Wtb E28 dash

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
Post Reply
Z28
Posts: 82
Joined: Jun 30, 2015
Location: Houston

Wtb E28 dash

Post by Z28 »

Gentlemen, I am looking for a desk for my 88 535i, anyone has a good dash for sale?

Thanks.
lbuwalda
Posts: 41
Joined: Sep 03, 2015
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by lbuwalda »

I have a brand new dash in the plastic and in the box still. Its a blue mist color code.
text me at 605-929-6518
alpinass
Posts: 2977
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA>

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by alpinass »

Got one in some foreign material.
Image
Have leather rewrapped too
Image
nicks kicks
Posts: 5
Joined: Nov 26, 2013

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by nicks kicks »

alpinass wrote:Got one in some foreign material.
Image
Have leather rewrapped too
Image
Hi is that a black leather dash .If it is what are you asking
Z28
Posts: 82
Joined: Jun 30, 2015
Location: Houston

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Z28 »

Bump.....anyone with an original dash. I think the ones that Alpinass has are beautiful, but I am looking for the original.
Thanks.
ovide
Posts: 1513
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Netherlands, Europe
Contact:

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by ovide »

lbuwalda wrote:I have a brand new dash in the plastic and in the box still. Its a blue mist color code.
text me at 605-929-6518
no such thing.... dashboards only available in black/green/brown
Leather is a different story but I doubt thats the case
Z28
Posts: 82
Joined: Jun 30, 2015
Location: Houston

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Z28 »

Ovide, do you have a black dash available? I got the bumpers from you a couple of months ago.
ClassicEuroParts
Posts: 318
Joined: Oct 05, 2013
Contact:

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by ClassicEuroParts »

Check some dashboards from my ebay listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/classiceuropart ... pg=&_from=
Can offer a 10% discount if we do the deals without ebay
Burnze
Posts: 502
Joined: Jul 17, 2014
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Burnze »

Top Gaiters on eBay has recently started selling leather dashboard covers. I have bought two of their shift boots and am happy with them. This could be a good alternative to replacing the dash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-LEATHER-D ... HO&vxp=mtr
Image
delvin
Posts: 263
Joined: Jan 05, 2013
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by delvin »

Interesting ^^ I wonder how it fits..
Burnze
Posts: 502
Joined: Jul 17, 2014
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Burnze »

kojo96 wrote:Doesn't say if they make a cover for the US cars, looks decent.
I emailed them yesterday and this is what they said:

Hi there
Yes we can, to order please buy the item above then please send us a message after you Pay that you want it for the Left hand drive and we will do it for you.
Regards


- topgaiters
Z28
Posts: 82
Joined: Jun 30, 2015
Location: Houston

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Z28 »

Awesome guys. The leather dash cover is certainly a thing. Alpinass has a leather covered dash (real dash not a cover). I don't like covers because they have a hard plastic feel yo them, but if they are leather covered, they will look and feel exactly like the leather wrapped dash for much less. Also, ovide told me that he has one, but I can't get a hold of him.
Burnze
Posts: 502
Joined: Jul 17, 2014
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Burnze »

Z28 wrote:Awesome guys. The leather dash cover is certainly a thing. Alpinass has a leather covered dash (real dash not a cover). I don't like covers because they have a hard plastic feel yo them, but if they are leather covered, they will look and feel exactly like the leather wrapped dash for much less. Also, ovide told me that he has one, but I can't get a hold of him.
Wrapping a dash in leather seems like a safer investment than buying a "good" used dash that will eventually crack. The eBay one is a leather wrap. Not a plastic cover.

I've seen Alpinass's leather dash and it is really nice. Whoever does all his upholstery does very high quality work.

Also, Ivo sometimes directs me to [email protected] they respond inquiries fairly fast.
lbuwalda
Posts: 41
Joined: Sep 03, 2015
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by lbuwalda »

Sorry guys mine is a dash cover as well!
Z28
Posts: 82
Joined: Jun 30, 2015
Location: Houston

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Z28 »

Burnze, I believe the one we are talking about on eBay is a plastic cover that has been wrapped in leather. The one that alpinass has is an actual dash that has been wrapped in leather.
Burnze
Posts: 502
Joined: Jul 17, 2014
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Burnze »

Z28 wrote:Burnze, I believe the one we are talking about on eBay is a plastic cover that has been wrapped in leather. The one that alpinass has is an actual dash that has been wrapped in leather.
It is leather that you glue to your existing dash.
Z28
Posts: 82
Joined: Jun 30, 2015
Location: Houston

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Z28 »

Burnze wrote:
Z28 wrote:Burnze, I believe the one we are talking about on eBay is a plastic cover that has been wrapped in leather. The one that alpinass has is an actual dash that has been wrapped in leather.
It is leather that you glue to your existing dash.
Are you sure? I thought it has a plastic bottom (base) and they wrapped that in leather, and you glue the whole thing on. Otherwise it will be very hard just to glue the leather piece to your dash. If that is the case, I don't know if I want yo do that. I will definitely butcher it!
Z28
Posts: 82
Joined: Jun 30, 2015
Location: Houston

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Z28 »

Burnze, I guess you are right. I just checked in it again. It is just a leather cover you glue to your dash.
delvin
Posts: 263
Joined: Jan 05, 2013
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by delvin »

I'm fairly certain that is a piece of leather custom cut to fit an e28 dash. Basically it's an alpinass DIY kit of sorts. They send you the hide then it's on you to clean your dash, procure the glue, fit the leather and then bond the leather to the dash and cross your fingers. I'm really tempted to try it..
Randomg
Posts: 512
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Location: Seattle

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Randomg »

FYI, your instrument cluster won't line up right with the added thickness of the leather, making minor rattles from time to time and changing the viewing angle of the dials so that it's hard to see the top of the circles if you're tall. Ask me how I know...
Burnze
Posts: 502
Joined: Jul 17, 2014
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Burnze »

Randomg wrote:FYI, your instrument cluster won't line up right with the added thickness of the leather, making minor rattles from time to time and changing the viewing angle of the dials so that it's hard to see the top of the circles if you're tall. Ask me how I know...
It would be awesome if you could post pictures of the installation if you purchased one of these. I'm interested in seeing the quality of the stitching.
2 5's and a 7
Posts: 653
Joined: Jul 08, 2014
Location: Fayetteville AR

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by 2 5's and a 7 »

I'm liking the idea of the Top Gaiter Boot......did you guys see their leather sun visor covers? sweet!
Randomg
Posts: 512
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Location: Seattle

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Randomg »

Sure, I'll try to get a picture this weekend. I imagine with the nature of how they are made that a picture of one doesn't necessarily reflect another, see if you can buy one he already has wrapped so you see what he's actually sending.

Despite the instrument cluster issue, I like my purchase. I think it looks better than even a new vinyl dash, and with a vinyl dash, I'm always going to have to worry about it cracking again.

The holy grail is obviously a factory black leather dash from a European car, but I don't think I've ever seen one of those for sale.

Reading through the post, mine is an alpinass dash that he sent to me already covered, not one that I wrapped myself. Do you still want pictures?
Burnze
Posts: 502
Joined: Jul 17, 2014
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Burnze »

Randomg wrote:Reading through the post, mine is an alpinass dash that he sent to me already covered, not one that I wrapped myself. Do you still want pictures?
No need, but thanks. I thought you had purchased a cover from top-gaiters.

I guess I'll have to be the guinea pig...
alpinass
Posts: 2977
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA>

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by alpinass »

Just got a perfect factory vinyl dashboard - ZERO cracks or imperfections. This is the holy Grail.
NO disappoints....can take lots of pics. Please pm me for details.
Paul
Z28
Posts: 82
Joined: Jun 30, 2015
Location: Houston

Re: Wtb E28 dash

Post by Z28 »

Alpinass, just pm'ed you
Post Reply