Just got my car painted. It looks awesome. w/ pix

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
dcollin
Posts: 1017
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Napa, CA

Just got my car painted. It looks awesome. w/ pix

Post by dcollin »

Actually it was done a week ago. I've been working out of town for 2 weeks, finally got home-awesome!

The dings, dimples and scratches gone. Mirrors and door handles painted-looks good. They used the stock #'s and matched pretty good. Royal Blau.

I still need to put on the rear spoiler and a couple other misc. items, then I'll post some pix

I wanted to keep my pinstripe. He says the car needs to cure a couple of weeks, before the guy can do it. I did like the double pin stripe-especially on the hood. Now that I see it without-I don't know. It kind of looks good without it.

What do you guys think? PS or no ps?
Last edited by dcollin on Feb 18, 2007 6:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.
wickahead
Posts: 655
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Fairfax, CA

Post by wickahead »

Looks like "pre" pic (door handles and mirrors not painted)...

What color with the p/s?

--Mark
alpinewhite
Posts: 750
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Jamaica Estates/Miami Shores

Post by alpinewhite »

nod for no ps :down:

my old e28 was d.shwartz with m-tech colored pinstripes, it actually looked kinda of cool- but with a fresh repaint like yours
has, i think the car's overall aesthetics will look cleaner without it imop and you know what they say about opinions :laugh:
-danR,
Last edited by alpinewhite on Feb 17, 2007 10:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

I have a red pinstripe on my schwarz car. I think it looks neat. I don't know about a pinstripe on a blue car. FWIW, I removed it on my yellow Volvo (well, it was brown - wouldn't you?).
dcollin
Posts: 1017
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Napa, CA

Post by dcollin »

The ps's were white or light grey. Hard to tell.
alpinewhite
Posts: 750
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Jamaica Estates/Miami Shores

Post by alpinewhite »

dcollin wrote:The ps's were white or light grey. Hard to tell.
the pinstripes were the color of your interior, from what i've seen they usually correspond with cars interior.
-danR.
option00002
Posts: 2434
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Tepoztlan, Mexico

Post by option00002 »

This likely goes without saying...

but make sure it is a painted pin stripe and not a sticker...if you want it to look particularly tight.
;)
Brian in TN
Posts: 4615
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by Brian in TN »

NAY ON THE PINSTRIPE.
NO ON THE SAME.
NIX THE IDEA.
NEIN DER PINHEADSTRIPEN.

just my .02
C.J.
Posts: 3915
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Orange County, CA

Post by C.J. »

^^^Listen to the man!
Skeen
Posts: 2208
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Post by Skeen »

I'd leave the pinstripes off. That's what I did at least.

Also, if your paint guy wanted to wait a couple weeks before doing it, sounds like he's planning to use a decal. Just my guess. Usually you can paint a pinstripe on soon after the basecoat.
dcollin
Posts: 1017
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Napa, CA

Post by dcollin »

No, I definately vetoed the stick on type.

His pin stripe guy paints them on after the paint.
Skeen
Posts: 2208
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Post by Skeen »

dcollin wrote:No, I definately vetoed the stick on type.

His pin stripe guy paints them on after the paint.
He would have to do the pinstripe after the paint. Usually there isn't the need for a long delay. Regardless, I say go without it.
dcollin
Posts: 1017
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Napa, CA

Post by dcollin »

Here's some pix - or links. I'm having problems again posting pictures :x . I've tried several different ways.

Anyhow:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/ ... 1171840568

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/ ... 1171841567

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/ ... 1171841635

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i238/ ... 1171841691

As you can see now I definately have to get new lockstrips, emblems, badges, etc.

What do you guys think of the door handles and mirrors?
alpinewhite
Posts: 750
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Jamaica Estates/Miami Shores

Post by alpinewhite »

wow the car looks great, ditto on the lock strips, mr.Haygood should have them- i bought my last set from him.
as far as the mirrors and handles are concerned i dig the mirrors(a lot) but i'm not sold on the handles my .02 ;)
-danR.
mczarski
Posts: 427
Joined: Jan 24, 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

no on the pinstripe

Post by mczarski »

also you can always add it later[/img]
jgoodwill
Posts: 658
Joined: Aug 03, 2006
Location: Elkin, NC
Contact:

Post by jgoodwill »

Ixnay on the instripespay.
Mirrors-Yay
Handles-Nay, but okay
Post Reply