Ratcheting Wrench Feedback Requested (RESOLVED!!)
-
Bryan in SB
- Posts: 2002
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Ratcheting Wrench Feedback Requested (RESOLVED!!)
Hey all,
My lovely wife has tuned in to my 'subtle' hints as to my desire to have a set of ratcheting box end wrenches for Xmas. I thought she had missed the hint a few weeks back, but to my suprise, she asked me tonight about an Offset, set.
I've seen the offset box end set before, but don't have any experience with them. I had originally thought of getting a standard ratcheting box end set, but now that I've seen the offset set, I'm having trouble deciding with which to go with.
For those of you who have used both offset and standard ratcheting wrenches, can you offer up a pro and con? Likes, dislikes?
Here are the two sets in question.
Offset vs. Standard
Thx
My lovely wife has tuned in to my 'subtle' hints as to my desire to have a set of ratcheting box end wrenches for Xmas. I thought she had missed the hint a few weeks back, but to my suprise, she asked me tonight about an Offset, set.
I've seen the offset box end set before, but don't have any experience with them. I had originally thought of getting a standard ratcheting box end set, but now that I've seen the offset set, I'm having trouble deciding with which to go with.
For those of you who have used both offset and standard ratcheting wrenches, can you offer up a pro and con? Likes, dislikes?
Here are the two sets in question.
Offset vs. Standard
Thx
Last edited by Bryan in SB on Dec 27, 2006 7:41 PM, edited 2 times in total.
-
Kyle in NO
- Posts: 17638
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA
Not used the Craftsman ratcheting, but rather GearWrench.
I have the 7-pc Metric Flex Head set, item #9900 >> Metric Sets. The flexible head is quite handy but can be annoying depending on what you are trying to do! I wouldn't mind some of the locking, flex-head wrenches in the larger sizes for those occasions. For the way I use them, not having the flexible head would make them much less versatile.
Just some other suggestions!
I have the 7-pc Metric Flex Head set, item #9900 >> Metric Sets. The flexible head is quite handy but can be annoying depending on what you are trying to do! I wouldn't mind some of the locking, flex-head wrenches in the larger sizes for those occasions. For the way I use them, not having the flexible head would make them much less versatile.
Just some other suggestions!
The SK G-Pro ratcheting wrenches are on my wish list this year.
http://www.whatsyourconcept.com/itemDet ... itemID=537
http://www.whatsyourconcept.com/itemDet ... itemID=537
-
the artisan
- Posts: 378
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: South ATL
- Contact:
I have a set of Gear wrench (Gear makes the wrenches for snap on, blue point etc) 6 piece metric double box end. 8-19
They run $59 at nothern, and work well. My buddy bought the same set from Snap on for $125.00 I have tried the flexible head but I have found the head is larger and harder to fit into tight spaces. I was at sears this past weekend and they have them as well.
Kevin
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 060_149060
They run $59 at nothern, and work well. My buddy bought the same set from Snap on for $125.00 I have tried the flexible head but I have found the head is larger and harder to fit into tight spaces. I was at sears this past weekend and they have them as well.
Kevin
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 060_149060
-
Adam W in MN
- Posts: 5055
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Don't waste my motherf***in' time!
- Contact:
I have a set of the standard, polished ratcheting box-ends from Sears. The set where the box-end has the ratcheting feature and the other end is just a standard crescent. Excellent, top quality pieces. I use them ALL the time, you will definitely like them. If all Craftsman tools were this nice I'd probably buy more of them.
They are expensive though (for Craftsman) and the "set" skips several sizes that I wanted to have for my own analness. So I went back and bought the individual ones to complete the set, I think 10mm through 19mm. Priced individually though I think they were $20-$25 each, ouch.
On a side note, I got an early birthday present over the weekend. A Facom torque wrench, wow........ what a nice piece. I loooooove nice tools.
They are expensive though (for Craftsman) and the "set" skips several sizes that I wanted to have for my own analness. So I went back and bought the individual ones to complete the set, I think 10mm through 19mm. Priced individually though I think they were $20-$25 each, ouch.
On a side note, I got an early birthday present over the weekend. A Facom torque wrench, wow........ what a nice piece. I loooooove nice tools.
-
Tammer in Philly
- Posts: 10719
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: CHI, IL
Tell us more: model, drive, torque range, accuracy, and price, please. I am torque-wrench shopping myself, my old bargain-barrel Crapsman finally bit it after several years.Adam Wilson in Chicago wrote: an early birthday present over the weekend. A Facom torque wrench, wow........ what a nice piece. I loooooove nice tools.
On topic, I have the Blue Points (gift), and I love them. They're only recommended for use up to ~80 ft-lbs, but I have absolutely whaled on my 19mm ratcheting box end and it works beautifully; it seems they can withstant anything I throw at them. Some of the GearWrench branded ones have slimmer heads and can be used when there is less clearance around the fastener.
-tammer
That very feature came in handy when I was adjusting the valves on my Mercedes 300td last weekend. Apparently, many folks buy special "valve adjustment" tools and/or modify a wrench for this purpose, but the open end of the GearWrench was able to fit into the area of the jam nut, which is between the adjustment nut and the valve retainer -- a "normal" thickness wrench would not have fit.Tammer in Philly wrote:Some of the GearWrench branded ones have slimmer heads and can be used when there is less clearance around the fastener.
Tammer- I just bought an sk torque wrench from amazon. It was reccomended in tool of the month in European car by Mike Miller (who is also the Roundel tech talk guy). I love it. It has very fine teeth so it works great in confined areas. Torque is 20-150 andd it is the clicker type. If you put torque wrench into amazons search engine it displays the specs on most of the wrenches. Oh yeah, it costed $150.
-
athayer187
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: May 10, 2006
- Location: Cheshire, CT
My buddy has a set of offset - and I find that any time you go to use the offset ones, you're probably better off using a ratchet. I have the sears polished straight ones - and they're great for getting into tight spaces when you don't want to sit there and have to re-set a regular open end on the bolt a thousand times.
I got the flex-head GearWrench set at Sears, on sale, a while back. I've seen lots of similar sets on sale this holiday season at Sears, usually for $30 off. I don't use them all the time but I leave them in my traveling tool case since they are useful if not as easy to use as my normal Snap-On combinations in two set-lengths. When they come in handy, the flex head works great.
FWIW, S-K ratchets have always had finer teeth than any other and I've had my S-K 3/8ths for over 30 years and have never had to rebuild it. My Snap-On 1/4" has been rebuilt more times than I can remember and my Crapsman torque wrench ratchet had to be rebuilt after very little use and they insisted they had no listing for the ratchet mechanism. I pulled a 3/8ths handle off their rack and said, "I want the rebuild kit for this ratchet." They couldn't even find that handle (Craftsman) listed under current stock but did list the rebuilt kit. Cost? 1¢. I'm not kidding; one penny! I bought the ratchet, too, so I'd always have the reference for the torque-wrench's mechanism. Never use the ratchet 'cause it's way too clunky. I like my S-K.
FWIW, S-K ratchets have always had finer teeth than any other and I've had my S-K 3/8ths for over 30 years and have never had to rebuild it. My Snap-On 1/4" has been rebuilt more times than I can remember and my Crapsman torque wrench ratchet had to be rebuilt after very little use and they insisted they had no listing for the ratchet mechanism. I pulled a 3/8ths handle off their rack and said, "I want the rebuild kit for this ratchet." They couldn't even find that handle (Craftsman) listed under current stock but did list the rebuilt kit. Cost? 1¢. I'm not kidding; one penny! I bought the ratchet, too, so I'd always have the reference for the torque-wrench's mechanism. Never use the ratchet 'cause it's way too clunky. I like my S-K.
-
Adam W in MN
- Posts: 5055
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Don't waste my motherf***in' time!
- Contact:
This is the one I received.Tammer in Philly wrote:Tell us more: model, drive, torque range, accuracy, and price, please. I am torque-wrench shopping myself, my old bargain-barrel Crapsman finally bit it after several years.Adam Wilson in Chicago wrote: an early birthday present over the weekend. A Facom torque wrench, wow........ what a nice piece. I loooooove nice tools.
Ultimate Garage website listing for 3/8" drive tools
It's the one on special, 20nm-100nm, model #J312A. I kind of just threw it on my Christmas/Birthday list (my b-day is the 23rd so I usually get combined gifts) as a "this would be nice to have but no one will get it" item. I have a Craftsman 1/2" drive big bertha torque wrench I've been using for years that may or may not be accurate anymore. The one downside I saw in the five minutes when I lovingly examined this fine Facom torque wrench over the weekend is that the torque values are only given in nm, no lb/ft. Not a big deal I guess as most BMW values are given in both.
The giver in this case would also be the same generous person who gave me my huge toolbox a few years ago. I think it's the largest, non-professional line Craftsman chest with ball-bearing drawers. OOooooooo ball bearings.......
I'm a big fan of the Gearwrench. I have the regular combo, stubby, flex-head, reversible offset, and half-moon starter wrenches. Also a set of Craftsman laser etched sockets for use with them as a low-profile ratchet. Got a 22mm GR at Northern, and picked up a 1" Armstrong at a salvage place that sells hand tools for $5/lb.
I'm also fond of the GearRatchet sets by the same company, with through sockets and drivers, so no deep sockets needed.
Not sure what the trend toward 16mm and 18mm wrenches in sets instead of 17mm and 19mm is all about, unless its the prevalence of these sizes on Japanese iron.
I'm also fond of the GearRatchet sets by the same company, with through sockets and drivers, so no deep sockets needed.
Not sure what the trend toward 16mm and 18mm wrenches in sets instead of 17mm and 19mm is all about, unless its the prevalence of these sizes on Japanese iron.
-
alotawatts
- Posts: 836
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: WA
6 point
Anyone been able to find thin 6 point gear wrenches ?
Brand / source ?
Brand / source ?
Tomorrow and Thursday Only!!!
The 8-piece stubby non-offset (flip-over to reverse) GearWrench set in Shawn's post above is on sale 50%-off at Sears. $29.99 Wednesday and Thursday only. I like the longer ones myself, but this seems like a good deal.
-
Rich in Tupelo
- Posts: 2917
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Spring Hill, TN
The problem with the reversable, offset gearwrench brand is that you can onlyuse them on a fastener one way. The hex part of the tool does not go all the way through, it has a "shoulder" that only allows you to use it one way. Kind of hard to explain.
I'd get the craftsman brand. It really makes a big difference
I'm having difficulties with my picture hosting ability. I'll try to get some pics up of what I'm talking about later.
I'd get the craftsman brand. It really makes a big difference
I'm having difficulties with my picture hosting ability. I'll try to get some pics up of what I'm talking about later.
-
Bryan in SB
- Posts: 2002
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Guys, Santa was indeed good to me, and under the tree was this set.

I haven't been able to try it out yet, but it looks great! Thanks for all of your help, this turned out better than I expected!!!


I haven't been able to try it out yet, but it looks great! Thanks for all of your help, this turned out better than I expected!!!
Put me down as another happy SK torque wrench owner.Tammer in Philly wrote: I am torque-wrench shopping myself, my old bargain-barrel Crapsman finally bit it after several years.
I've bought 3 or 4 Craftsman click type torque wrenches since the late '80s, and only one of them still works reliably. As I'm sure you've found out, Sears doesn't warranty them as hand tools either, so you can't just take it back and swap it when it breaks. Avoid.
I bought a 3/8" drive SK 25-250 inch pound torque wrench a few years ago when I was working as a mechanic. Comparing the two is like... the Craftsman torque wrenches feel like they were assembled with parts from the plumbing section of Home Depot. The SK feels like a tool made for people who get a woodie when they handle a sodium filled exhaust valve.
This is the one I bought. I've had pretty good luck buying from these guys.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SK-74026.html
And while we're talking tools, check this place out. I just bought an OTC 6552 fuel injection pressure test kit and an OTC 6295 front end tools kit, along with a couple other little things from these guys. Their prices totally rock, and they'll cut you a break on shipping if you buy more than one thing at a time.
http://stores.ebay.com/USAtoolwarehouse
Patrick




