LOOK: 528ES IN MOVIES & VIDEOS--COLDPLAY MOTHMAN LETH WE

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Locked
WhgHouseCat
Posts: 62
Joined: Jul 06, 2006
Location: WHEELING, WV

LOOK: 528ES IN MOVIES & VIDEOS--COLDPLAY MOTHMAN LETH WE

Post by WhgHouseCat »

Yes, an ebay listing sparked this post:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 57625&rd=1

Go into it and then the copy & paste the links within the listing and asked questions.

Has anyone seen Mothman? It is actually very scary and based on alleged true events.

I also know there is a red one in Lethal Weapon, but I don't have the link.

Why are they always crashing such awesome cars in the movies when they are featured? :( !!!

They would make great getaway cars for bank robberies with lots of action!!!

This post WELCOMES the comments of others. Do you guys know of any other places where e28s are featured? Post your links... H
TT
Posts: 398
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: East Mesa, AZ

Post by TT »

Search the archives. This has been covered over and over.

I just did a few simple searches and found everything I could ever want to know about this topic.
mogie
Posts: 2575
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Norwalk, CT

Post by mogie »

Theres a lot of e28s in movies, like TT said you can search quickly and easily and find several resources where they have a list of all movies with e28s

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=35 ... ght=movies

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=36 ... ght=movies

There's a couple but there are some more threads out there as well. I didnt know there was one in Mothman or Lethal weapon. I guess i got to watch them again then :)

Forgot to add this is my favorite link. I like how they have snapshots of them also!

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=BMW&page=33


[/url]
Last edited by mogie on Aug 10, 2007 12:45 PM, edited 3 times in total.
WhgHouseCat
Posts: 62
Joined: Jul 06, 2006
Location: WHEELING, WV

Here we go again...

Post by WhgHouseCat »

Mark M, this isn't to you. You were respectful and your links gave some great information!!!...

Before it starts ...

Please keep this post friendly and leave negative connotations out of it. I have never seen posts about this before, and I KNOW there are other members who would like to participate without making comments that go down the wrong road. Not all of us are completely computer savvy or spend our whole days online.

This is what causes problems on mye28.com.

I am very annoyed by this behavior! If you've seen it before, and can't remain pleasant or civil, don't write a comment or look at it.

Someone wrote a comment telling Shawn to erase my post already--how rude can you be--hence this post.

The ebay listing is new, and I didn't know the information. It got me thinking about it.

BE RESPECTFUL TO ALL MYE28ERS. To the instigators: Practice what you preach instead of selectively doing so. This place should be welcoming to ALL E28 lovers!
Last edited by WhgHouseCat on Aug 10, 2007 2:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22377
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Re: Here we go again...

Post by Shawn D. »

WhgHouseCat wrote:Someone wrote a comment telling Shawn to erase my post already--how rude can you be--hence this post.
Really? Did they delete (or have a Beamter delete) their post in this thread? I don't see such a comment and nobody contacted me in any way about it. Neverminding all that -- us Beamters do not go around deleting folks' posts because other folks ask us to do so. We've said that repeatedly.

BTW, the Coldplay and Mothman sightings have already been discussed... :D
mogie
Posts: 2575
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Norwalk, CT

Post by mogie »

BTW, the Coldplay and Mothman sightings have already been discussed
I missed them then as well, i didnt know there was one in those movies well theres something i learned today :)
Azure
Posts: 1480
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Azure »

wtb movie sticky. that is all.
CT533i
Posts: 535
Joined: May 30, 2007
Location: CT

Re: LOOK: 528ES IN MOVIES & VIDEOS--COLDPLAY MOTHMAN LET

Post by CT533i »

WhgHouseCat wrote:I also know there is a red one in Lethal Weapon, but I don't have the link.

This post WELCOMES the comments of others. Do you guys know of any other places where e28s are featured? Post your links... H
Hey there. I unlike many like this topic. The place for finding out what car is in what movie is www.imcdb.org - I'm a contributor mainly for 70's-80's Bimmers.

There is no E28 in Lethal Weapon that I'm aware of. There is a red Audi 5000CS Turbo or Quattro towards the end (the rear sorta looks like an E28). A red `87 M6 is in Lethal Wepon 2. Fabulous opening scene! http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1897-BMW-M6-E24-1987.html

Mothman Prophecies info: http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_5298-BMW-5 ... -1986.html
Last edited by CT533i on Aug 10, 2007 3:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.
mogie
Posts: 2575
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Norwalk, CT

Post by mogie »

I'm with you Adrian! I love this topic, every time i see someone mention a movie with an e28 in it, it makes me want to watch it again

+1 Azure. I say movie sticky
dauer
Posts: 324
Joined: Mar 19, 2006
Location: Foster, RI

Post by dauer »

It's funny this topic emerged again as I just saw "Bruce Almighty" and towards the end of the movie there's a scene where an E28 535i (I believe) is broken down and holding up traffic. The driver was obviously not a member of MyE28.com as none of us would ever allow are highly prized vehicles to deteriorate to such a condition that would result in a roadside break down. :rofl:
mogie
Posts: 2575
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Norwalk, CT

Post by mogie »

It's funny this topic emerged again as I just saw "Bruce Almighty" and towards the end of the movie there's a scene where an E28 535i (I believe) is broken down and holding up traffic. The driver was obviously not a member of MyE28.com as none of us would ever allow are highly prized vehicles to deteriorate to such a condition that would result in a roadside break down.
Yeah saw that, the bronzit one i think it was. No more blowing them up, crashing them, drowning them, or breaking down. All e28s need to be in chase scenes and evading the police and doing cool stuff hehe
CT533i
Posts: 535
Joined: May 30, 2007
Location: CT

Post by CT533i »

dauer wrote:It's funny this topic emerged again as I just saw "Bruce Almighty" and towards the end of the movie there's a scene where an E28 535i (I believe) is broken down and holding up traffic. The driver was obviously not a member of MyE28.com as none of us would ever allow are highly prized vehicles to deteriorate to such a condition that would result in a roadside break down. :rofl:
It's a 528e. http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1910-BMW-5 ... -1985.html

A few other common US movies with a US E28: The Crying Game, The Survivors, Clean and Sober and Splash (of course).

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_27219-BMW-5-E28-1985.html
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_26365-BMW- ... -1985.html
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_27220-BMW- ... -1983.html

One of the best chase scenes with an E28 is Octopussy (Police cars) and The Peacemaker:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_10298-BMW- ... -1982.html
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1912-BMW-520-E28-1985.html

[/url]
WhgHouseCat
Posts: 62
Joined: Jul 06, 2006
Location: WHEELING, WV

stand corrected

Post by WhgHouseCat »

You're right CT, it was an M6 in Lethal Weapon. I drool over those too, yet I haven't gotten to drive one yet to see how it feels different (6-series). It had all of the gold in the trunk, right?
Azure
Posts: 1480
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Azure »

mogie wrote:I'm with you Adrian! I love this topic, every time i see someone mention a movie with an e28 in it, it makes me want to watch it again

+1 Azure. I say movie sticky
I make a habit of asking for a movie sticky every time this comes up. One day I might get my wish ;)
mogie
Posts: 2575
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Norwalk, CT

Post by mogie »

I dont know why no one has, i mean its not like anything bad will come of it or cause the world to end. It would be a nice sticky since its an ongoing discussion that is always brought up and added to
CT533i
Posts: 535
Joined: May 30, 2007
Location: CT

Re: stand corrected

Post by CT533i »

WhgHouseCat wrote:You're right CT, it was an M6 in Lethal Weapon. I drool over those too, yet I haven't gotten to drive one yet to see how it feels different (6-series). It had all of the gold in the trunk, right?
That's the one. I saw this in the theater when I was 9. You could only imagine my reaction when I saw it. :shock: :D

The sound of that M6 sounds an awful lot like the 750iL in the Last Boy Scout.

I've driven 3 M6's and a 635csi. How do they feel different from a E28? Well, they sit lower, it's easier to see the tops of gauges (slightly), they feel a little heavier and more nose heavy. The M's don't feel all that special around town (under 3,500). But my God, when you hit 90, it turns into a rocket.

I agree, a sticky would be nice. 8)
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22377
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

mogie wrote:I say movie sticky
Azure wrote:I make a habit of asking for a movie sticky every time this comes up. One day I might get my wish ;)
Dammit, why do folks want so damned many stickies about everything? As I said here (in specific response to you, Glenn), that crap will end up like Mercedesshop.com and the first 1/3 of each page will be taken up by stickies that become old news really quickly.

What I'd support is a single FAQ forum thread (NOT a sticky in another forum) wherein there is a list of links to other threads where, for example, the first post is edited each time a new E28 movie/TV/video/ad/whatnot sighting is made:

"Subjects That Have Been Played-Out/Over-Discussed" or something of the like, which could include:
  • E28s in movies/TV shows/videos/advertisements

    The plates in the spare tire well are not made of lead!

    There is no such thing as an M535is.

    Hey, check out these blacked-out taillights from German eBay!

    Why 5er Fest has not been held in your area

    Show me your wheels!

    Show me turbo pictures!

    Show me spoilers!

    ... and so on...
The Played-Out/Over-Discussed FAQ thread would consist of only one post, with single links to the "authoritative" thread of each played-out/over-discussed subject. That way, as the played-out/over-discussed subject becomes ignored, it can descend to the depths of the board without being a cluttering sticky, but it can be easily accessed.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

Now, how about I start a SINGLE thread on the subject of E28s in movies/TV shows/videos/advertisements with the first post edited in an ongoing manner to include each authenticated instance? In return, we could quash any new "Hey, I saw an E28 in 'Splash'..." type of post with a link to the authoritative thread?

What say Y'all?
WhgHouseCat
Posts: 62
Joined: Jul 06, 2006
Location: WHEELING, WV

Tell me what I should think about the tone of this message.

Post by WhgHouseCat »

From: Shawn D.
To: WhgHouseCat
Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:54 am
Subject: Re: about the rude post & Re: btw
WhgHouseCat wrote:
Do you have an actual post that discusses this ebay listing, or Mothman or the Coldplay video?

Do I have an actual post? Damn, just do a search. "Mothman" = 9 threads. "Coldplay" = 10 threads. What more is there to say? The posts are out there.

WhgHouseCat wrote:
Please reaffirm that you will not tolerate nasty stabs by fellow members who choose to post. It is inflammatory, disrespectful and you wouldn't like someone doing it to you. I don't appreciate it and it really gets on my nerves.

In order to preserve a neutral site, please condone the behavior--preferably as an amendment to your post. Reinforce your message.

Us Beamters get the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" treatment. We have decided to take the hands-off approach. Every time we intervene on someone's behalf, we're being "control freaks" and/or "Nazis" and/or it's "censorship." We will not get involve unless it's extremely bad -- i.e. "Super Eurobeat" or "Guan-O."

WhgHouseCat wrote:
By the way, what's wrong with adding a fresh post instead of amending old ones?

There's nothing wrong if it's a truly fresh post. We don't need to be told that there's an E28 in "Splash" or "Mothman" or the Coldplay video for the gazillionth time. Doing so isn't a fresh post.

WhgHouseCat wrote:
When I search the site, I don't use search...

Well, then you aren't searching the site.

WhgHouseCat wrote:
I have never even used the search feature before... I didn't even notice it was there!

Do you know it's there now?

-Shawn

Here is my response:

From: WhgHouseCat
To: Shawn D.
Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:41 am
Subject: Re: about the rude post & Re: btw
OMG WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON???!!!

This site should be welcoming to all, not just the groupies who are on here constantly. I and many other members DO NOT DO SEARCHES... we just look ONCE IN A BLUE MOON to see what is going on and POST ACCORDINGLY... we DON'T DIG THROUGH ANCIENT POSTS or search for anything in particular unless we have a REPAIR ISSUE. Not all members are alike... different people do things differently.

I understand that you have quite a job of moderating the site; however, when you side with these guys who are rude in the first place publicly in the forum, you unwittingly ALLOW THEM TO CONTINUE IT!

Please think about this in the future.

I don't feel like the site is friendly because EVERY TIME I POST I GET AN UNSOLITICITED ATTACK from someone, somewhere. Please do not contribute to this. You yourself say that you are tired of the negativity. So am I. Why should I have to defend myself even to you? I don't even know you... I just try to use the site! Next thing I know you are picking apart everything I have written...

OMG WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON???!!! The "legion's" or do you promote the welfare of the membership in general???!!! Don't egg the legion on... allow all members to express themselves without any suppressing remarks if they are not being negative.

Feel free to write back... I hope you really think about the big picture with regard to mye28.com and your past posts.

_________________
88 528e cirrusblau
86 528e black
85 528e gray and faded
91 300se mercedes--lt. gold

Perhaps we should start a new topic Shawn. Problem is, some member will say that that has been discussed many times before in the past. What HASN'T been discussed here in the past with regard to e28s??? And I sure as heck don't know what a "sticky" is... I haven't put the time into understanding all of the forum jargon; I don't want to. I consider your email to be an attack... you picked my words apart and criticized them. This is no different from what you criticized other members of doing in your past posts.
Last edited by WhgHouseCat on Aug 10, 2007 11:02 PM, edited 5 times in total.
mogie
Posts: 2575
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Norwalk, CT

Post by mogie »

So Shawn, you want a forum where its just ongoing duscussions where you can just keep adding to these threads? Sounds ok to me
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22377
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

mogie wrote:So Shawn, you want a forum where its just ongoing duscussions where you can just keep adding to these threads? Sounds ok to me
Sort of, but not a new forum. For example, we can have a single "authoritative" thread about E28s in media, and the first post in that thread will be repeatedly edited to include the confirmed examples folks post down in the rest of the thread. That authoritative thread would be included in the "Played-Out/Over-Discussed" FAQ thread. That way, someone can go to the FAQ thread on "Played-Out/Over-Discussed" subjects and see a simple list of links to authoritative threads. The FAQ thread would not necessarily change (unless we decided to add another subject), but the authoritative threads it linked to could be continually updated based on reasonable information.
keitaj
Posts: 293
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post by keitaj »

CT533i wrote:
dauer wrote:It's funny this topic emerged again as I just saw "Bruce Almighty" and towards the end of the movie there's a scene where an E28 535i (I believe) is broken down and holding up traffic. The driver was obviously not a member of MyE28.com as none of us would ever allow are highly prized vehicles to deteriorate to such a condition that would result in a roadside break down. :rofl:
It's a 528e. http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1910-BMW-5 ... -1985.html

A few other common US movies with a US E28: The Crying Game, The Survivors, Clean and Sober and Splash (of course).

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_27219-BMW-5-E28-1985.html
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_26365-BMW- ... -1985.html
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_27220-BMW- ... -1983.html

One of the best chase scenes with an E28 is Octopussy (Police cars) and The Peacemaker:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_10298-BMW- ... -1982.html
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1912-BMW-520-E28-1985.html

[/url]
Without checking first -- were those M5's in Octopussy??
CT533i
Posts: 535
Joined: May 30, 2007
Location: CT

Post by CT533i »

keitaj wrote:Without checking first -- were those M5's in Octopussy??
Didn't feel like checking the link? :? No definetly not M5s. The film was out in `83, so none existed. Furthermore, what police force drives M5s anyway? I know one is a 518, the others are probably 520s or 525s.
DRP535
Posts: 3636
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Dullsville, WA, Australia

Post by DRP535 »

Shawn D. wrote:There is no such thing as an M535is.
What would the collective term for a gathering of M535i be?
keitaj
Posts: 293
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post by keitaj »

CT533i wrote:
keitaj wrote:Without checking first -- were those M5's in Octopussy??
Didn't feel like checking the link? :? No definetly not M5s. The film was out in `83, so none existed. Furthermore, what police force drives M5s anyway? I know one is a 518, the others are probably 520s or 525s.
Fair enough.. first M didnt debut until 84, for the 85 model year.. Filiming would've been wrapping up around 82....

It was my understanding the M5 was designed to be a German state/diplomatic vehicle with the sport handling of a performance machine, and the passenger capacity of a police cruiser.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22377
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

keitaj wrote:It was my understanding the M5 was designed to be a German state/diplomatic vehicle with the sport handling of a performance machine, and the passenger capacity of a police cruiser.
That sounds like BS to me. Do you have any references for that? Note: "I heard..." or something like that doesn't count.
DRP535
Posts: 3636
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Dullsville, WA, Australia

Post by DRP535 »

I have "heard" that story too Shawn. I know that doesn't make it any more factual but I just thought I'd throw it in there anyway.

What I heard was that pre-M5 nomenclature, the genesis for the M5 development was a request by the German VIP security forces for a car with Porsche performance packaged up in a 4 door sedan that could be used for transporting dignitaries and state leaders around safely. Both BMW and Mercedes-Benz built cars for them to try out with BMW getting the nod in the end. Four or five cars were constructed on the criteria of being able to outrun a Porsche while still able to carry 5 passengers.

Apparently at this time, political kidnappings for hostage/ransom were not unheard of in Germany and there was a need for secure road transport that could either run away from or be locked down and survive an attack by gunmen in fast cars.

This is where the story came out that it was never intended by BMW for these cars to enter series production. They were only ever intended to be special service cars in use by the secret police. It's also where it came that the cars were completely unadorned with flashy extras or signals to their performance capability. They were to look like 518is because there was no need to advertise their performance. Only when the cars later became publicly known about and desired by dealers and BMW executives did BMW realise that a niche market might exist for such a car in limited series production. And the rest is well documented history.
Locked