Odometer

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Rhino

Odometer

Post by Rhino »

I am getting a new speedo and i would like to change my odo. Is it possible to do.I want them to match so i dont lose my miles.

Thanks
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22376
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

I simply took a small DC motor, hooked it up to a variable power supply, and ran a belt (i.e. rubber band) from the motor shaft to the input gear of the odometer (you'll have to remove some parts on the side to do this) and ran it for tens of thousands of miles until the odometer from the donor matched the odometer on the busted speedo. I held the motor and speedo down on a board with some clamps. This was on my 528e.
alotawatts
Posts: 836
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: WA

Fraud

Post by alotawatts »

I suggest this thread be deleted. This type of discussion / info is not allowed in many auto/truck forums !!!!!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Jan24.html
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

According to this from the article you posted, this shouldn't be a problem. Rhino just wants to make sure the mileage on the new cluster matches the old.
Bethesda, Md.: RE: Odometer setting... so what if my speedometer broke and I buy a whole instr. panel from a junkyard? That odometer will be incorrect... then what?

Richard C. Morse: The replacement odometer should be set to reflect the vehicle's true mileage. If that is not possible, the odometer may be reset to zero. But then it is required that a sticker be placed on the doorjamb indicating the date of the replacement and mileage of the odometer replaced.
alotawatts
Posts: 836
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: WA

Post by alotawatts »

I'm not questioning Rhino's honesty or anyone else here but out of say 30 people that re-clock their odometer how many do you think will make a match to their original odometer count AND go through the time and effort to find an appropriate sticker to put in the door jam ?
You must understand that I have never done anything dishonest in my life :)
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

I got a euro cluster and wanted the speedo to match my milage so the car woukld be more honest..... Have faith
Post Reply