Crankshaft Position Sensor location??
-
BreakinMyWallet
- Posts: 85
- Joined: Mar 01, 2012
Crankshaft Position Sensor location??
Where exactly can I find the CPS on my 87 535? Can I see it from the top of my bay?[/list]
-
mooseheadm5
- Posts: 23035
- Joined: Apr 08, 2009
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Contact:
-
BreakinMyWallet
- Posts: 85
- Joined: Mar 01, 2012
-
mooseheadm5
- Posts: 23035
- Joined: Apr 08, 2009
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Contact:
-
mooseheadm5
- Posts: 23035
- Joined: Apr 08, 2009
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Contact:
-
BreakinMyWallet
- Posts: 85
- Joined: Mar 01, 2012
Check them with a VOM using the Bentley's procedure. If one or both don't meet the spec, replace. You can always do a search. Our older engines don't actually use a crankshaft position sensor or CPS. It uses two, one to count teeth on the flywheel (speed sensor) and the other to know when it's TDC by checking a pin in the flywheel. If both are bad it is a good excuse to upgrade to Motronic 1.3 which does use a CPS. Search for more info on both.
They are $57 from Autohauz. Maybe cheaper elsewhere.BreakinMyWallet wrote:So I need to also buy the speed sensor and the crankshaft position sensor. Each 80$?
https://www.autohausaz.com/search/produ ... 0261210002
I'm not sure why you need to replace either, so it's impossible to say if you need to replace both.
FWIW: Because there are two products on that page, I will confirm that I just replaced both of mine with the $57 part.
-
BreakinMyWallet
- Posts: 85
- Joined: Mar 01, 2012
-
mooseheadm5
- Posts: 23035
- Joined: Apr 08, 2009
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Contact:
-
Mark 88/M5 Houston
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Far North Houston
Thanks!Mark 88/M5 Houston wrote:Originally it was used for diagnostic checks with a proprietary BMW test machine that plugged into the diagnostic connector in the engine bay.Ju@n wrote:Interesting!
May i ask what is the position sensor on the front of the engine, on the passengers side of the car?
It's good to know what it is for!!

