaytanic-666 »

Thanx man but the cluster gauge is not werking...check "Milky substance" post by me I have a pic that I took today of it...at it's highest temp today after new reservoir cap, and bar's and alum-a-seal was put in yesterday....
Post Reply