My car is leaking something.

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
sIIooo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 19, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

My car is leaking something.

Post by sIIooo »

Quick question I have a 535i 5 speed and I have noticed that my car is leaking a lot of red fluid. I cant think of what it is, I was thinking power steering but the power steering fluid that I can see in there is not red. Any ideas of what it is and how to fix it?
mosportgreen66
Posts: 1091
Joined: Jul 26, 2006

Post by mosportgreen66 »

ATF?
sIIooo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 19, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by sIIooo »

Ya thats the only fluid I can think of but its a 5 speed.
MShimon
Posts: 960
Joined: Feb 12, 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by MShimon »

perhaps power steering fluid?
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22376
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

When you say the PS fluid is not red, are you looking in the gold canister with the knob in the top?

FWIW, some 5-speed transmissions are specified to run ATF. Are you sure yours hasn't been serviced with that?
sIIooo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 19, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by sIIooo »

ya I looked in the correct spot. I'm not to sure what fluid it has in the tranny I just bought the car a couple days ago, and was told that it was power steering fluid that was leaking but the power steering fluid he gave me that he has been putting in there isnt red. I think I saw it dripping out of a hose in the engine bay but i couldn't really see it that well.
redstu
Posts: 96
Joined: Sep 19, 2007

Post by redstu »

Must be power steering fluid, the only other hoses would be petrol or coolant. You'll need to clean the hose to determine where the leak is, it might be a loose union.
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

If you are putting anything other than Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid (or a synthetic equivalent) in your power steering reservoir you are not doing your car any favors.
sIIooo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 19, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by sIIooo »

I am using synthetic power steering fluid.
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

The system was/is designed to run with Automatic Transmission Fluid not Power Steering Fluid.
BRRV
Posts: 3163
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Pensacola, Gulf of America

Post by BRRV »

The car you're driving doesn't use "power steering fluid" - it uses ATF (Dextron II) for the power assist. While some will say it doesn't matter, I don't agree, otherwise, why'd they spec it? You need to use any good quality ATF - I use a Valvoline MaxLife product.

The ONLY red fluid you should be leaking would be ATF. Perhaps someone just topped up the system with the wrong stuff and the red ATF is leaking out of any number of places.

Beyond that, as mentioned, your 5-speed transmission could be filled with ATF (it can be used in cold temperatures).

Running the power steering pump dry will seize the pump, so you need to find out where this is leaking from. Are you getting any groaning noises at startup or when you turn the wheel? This would be a clue that the pump is starving and that there is air in the system.

First thing I would do is a search for power steering - there was a recent thread about leakage like this. Also, buy a Bentley Manual for the E28 - it will answer most of your questions. Those it doesn't answer can be answered here.

Good Luck...
sIIooo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 19, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by sIIooo »

ok well since I just got the car 3 days ago I wasnt aware of this I will make sure I go and get some ATF tonight and I will check for the leak as well. Its not making any groaning noises right now cause I'm making sure I keep it full of fluid. Also I live in San Diego and I just bought some royal purple MTF is that ok to use in the tranny?
BRRV
Posts: 3163
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Pensacola, Gulf of America

Post by BRRV »

I'm not familiar with that Royal Purple product - I just went to their website and didn't find that particular one. Are you talking about Synchromax? For your car, they are recommending a Royal Purple SAE 30 motor oil. I wouldn't do that.

Your cars 5-speed transmission calls for an SAE 80, GL-4, non-hypoid lubricant. Any good quality synthetic that meets that specification would be fine. Many people here use Redline MTL.

You can also use ATF, or a BMW-approved straight weight engine oil (which is probably what Royal Purple is). For me, Redline MTL is the product of choice.
sIIooo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 19, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by sIIooo »

Ya its the syncromax.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

granted it was only a lowly 528e, but the Grape showed no ill effects from running PS fluid for a yr or so until I got around to replacing the return hose with a piece of heater hose :rofl: But Mark is right. Find the leak and fix it, then use Dex III ATF
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

The Synchromax should work fine in the manual trans, but I had bad luck with it. I think it was just because the synchros in my trans were worn though...
bmw4aaron
Posts: 1261
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Fishersville, VA
Contact:

Post by bmw4aaron »

sIIooo wrote:Ya its the syncromax.
I'm running syncromax in the V8's 6speed trans, and maxgear in the diff. Don't have any issues shifting at any temps. Had redline in previously, night and day difference. I highly recommend Royal Purple.
Mike W.
Posts: 27986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

I am of the opinion/suspicion that power steering fluid is just expensive ATF, but without the red dye. Granted, I don't know if it's dextron or type F or whatever, but since dextron is the most common, I'd guess it's that.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22376
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

Mike W. wrote:I am of the opinion/suspicion that power steering fluid is just expensive ATF, but without the red dye. Granted, I don't know if it's dextron or type F or whatever, but since dextron is the most common, I'd guess it's that.
It can't be Dextron, cause there's no such thing. ;)
sIIooo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 19, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by sIIooo »

So is there a hose that normally breaks on these cars?
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22376
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

sIIooo wrote:So is there a hose that normally breaks on these cars?
No. You'll have to clean the area and see where the leak is. A common leak is an o-ring inside the booster, at the master cylinder end. It's not an expensive fix, but it's of moderate difficulty/frustration. Let's not fixate on this possibility until you've done some investigation.
sIIooo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 19, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by sIIooo »

But would that be leaking ATF?
andeez
Posts: 137
Joined: Dec 13, 2007

Post by andeez »

Yes. The brake booster runs on pressure from the power steering system instead of vacuum...so, they are connected.

Mine leaks there too, but not real badly. The o-ring used is a 38x3. I bought mine from McMaster Carr because they sell Viton rubber ones.

Checking this is real simple and takes 10 seconds. Just reach under and feel the area where your brake master cylinder is bolted to the booster. If there's fresh fluid clinging to the bottom of these items, that's your leak.
filmy
Posts: 674
Joined: Jul 04, 2006

Post by filmy »

Shawn D. wrote:It's not an expensive fix, but it's of moderate difficulty/frustration.
Truer words were never [written].
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

ALL of the power steering and ATF containing hoses leak on these cars...
sIIooo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 19, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by sIIooo »

Cool thanks guys I will look at that tonight after I get off work.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22376
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

sIIooo wrote:But would that be leaking ATF?
Why else would I have mentioned it? :dunno: Sorry, but I find it annoying when someone who knows little to nothing about something questions the advice of someone who is knowledgeable about the subject.
sIIooo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 19, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by sIIooo »

Just wanted to make sure. I did check under the booster and that seems to be where it is coming from so I will change that seal in there just waiting on the repair manual.
andeez
Posts: 137
Joined: Dec 13, 2007

Post by andeez »

The Bentley doesn't tell you how to do that job.

This will, however.

It's not a 10 minute job, just so you're aware.
sIIooo
Posts: 31
Joined: Jan 19, 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by sIIooo »

Thanks a lot thats great I love this site defiantly a lot more helpful people than the other sites.
Post Reply