10-Year Anniversary

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
CT533i
Posts: 535
Joined: May 30, 2007
Location: CT

10-Year Anniversary

Post by CT533i »

10 years is a long time...an entire decade. Tomorrow marks my 10-year anniversary with my 533i. It's been my one and only daily-driver. It's not garaged, and driven in all weather (snow, ice, rain, sun, hurricanes, hail). As the Dead would say "what a long strange trip it's been".

I bought it on August 4, 1997, from a family in Wilton, CT. They were asking $4,500. It only had 113,128 mi. The car was exceptional for it's age. It had every single service record going back to May 1984. It even had a complete tool-kit (owners didn't know it was there :laugh: ). It needed head-work (typical) and an exhaust. The wife was the 2nd owner. I bought it for $3,200 - which is a good thing because I've spent more than five times what I paid over a decade.

The 533i has never failed me! It's never left me stranded. It's blown the doors off more than a few performance cars. My best memories are driving from CT to NH early in the morning. Whether it was trying to make an 8:00 class, or going to Bav Auto's Show 'n Shine. My best memories were flying along at 110-131 with no one around -only the sound of classic tunes and that sweet big-six howling away.

What can I say, I'm proud of my baby :D . It won the CT Chapter Concours in 1999. It won Bav Auto's photo contest in 2004 (E28 category). It even made it into Roundel, Nov. 2006.

I wonder if there's anyone else who has used their E28 for 10 years, as their only mode of transportation in all weather (snow, ice, rain, sun, hurricanes, hail)?
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

I;ve had the Borman6 for 11yrs. DD all that time. not only as a commuter, but I worked out of it for several yrs too. Ive put 195 kmiles on top of the 150k it had at purchase. As with your 533i, it has never stranded me. I have let the body go, but Ive kept up on the mechanicals. Since 2k. i have done all the work needed to keep it running It is with great regret, that it will retired some time early in '08
C.J.
Posts: 3915
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Orange County, CA

Post by C.J. »

I've only had Ratty for 2 years, but in that time she and I have racked up over 66,000 miles. One of the highlights of going home in September will be spending time in that car again (right behind seeing friends and family of course ;) ). My friends all say that it's really hard for them to think of me driving a Mustang out here in Cali since I'm supposedly really connected to that old e28. Guess they're right. I never want to let go of that car, I've made some really great memories because of her and the best thing is that there are a ton more to be made still.
RonW
Posts: 5324
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by RonW »

15 years for the 535i. 389,000 miles, 250,000 under my watch. I bought it in 1992, back when you could still buy a 535i (e34 style) new from the dealer.

I knew virtually nothing about BMWs, other than that they were the choice of yuppie scum, a stigma I was willing to tolerate in pursuit of a good car. I didn't know or care about BMW model numbers or BMW history. I just wanted a 4-door sedan with a standard transmission and 4-wheel disc brakes. BMWs tended to match that description and other cars didn't, so I have a BMW today thanks mainly to the guiding force of probability.
BRRV
Posts: 3163
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Pensacola, Gulf of America

Post by BRRV »

The car I'm driving is the car I wanted the first time I saw it, when it was being driven by an associate in the business I was in. It was 3 years old at that time, and I said to him after a ride, when you are ready to sell it, let me know. He did, 3 years later, and it's been mine ever since. I still run into him from time to time - he's amazed that I still have it. And, save for hurricanes, this has been my daily driver since I bought it, in all weather conditions.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

RonW wrote:15 years for the 535i. 389,000 miles, 250,000 under my watch. I bought it in 1992, back when you could still buy a 535i (e34 style) new from the dealer.

I knew virtually nothing about BMWs, other than that they were the choice of yuppie scum, a stigma I was willing to tolerate in pursuit of a good car. I didn't know or care about BMW model numbers or BMW history. I just wanted a 4-door sedan with a standard transmission and 4-wheel disc brakes. BMWs tended to match that description and other cars didn't, so I have a BMW today thanks mainly to the guiding force of probability.
Yuppie scum, no longer own E 28s , they're into Bangle beans and whining about shit like I -drive. A tour of the new models down in Chattanooga reinforced my decision to keep my super etas running as long as possible. Not only do they look like Camrys, but over in the service bays was a newer model with the engine/ trans yanked out of it to R+R the head. Waay too complicated for this shade tree hack.
CT533i
Posts: 535
Joined: May 30, 2007
Location: CT

Post by CT533i »

Thanks guys for replying. For a while there (lack of replies) I figured I was the only one who drove their E28 for a decade as their only DD in all weather. Well I'm impressed! Congrats to you all too! :clap:

I told a few friends and family how long I owned it - most were amazed. "You've had that since you were 18!" said my uncle. "Oh my God!". Hmm, I wonder how many people buy a 13 year old car (excluding MB) and drive it for 10 years?

"a" and "BRRV", so you both drive yours in the snow too as DDs? How are the bodies?

One of the best things about owning an E28 is the occasional compliments. I love the look on people's faces when I tell them the year, mileage, my DD, not garaged and driven in snow. Their eyes bug-out, followed by the how is that possible questions. "It's a lot of work." An old acquaintance of mine (haven't seen in 10 years) was amazed at the shape of the car for the miles. "Man, looks like it has only 70 or 80K. Those inline-sixes will go forever."
Post Reply