7" euro low beam lens
7" euro low beam lens
I'm looking for a new 7" right side (left hand drive) lens for the euro buckets.
Apparently NLA at the dealer, according to a search here. I have a source for the Hella lens that I think will fit:
HL79201 - Right - 1A6 125 792-011
This is the Hella P/N which, according to the Hella aftermarket parts catalog, cross-references to the BMW P/N for the euro lens 63-12-1-369-851 & 852.
I have an existing lens with the correct three mounting bosses on the back, but it doesn't carry any matching part numbers or distinct identification.
Is this the correct lens?
Lastly, what, exactly, are the differences between the left and right side lens? I have two such lenses on my car now and they look identical to me. For all I know, I have the wrong lens on one side. Is the fluting on the inner surface of the glass different, left to right, or is there some other design difference between the two that makes correct-side installation unmistakable? Thanks! -Rick
Apparently NLA at the dealer, according to a search here. I have a source for the Hella lens that I think will fit:
HL79201 - Right - 1A6 125 792-011
This is the Hella P/N which, according to the Hella aftermarket parts catalog, cross-references to the BMW P/N for the euro lens 63-12-1-369-851 & 852.
I have an existing lens with the correct three mounting bosses on the back, but it doesn't carry any matching part numbers or distinct identification.
Is this the correct lens?
Lastly, what, exactly, are the differences between the left and right side lens? I have two such lenses on my car now and they look identical to me. For all I know, I have the wrong lens on one side. Is the fluting on the inner surface of the glass different, left to right, or is there some other design difference between the two that makes correct-side installation unmistakable? Thanks! -Rick
-
grahamular
- Posts: 1717
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Re: 7" euro low beam lens
Schmiedmann has them.BRRV wrote:I'm looking for a new 7" right side (left hand drive) lens for the euro buckets.
Apparently NLA at the dealer, according to a search here. I have a source for the Hella lens that I think will fit:
HL79201 - Right - 1A6 125 792-011
This is the Hella P/N which, according to the Hella aftermarket parts catalog, cross-references to the BMW P/N for the euro lens 63-12-1-369-851 & 852.
http://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-e28/1 ... 3121369851
http://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-e28/1 ... 3121369852
-Graham
BMW has recently eased restrictions on importing non DOT lenses. They are able to be ordered from the dealer again. A set was ordered recently and all lamps are still available(not NLA).
The difference between L and R sides are not the lenses themselves, but the backing. The Euro bases are L and R sided which takes L and R lamps, while the US bases use a universal mount (L & R lamps are interchangeable).
The difference between L and R sides are not the lenses themselves, but the backing. The Euro bases are L and R sided which takes L and R lamps, while the US bases use a universal mount (L & R lamps are interchangeable).
-
Jelmer538i
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
-
grahamular
- Posts: 1717
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Baltimore, Maryland
-
grahamular
- Posts: 1717
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Baltimore, Maryland
The "in stock" status on their website does not alway reflect reality, but the few things I've ordered (headlights included) were shipped out as soon as they got them back in inventory. Importation wasn't a problem, but I did have to fill out a simple Customs form for the headlights.BRRV wrote:I've never bought anything from them. How's importation into the U.S.? Anybody have any experiences? Any hassles?
-Graham
-
louielouie
- Posts: 480
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Bothell, Wa
I've called them before about that and was told that they don't really have them. I'm gonna need the whole light since the reflective material has peeled off.BRRV wrote:Excellent. I'll update this: I'm awaiting a reply email from Susquehanna Motorsports - I'm pretty certain that they still stock the original Hella lens for the euro bucket, and it's more reasonable then the dealer. I'll let you know more when they get back to me.
You can't buy the lens separately from the reflective backing. Don't confuse "bucket" with the back half of the lamp itself. He meant the black metal framing that is bolted to the body.louielouie wrote:I'm gonna need the whole light since the reflective material has peeled off.
You can actually heat the epoxy that holds the glass to the backing and replace it with the glass from a Bosch or similar size EU market lamp. It's a mess but it's possible. That was the option when BMW black-balled non DOT glass last year. It's still an option if you are cash poor and want to revive a lamp that has a cracked lens.
Thanks, I understood that the lens is attached to the BMW-specific "bowl". Been running these for years (bought 'em from Duke when he was in Germany!) and the silvering is going away in one. I've fixed at least one with a lens removal and transfer to a new back half, the bowl - but I think I want a new one as the aluminum tape I used in the retrofit last year was a temporary fix. I just couldn't remember why they called for two different part numbers. Haven't heard anything from Susquehanna yet....
It's cool, I wasn't correcting you, I was helping louielouie since it sounds like there was some confusion about it. I'd like to see your lens replacement outcome though. What glass did you use for the replacement?
Last edited by BuzzBomb on Nov 06, 2013 1:05 PM, edited 1 time in total.
I separated the glass lens from the bowl and then re-glued it after cleaning the interior and applying shiny aluminum tape to the lower portion of the bowl, which gets water damage (especially if you aren't using the rubber gaiter in the back). It didn't take much to separate the lens from the bowl, it fell off in my hand as I was handling the assembly.BuzzBomb wrote:What glass did you use for the replacement?
-
C.R. Krieger
- Posts: 14507
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
- Contact:
Daniel Stern was able to get a set of new-in-the-box Hellas for me a few years ago. He's very well-connected.
-
louielouie
- Posts: 480
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Bothell, Wa
I actually think you could get that from a dealer or from Maximillian aka MT. Do you have a part number on that? What is it about that covering plate that makes it U.S. wiring compatible? Do you mean that you can plug in the U.S. connector and use that cover plate without re-wiring the connector? That would be great; what about the city light?
-
louielouie
- Posts: 480
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Bothell, Wa
The cap is $38 and change, and the gasket is about $13. I seem to recall a way to do this and be able to seal the back of the headlight, and it would be less expensive than this. I have the original rubber covers, I just never used them.
Sometimes I think it would be a lot easier and cheaper to just use a new set of Hella H4/H1 euro headlights in my original buckets and just be done with it! It was what I used before I bought the euros. Sure they look good, but functionality? Not so much.
Sometimes I think it would be a lot easier and cheaper to just use a new set of Hella H4/H1 euro headlights in my original buckets and just be done with it! It was what I used before I bought the euros. Sure they look good, but functionality? Not so much.
-
louielouie
- Posts: 480
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Bothell, Wa
report on the NEOLITE lens
Got the new Neolite "reproduction" E28 Hella-style 7" outer lens today. I'll add pics if and only if you need them, but pics of one are already on mye28.com, so no point in wasting server space.
Neolite is an Indian (as in India) company: http://www.neolitezkw.com/ that is in a joint venture with a company in Austria, which is probably why they are making lenses and lighting like this. Besides lighting they make plastic and sheet metal components for the auto industry.
Out of the box, the base (which holds the bulb in it's holder) is 90-95% the same as the Hella assembly. Some minor machining isn't quite the same and the assembly that holds the bulb in place isn't as smooth in operation or as well finished (the swivel crimp on the opposite side, for instance) Looks robust enough, though. The base on both bulbs is attached via an adhesive; on the Hella unit it appears to be assembled, power-coated, and then baked, so the adhesive bead is solid; on the Neolite, the basket is chromed on the outside as well as the inside and the adhesive that holds the base to the basket is soft; looks to be a silicone of some kind. The copper ground strap on the Neolite isn't as nice as on the Hella, a small thing; other than that, the back, save for the name on each, is identical, including casting marks. Both have a place for the city light.
The reflector on the inside of both lenses is chromed or silvered and appears to be virtually the same. The bulb reflector (the three legged domed half moon seen inside the back of the base opening for the bulb) is galvanised and more finished in the Hella unit; the Neolite looks to be a simpler stamping and is zinc treated (bluish in color) rather than galvanized.
The lens itself is interesting - the Neolite lacks some of the markings on the original Hella, but the fluting is dead-on accurate, the biggest difference being the Neolite name and logo at the bottom center of the lens. One thing I did notice is that the lens' outer edge (the part that attaches to the bowl) doesn't extend all the way to the edge of the bowl as the Hella unit does; the gap is filled with the same white silicone that attaches the base to the bowl. If I remember correctly, this shouldn't be visible with the assembly ring in place, but it does make me wonder how this will stand up to the elements (in fairness, the Hella units don't last forever; I had a glass lens fall out in my hand when the adhesive finally let go). Finally, the outer edge of the bowl, where it meets the lens, seems to stand a little higher than the Hella does.
For the price, this appears to be a great buy. I bought just one, but I may buy the other side, since my OE replacement for the other side is used and shows a bit of chipping. Now to figure out the problems of having both filaments light when in high-beam and getting them sealed properly so they don't collect water!
Neolite is an Indian (as in India) company: http://www.neolitezkw.com/ that is in a joint venture with a company in Austria, which is probably why they are making lenses and lighting like this. Besides lighting they make plastic and sheet metal components for the auto industry.
Out of the box, the base (which holds the bulb in it's holder) is 90-95% the same as the Hella assembly. Some minor machining isn't quite the same and the assembly that holds the bulb in place isn't as smooth in operation or as well finished (the swivel crimp on the opposite side, for instance) Looks robust enough, though. The base on both bulbs is attached via an adhesive; on the Hella unit it appears to be assembled, power-coated, and then baked, so the adhesive bead is solid; on the Neolite, the basket is chromed on the outside as well as the inside and the adhesive that holds the base to the basket is soft; looks to be a silicone of some kind. The copper ground strap on the Neolite isn't as nice as on the Hella, a small thing; other than that, the back, save for the name on each, is identical, including casting marks. Both have a place for the city light.
The reflector on the inside of both lenses is chromed or silvered and appears to be virtually the same. The bulb reflector (the three legged domed half moon seen inside the back of the base opening for the bulb) is galvanised and more finished in the Hella unit; the Neolite looks to be a simpler stamping and is zinc treated (bluish in color) rather than galvanized.
The lens itself is interesting - the Neolite lacks some of the markings on the original Hella, but the fluting is dead-on accurate, the biggest difference being the Neolite name and logo at the bottom center of the lens. One thing I did notice is that the lens' outer edge (the part that attaches to the bowl) doesn't extend all the way to the edge of the bowl as the Hella unit does; the gap is filled with the same white silicone that attaches the base to the bowl. If I remember correctly, this shouldn't be visible with the assembly ring in place, but it does make me wonder how this will stand up to the elements (in fairness, the Hella units don't last forever; I had a glass lens fall out in my hand when the adhesive finally let go). Finally, the outer edge of the bowl, where it meets the lens, seems to stand a little higher than the Hella does.
For the price, this appears to be a great buy. I bought just one, but I may buy the other side, since my OE replacement for the other side is used and shows a bit of chipping. Now to figure out the problems of having both filaments light when in high-beam and getting them sealed properly so they don't collect water!
-
John in VA
- Posts: 5367
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Leesburg, VA
Re: report on the NEOLITE lens
ZKW headlights & fogs appeared on E36s, and maybe earlier models.BRRV wrote:Neolite is an Indian (as in India) company: http://www.neolitezkw.com/ that is in a joint venture with a company in Austria, which is probably why they are making lenses and lighting like this.
Re: report on the NEOLITE lens
Yea, I thought I had recognized the name.John in VA wrote:ZKW headlights & fogs appeared on E36s, and maybe earlier models.

