17" - what size?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
Mless5
Posts: 4033
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marblehead, MA

17" - what size?

Post by Mless5 »

I have an opportunity to pick up some 17" wheels for my lowered 535, was wondering what is the correct tire size for these would be if I have trimmed lips on the back. They belong to e39 originally.

Thanks.
Justin_FL
MyE28 IT Guru
MyE28 IT Guru
Posts: 2838
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Palm Beach
Contact:

Post by Justin_FL »

What width of wheels are they? On the E39 a 235/45-17 is called for the 8" non-staggered sport wheels and that is what most E28 guys can use, too. The Shawn D. spreadsheet has other combinations.

But having done it, I'm not a big fan of 17s on the E28-- I have some 16s in the garage.
Mless5
Posts: 4033
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marblehead, MA

Post by Mless5 »

8.5 in the rear. Does the handling go down the drain with 17"?
skip535i
Posts: 5186
Joined: Oct 26, 2006
Location: Lynchburg, VA

Post by skip535i »

Mless5 wrote:8.5 in the rear. Does the handling go down the drain with 17"?
It did in my car...but other's have had positive things to say.

My 17"s weighed more that 16s, and added too much unsprung weight, handling went down the drain.
Azure
Posts: 1480
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Azure »

What's the offset? That's going to play a big factor in your tire size.

I run 17x8.5s myself, but they're BBS RK which are quite light for a 17, I don't notice any ill effects in handling, as a matter of fact, the combination (rim and tire) weighs almost the same as a factory TRX or a 15" style 5 (which was mounted prior).
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

225/45R17 is the correct e28 tire size. A lot of people run 235/45R17 without issue, but overall circumference is a tad tall and throws off the speedo/odo by a bit. Both of these will likely require at least a little rolling or trimming on an e28 when used with typical e39/e34 17 inch wheels, but you might get lucky if you use the narrower tires.

Jeremy
Mr. E28
Posts: 1166
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Woodbridge, VA

Post by Mr. E28 »

My handling was improved upon switching (as far as cornering is concerned) to my style 19's. I was originally running the 235/45's, but felt they were unecessarily large being that the size was spec'd for the e39's heft/gearing. Never had any rubbing once I installed my mtechs, but I went to a 225/45 size anyway. I still want to try a 235/40 tire.
Mless5
Posts: 4033
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marblehead, MA

Post by Mless5 »

Jeremy wrote:225/45R17 is the correct e28 tire size. A lot of people run 235/45R17 without issue, but overall circumference is a tad tall and throws off the speedo/odo by a bit. Both of these will likely require at least a little rolling or trimming on an e28 when used with typical e39/e34 17 inch wheels, but you might get lucky if you use the narrower tires.

Jeremy
Jeremy, I know you were running style 5, what are your thoughts on 17" vs 16"?

Thanks.
Skeen
Posts: 2208
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Post by Skeen »

Mr. E28 wrote:I still want to try a 235/40 tire.
Don't. I ran that size before switching to 16s. I plan to go back to 17s sometime, but it will be a 45 series tire.
Karl Grau
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: 1930's Germany

Post by Karl Grau »

Jeremy wrote:225/45R17 is the correct e28 tire size. A lot of people run 235/45R17 without issue, but overall circumference is a tad tall and throws off the speedo/odo by a bit. Both of these will likely require at least a little rolling or trimming on an e28 when used with typical e39/e34 17 inch wheels, but you might get lucky if you use the narrower tires.

Jeremy
Jeremy is right, 235s are too tall. A lot of us run them because that was what was mounted on the style 5s when we bought 'em :)
And as Azure said offset makes it or breaks it.

These are both 17x8 et20 wheels but the one on the left is 235 and the one on the right is 225. No rubbing issues front or rear with rolled fenders.
Image

The 4th from left is a 17x9 et24 with 255/40/17s, and it doesn’t rub at all with rolled fenders.

Image

This is a 17x9 et20 with 255/40/17s and if a butterfly farts in Zimbabwe the tires will rub.

Image
Ricky535
Posts: 1014
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Diego

Post by Ricky535 »

255/40/17 tires, et20 on the rear wheels. Rubs under hard acceleration. BAS springs and bilstein HD's

[img][img]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o272 ... ure014.jpg[/img][/img]
Mless5
Posts: 4033
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marblehead, MA

Post by Mless5 »

Modified fender lips?
Ricky535 wrote:255/40/17 tires, et20 on the rear wheels. Rubs under hard acceleration. BAS springs and bilstein HD's

[img][img]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o272 ... ure014.jpg[/img][/img]
Ricky535
Posts: 1014
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Diego

Post by Ricky535 »

Oh yeah forgot about the louisville slugger rolled fender lip.
Post Reply