hub centric rings for old Borbet wheels

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Mab1957
Posts: 2262
Joined: May 14, 2010
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

hub centric rings for old Borbet wheels

Post by Mab1957 »

I've got these old Borbet wheels. I believe they should have four hubcentric rings, so I need to i.d. the wheel then find some rings. What are they?
Image
Image
Image

Two of these remain.
Image

I only plan to use these to get the car in and out of shops so won't be driving it too far or for very long. But the last time I drove it up from NC with these wheels it shook like it was about to come apart.

Can you identify these Borbet wheels? Can you suggest where to find hub centric rings to fit?
Blue Shadow
Posts: 10534
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SE PA

Post by Blue Shadow »

Old Borbet wheels have the correct hub for the E28. The wheels that came out after the E39 had the larger hub bore requiring the rings.

Early wheels had numbers that were appended with a /0 to indicate the larger bore. This was true for the type C.


You have type E wheels. Looks like they were made in 95 so I have no idea if they need the rings or not. But if you have rings in two of them, you need the rings if the ring fits your cars wheel hub.

You don't need to know the wheel to get the rings. All the rings for the E39 fitment to E28 adapter are the same size. The drop the 74.1 to the 72.whatever.
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Oct 29, 2013 1:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Slow_Ballin'
Posts: 1425
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Sacramento

Post by Slow_Ballin' »

74.1 was very common, or take it to a shop or better yet just measure it?
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

These are Borbet Type E wheels. That's all I know.
RetiredDoc
Posts: 1319
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Aiken SC

Post by RetiredDoc »

I have these wheels on my car. They use 74.1 to 72.6 hub rings. There are several sets on ebay right now with a wide range in price. Here's the least expensive. They are what I bought, and work just fine. You can go with more expensive polycarbonate or metal rings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/74-1-to-72-6-HU ... c0&vxp=mtr

Word of advice. They are very thin. Be careful when you install them that you don't inadvertently let one slip off at an angle. When you torque down the lug bolts it will crack.
Mike W.
Posts: 27986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

If you tighten the lugs slowly and gradually you can for the most part eliminate the need for the rings. Especially if you're only going to be using them for a short time. You can also wrap aluminum tape around the hub.
jc72
Posts: 712
Joined: Aug 16, 2010
Location: Oakland, CA

Post by jc72 »

I bought some metal ones that have lasted a lot longer than the plastic ones I've had in the past from these guys http://www.sonictuning.com/74-1mm-72-56 ... -html.html
garageboy
Posts: 2488
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New York City
Contact:

Post by garageboy »

Yeah, jc72 beat me to it. What he suggested is perfect.

I have Moda M1 wheels (in the pic). Oddly, some of them require the hubcentric rings and some don't. It's completely obvious when they do -- the rings can fit flush into the wheel, but I place them on the hub first, of course.

And metal (aluminum), not plastic. Tire Rack once sold me that plastic crap that breaks immediately. Never go plastic.
tn535i
Posts: 5590
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee

Post by tn535i »

And if/when a metal ring is stuck on the hub you just heat it a bit with a propane torch and it falls off.
Post Reply