If you were totally stripping an e30 what colour would chose

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
slave2school
Posts: 371
Joined: Aug 23, 2007
Location: NS, Canada

If you were totally stripping an e30 what colour would chose

Post by slave2school »

So I have my project car and it is getting painted. I already have something in mind, and my wife likes blue. I have never driven a blue car before :) Currently the car is red the really bright brilliant red I believe.

Any other cool/interesting classy colours would be appreciated before the supplies are bought.

This is my vote Lexus Spectra Blue http://www.primequip.net/products/Proje ... ices.htm#3
Santah
Posts: 115
Joined: Sep 24, 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by Santah »

Dark blues are my fav car colour. That lexus blue looks fantastic imo.
bmw4aaron
Posts: 1261
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Fishersville, VA
Contact:

Post by bmw4aaron »

I've been wanting to paint an e28 or e30, Imola Red II
slave2school
Posts: 371
Joined: Aug 23, 2007
Location: NS, Canada

Post by slave2school »

Imola Red II looks very nice in the sun (from tthe pics I googled). I had a Golf that was "flashrot", also very nice in the sun, but turned orange way too fast unless I washed it nearly daily.
BOOMER5
Posts: 323
Joined: Feb 12, 2007
Location: N.Y./Fl.

Post by BOOMER5 »

If I had to pick a color other than red,it would be LeMans blue.

Image
LA
Posts: 1560
Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Winchester TN

paint

Post by LA »

Sorry to be a party pooper but having done it both ways I have to recommend going back with the original color.

By the time you deal with engine compartment, trunk, door jambs an other obscure areas, you will have over twice the amount of time in your effort. I will never again change the color of a car...but the 914 did look great in Guards Red compaired to the gold original color!
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

I used to agree with LA. I was then shown the fact by both Bill in MN and Al Canuck that if someone is going to go through the trouble and expense of restoring a car - especially one that is not of immense value - he or she has the right to choose the color.

Personally, I'd keep it red. Red E30s look sharp. If you must change the color, how about a period color - like Lapisblau.
slave2school
Posts: 371
Joined: Aug 23, 2007
Location: NS, Canada

Post by slave2school »

Hmm LeMans Blue is nice too. I don't really care for Lapis, it looks like an old man's blue for some reason.

Well this is my baby and my friend is equally crazy as am I and the guts of the car are all just about out of it right now anyway so it isn't that much trouble (the engine is coming out so he can do some head work, ceramic coat the manifold, powder coat this and that etc). 3" exhaust/downpipe heh, hopefully big enough.

I guess I know I should keep with the original colour since it is a European import I found in a wrecking yard, but I don't plan on selling this car for profit. It is my stripped down euro diesel cruiser (manual sunroof, seats, windows, no a/c). The only power option is the wide angle blue euro mirrors and a half functional OBC. I am having the tar all taken out for a bit of weight savings, upping the fueling/boost and have a set of budget coil over conversion springs I am going to play around with :) I'm even leaving the euro hitch on it since I plan to tow a tent trailer with it at some point (although tow chain provisions will have to be welded on and we may change the ball to the N/A standard size).

Sadly the big hitch in my restoration is that I will be taking a 4.5 month long course in washington for my job, then moving promptly after! So I am just funding the project from this point onward :( I leave Jan 3 for McChord AFB to learn all about the new c17's we have in Trenton, Ontario.

If I had big balls I'd go for an indigo blue but I don't want to be noticed that much.

This is the red it is:

Image

Some random shots:
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

(far from finished yet, my friend is having some heat issues in his shop that are slowing our progress and I live 2hrs away)

since mine was damaged along with the rear quarter from a pick up truck I think (from the height of the hit).

Image
B_Newman
Posts: 936
Joined: Feb 15, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Post by B_Newman »

Leave it red. I was never a fan of red, but I have grown to love it as I've aged.
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

henna red
Ben
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: New Haven, CT

Post by Ben »

Bah, you guys are not thinking clearly. ;) The obvious choice for blue is Macao Blue, available on the Cecotto/Ravaglia/Europameister '88/Evo II E30 M3

Image
Image
Image

:Drooooooool
LA
Posts: 1560
Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Winchester TN

fact

Post by LA »

Based on two things:

a) 'the guts of the car are all just about out of it right now anyway so it isn't that much trouble (the engine is coming out...' and

b) The 'FACT' as submitted by wkohler -- '...he or she has the right to choose the color.'

I say change the color to LeMans Blue! :banana:
slave2school
Posts: 371
Joined: Aug 23, 2007
Location: NS, Canada

Post by slave2school »

yeah I just looked at some more pictures...LeMans is HOT, not as "classy" as a dark blue but HOT. I'll have to torture myself for a while and think things over hahaha.

Isn't that macao purple?! ;)
LA
Posts: 1560
Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Winchester TN

what?

Post by LA »

wkohler wrote: ...' I was then shown the fact ... if someone is going to go through the trouble and expense of restoring a car - especially one that is not of immense value - he or she has the right to choose the color.
Did these guys keep an original color & live to regret it?
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: what?

Post by wkohler »

LA wrote:
wkohler wrote: ...' I was then shown the fact ... if someone is going to go through the trouble and expense of restoring a car - especially one that is not of immense value - he or she has the right to choose the color.
Did these guys keep an original color & live to regret it?
No. I decided to run my keyboard because I like Safaribeige and wouldn't mind Graphite to keep it original. I was then put in my place because Henna is a far superior color, and since it was their cars, they could do as they pleased. Then the clouds moved from my eyes and I realized for the first time in life that another person could, in fact, be correct.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

Spruce green metallic, a Mercury color from the 70s.Sorta emerald green. Yeah yeah , I know it isnt an E-28 green, but Ive yet to see an E28 green that was to my liking
Mless5
Posts: 4033
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marblehead, MA

Post by Mless5 »

Inka orange

Image
slave2school
Posts: 371
Joined: Aug 23, 2007
Location: NS, Canada

Post by slave2school »

Mless5 wrote:Inka orange

Image
My father in law has a 2002Tii (think the tii part is true) in that colour, it is pretty neat :)
KingCast
Posts: 1753
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: Boston, MA

I still vote for red or inka

Post by KingCast »

I dunno... when you start changing colours, what a PITA but if you're in for a dime in for a dollar I guess so rock on. I have seen an early E21 in Inka and it works fine.

The E30 might too..... but it would be the last 3 series to look good in that colour for sure.

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com/20 ... 3-bmw.html

Image
ledfoot87
Posts: 341
Joined: May 17, 2007
Location: marin county, CA
Contact:

Post by ledfoot87 »

i'd go with the lemans blue if you want blue. i personally like metallic darker grey colors because they're easy enough to keep clean but they blend in with everything. i don't like being noticed.
slave2school
Posts: 371
Joined: Aug 23, 2007
Location: NS, Canada

Post by slave2school »

It look OK for sure.

Image

That is likely photo shopped a bit so the colours are off..hard to say actually. The source page said that the car was Inka but I'm not so sure..
KingCast
Posts: 1753
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: Boston, MA

That's a nice orange.

Post by KingCast »

That is nice whatever it is.

It's has more blue in it than Inka as it appears on this page but still quite nice. It is of course very noticable, but my E12 was red and I got no more tickets than in anything else which is to say, none.

Haven't had a speed since 2002 (funny, huh) knock on wood.
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

filmy
Posts: 674
Joined: Jul 04, 2006

Post by filmy »

As long as you're going to change it... I'm a big fan of Laguna Seca Blue. Non-metallic, bright as hell - almost turquoise. It's a BMW color, though not period correct. Depends on how sporty you're gonna make it. LS Blue would look gay rolling on stock suspension, wheels and tires. (Not that "gay's" a bad thing...)
Raj
Posts: 552
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: monterey

Post by Raj »

1. Imola Red II
2. Laguna Seca Blue
3. Inka Orange
slave2school
Posts: 371
Joined: Aug 23, 2007
Location: NS, Canada

Post by slave2school »

filmy wrote:As long as you're going to change it... I'm a big fan of Laguna Seca Blue. Non-metallic, bright as hell - almost turquoise. It's a BMW color, though not period correct. Depends on how sporty you're gonna make it. LS Blue would look gay rolling on stock suspension, wheels and tires. (Not that "gay's" a bad thing...)
:) I plan on keeping the bottlecaps for a while, though it will be lowered around an inch. Likely not much more than an inch ever because I an enjoy suspension travel and my oil pan :D

The only colour out is Inka, since my wife HATES orange or yellow.
go4carter
Posts: 373
Joined: Oct 21, 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by go4carter »

Alpine White is my favourite BMW colour... and it's the most flexible in accepting different colour wheels. New shoes, new car.
After that, I'd lean towards a midnight blue or agate green.
And if you can deal with the upkeep, black e30s always look mean.
tacm
Posts: 2989
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by tacm »

I just did mine...and it was ALMOST totally striped. i chose Polaris and am very happy.....as soon as the bumpers arive ill post pictures
kway
Posts: 455
Joined: Apr 25, 2007
Location: Nashua, NH
Contact:

Post by kway »

For a dark blue, I've always been partial to Avus. Image
Steve in No Va
Posts: 190
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by Steve in No Va »

I always liked Montego Blue. It is a Mazda color that was introduced on the 3rd gen RX7. It's a dark blue that turns to dark green at certain angles and lighting.

As far as reds go, Zinoberot is the closest thing to Guards Red (Porsche) I've seen on a car. Looks great on my 535is. The other BMW reds look more faded, orangy or washed out.
Post Reply