Page 1 of 1

Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 1:45 AM
by Z28
Gentlemen, I am looking for a desk for my 88 535i, anyone has a good dash for sale?

Thanks.

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 12:58 PM
by lbuwalda
I have a brand new dash in the plastic and in the box still. Its a blue mist color code.
text me at 605-929-6518

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 6:36 PM
by alpinass
Got one in some foreign material.
Image
Have leather rewrapped too
Image

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 7:08 AM
by nicks kicks
alpinass wrote:Got one in some foreign material.
Image
Have leather rewrapped too
Image
Hi is that a black leather dash .If it is what are you asking

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 1:37 AM
by Z28
Bump.....anyone with an original dash. I think the ones that Alpinass has are beautiful, but I am looking for the original.
Thanks.

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 1:54 AM
by ovide
lbuwalda wrote:I have a brand new dash in the plastic and in the box still. Its a blue mist color code.
text me at 605-929-6518
no such thing.... dashboards only available in black/green/brown
Leather is a different story but I doubt thats the case

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 5:56 PM
by Z28
Ovide, do you have a black dash available? I got the bumpers from you a couple of months ago.

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 4:53 PM
by ClassicEuroParts
Check some dashboards from my ebay listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/classiceuropart ... pg=&_from=
Can offer a 10% discount if we do the deals without ebay

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 5:13 PM
by Burnze
Top Gaiters on eBay has recently started selling leather dashboard covers. I have bought two of their shift boots and am happy with them. This could be a good alternative to replacing the dash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-LEATHER-D ... HO&vxp=mtr
Image

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 5:55 PM
by delvin
Interesting ^^ I wonder how it fits..

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 8:27 PM
by Burnze
kojo96 wrote:Doesn't say if they make a cover for the US cars, looks decent.
I emailed them yesterday and this is what they said:

Hi there
Yes we can, to order please buy the item above then please send us a message after you Pay that you want it for the Left hand drive and we will do it for you.
Regards


- topgaiters

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 9:30 PM
by Z28
Awesome guys. The leather dash cover is certainly a thing. Alpinass has a leather covered dash (real dash not a cover). I don't like covers because they have a hard plastic feel yo them, but if they are leather covered, they will look and feel exactly like the leather wrapped dash for much less. Also, ovide told me that he has one, but I can't get a hold of him.

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 11:35 PM
by Burnze
Z28 wrote:Awesome guys. The leather dash cover is certainly a thing. Alpinass has a leather covered dash (real dash not a cover). I don't like covers because they have a hard plastic feel yo them, but if they are leather covered, they will look and feel exactly like the leather wrapped dash for much less. Also, ovide told me that he has one, but I can't get a hold of him.
Wrapping a dash in leather seems like a safer investment than buying a "good" used dash that will eventually crack. The eBay one is a leather wrap. Not a plastic cover.

I've seen Alpinass's leather dash and it is really nice. Whoever does all his upholstery does very high quality work.

Also, Ivo sometimes directs me to [email protected] they respond inquiries fairly fast.

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 12:01 AM
by lbuwalda
Sorry guys mine is a dash cover as well!

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 12:26 AM
by Z28
Burnze, I believe the one we are talking about on eBay is a plastic cover that has been wrapped in leather. The one that alpinass has is an actual dash that has been wrapped in leather.

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 12:53 AM
by Burnze
Z28 wrote:Burnze, I believe the one we are talking about on eBay is a plastic cover that has been wrapped in leather. The one that alpinass has is an actual dash that has been wrapped in leather.
It is leather that you glue to your existing dash.

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 12:56 AM
by Z28
Burnze wrote:
Z28 wrote:Burnze, I believe the one we are talking about on eBay is a plastic cover that has been wrapped in leather. The one that alpinass has is an actual dash that has been wrapped in leather.
It is leather that you glue to your existing dash.
Are you sure? I thought it has a plastic bottom (base) and they wrapped that in leather, and you glue the whole thing on. Otherwise it will be very hard just to glue the leather piece to your dash. If that is the case, I don't know if I want yo do that. I will definitely butcher it!

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 1:10 AM
by Z28
Burnze, I guess you are right. I just checked in it again. It is just a leather cover you glue to your dash.

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 5:39 PM
by delvin
I'm fairly certain that is a piece of leather custom cut to fit an e28 dash. Basically it's an alpinass DIY kit of sorts. They send you the hide then it's on you to clean your dash, procure the glue, fit the leather and then bond the leather to the dash and cross your fingers. I'm really tempted to try it..

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 21, 2015 10:06 AM
by Randomg
FYI, your instrument cluster won't line up right with the added thickness of the leather, making minor rattles from time to time and changing the viewing angle of the dials so that it's hard to see the top of the circles if you're tall. Ask me how I know...

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 21, 2015 11:10 AM
by Burnze
Randomg wrote:FYI, your instrument cluster won't line up right with the added thickness of the leather, making minor rattles from time to time and changing the viewing angle of the dials so that it's hard to see the top of the circles if you're tall. Ask me how I know...
It would be awesome if you could post pictures of the installation if you purchased one of these. I'm interested in seeing the quality of the stitching.

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 21, 2015 12:47 PM
by 2 5's and a 7
I'm liking the idea of the Top Gaiter Boot......did you guys see their leather sun visor covers? sweet!

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 9:46 AM
by Randomg
Sure, I'll try to get a picture this weekend. I imagine with the nature of how they are made that a picture of one doesn't necessarily reflect another, see if you can buy one he already has wrapped so you see what he's actually sending.

Despite the instrument cluster issue, I like my purchase. I think it looks better than even a new vinyl dash, and with a vinyl dash, I'm always going to have to worry about it cracking again.

The holy grail is obviously a factory black leather dash from a European car, but I don't think I've ever seen one of those for sale.

Reading through the post, mine is an alpinass dash that he sent to me already covered, not one that I wrapped myself. Do you still want pictures?

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 10:41 AM
by Burnze
Randomg wrote:Reading through the post, mine is an alpinass dash that he sent to me already covered, not one that I wrapped myself. Do you still want pictures?
No need, but thanks. I thought you had purchased a cover from top-gaiters.

I guess I'll have to be the guinea pig...

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 11:12 AM
by alpinass
Just got a perfect factory vinyl dashboard - ZERO cracks or imperfections. This is the holy Grail.
NO disappoints....can take lots of pics. Please pm me for details.
Paul

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 12:22 PM
by Z28
Alpinass, just pm'ed you