Replica license plates

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
Karl Grau
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: 1930's Germany

Replica license plates

Post by Karl Grau »

I found a good source for replica plates if anyone is looking.

I know it’s different in every state but here in Cali the plate style and color changed over the years.
When I bought my 37 year old 911 it was missing the original front plate and I was always paranoid I would get a ticket and have to go in a get a set of “new” plates. Once that happens you’re stuck with them and you lose that period correct look.

The company is http://licenseplates.tv/. The only problem was that they won’t ship a replica Cali plate to Cali residents and won’t even let you bill to a credit card with a Cali address even if it’s shipped outside Cali. If you live ANYWHERE else you’re fine.

Ray in Phoenix was kind enough to be the middle man (Thanks Ray!) and I received it today. The fonts and colors are spot on. The spacing on “CALIFORNIA” is a bit off but nothing that the average traffic cop (who wasn’t even born when they were discontinued) would notice.

Anyhoo, If you're looking to keep that vintage look, give ‘em a try.

Kind of a crappy pic because it was starting to get dark but here's the replica next to the original

Image


And the replica

Image
bmwm3n528
Posts: 1715
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Hickory, NC

Post by bmwm3n528 »

Very cool!
SD45T-2

Post by SD45T-2 »

that is soo cool!
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Sweet!

Glad to hear you got one and it looks as good as it does.
Ray in Phoenix
Posts: 1444
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by Ray in Phoenix »

Hey, don't mention my name! :argue:
You know that Big Brother is looking for guys like me,
that is why they would not send the plate to CA.
Tell everyone that TT did it for you, he has the reputation
for being a rebel.
I still owe you,
Thanks
Ray :alright:
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22377
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

That's very cool! I can see why you'd want that kind of period-correct replica on your car, but GA plates have usually been pretty fugly until the late '80s when they started using better color combos and brought out "affinity" plates.

Here's an example of an '83 GA tag I made using the ACME License Maker:

Image

The current GA tags are pretty nice looking. I have these on my cars:

Image

Image

Image

Image
mogie
Posts: 2575
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Norwalk, CT

Post by mogie »

Cool! Thanks for the link
RonP
Posts: 3581
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sunset Beach, California
Contact:

Post by RonP »

Charles,

Now you need the replica month sticker and it will be complete. You know, the old school red lines?
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

I wish I could get a red plate for my car. Of course it wasn't registered here until oh, a couple weeks ago. :roll: Stupid desert and purple cacti.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

Ray in Phoenix wrote:Hey, don't mention my name! :argue:
You know that Big Brother is looking for guys like me,
that is why they would not send the plate to CA.
Tell everyone that TT did it for you, he has the reputation
for being a rebel.
I still owe you,
Thanks
Ray :alright:
LoL, just don't ask what's been done to help out the Canadians. :laugh:

Jeremy
SD45T-2

Post by SD45T-2 »

wkohler wrote:I wish I could get a red plate for my car. Of course it wasn't registered here until oh, a couple weeks ago. :roll: Stupid desert and purple cacti.

I also think the red plate looks better, Ray is such a cool guy he gave me the orignal plates when it was bought from Linda brock back in the day
Post Reply