What is this button next to the stereo? Electric antenna

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Federico
Posts: 641
Joined: Sep 16, 2013
Location: Argentina / California

What is this button next to the stereo? Electric antenna

Post by Federico »

Hi everyone ;)
My name is Federico, from Argentina, and I am looking forward to purchasing my first BMW: a very nice 1982 euro 528i.
This car is a bit far from my home ( 800 miles), so it might take me a couple of months to arrange a PPI.

In the meantime, I hope you guys can help me clear this out: What is function of the switch mounted to the right of the stereo, in the photo below?
Image

The only other info I have is that the car has PS, A/C, Sunroof (don't know if electric or manual).
Some more pics:
Image
Image

You can see it has manual windows, so its not a basic nor a loaded model.
Thanks for your help!
Last edited by Federico on Sep 19, 2013 8:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

That's a power window switch, but likely installed to serve another function. A popular use is to use for a power antenna or for an electric rear sunshade.
demetk
Posts: 8433
Joined: Aug 09, 2007
Location: CT, USA

Post by demetk »

Maybe some sort of add-on device?

I used a window switch once to control my power antenna. LOL, wkohler knew I was going to say that.
Blue Shadow
Posts: 10534
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SE PA

Post by Blue Shadow »

On my car, it is a non-lighted window switch that controls the power door locks. I installed this and any switch like that was installed aftermarket.

For the antenna switch, I use half of the two-button fog light switch and use the other function to turn on the fan for the amps. It is mounted in place of the fader on the left side of the radio.

The car you are looking at has the power mirror on the drivers side and probably the passenger's side, too. It also has fog lights and side repeaters. These were all selectable options for a European car. I don't know what options were standard for cars in your country. In the US they came very nearly fully loaded with limited options.
Federico
Posts: 641
Joined: Sep 16, 2013
Location: Argentina / California

Post by Federico »

Thank you very much for your replies.
I believe this car was bought new by a swedish diplomat; he probably bought it in europe and shipped it over here (that would explain the custom spec).
As for the switch, I guess from your suggestions that it is for the antenna.
Just one doubt: Were automatic antennae fitted by the factory?
Blue Shadow
Posts: 10534
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SE PA

Post by Blue Shadow »

It appears the car has the electric antenna, the silver bump at the bad end of the car.

This is a switched antenna but the stock radio/cassette player that we got in the US, turned on the antenna power anytime the unit was on so even with tapes playing the antenna would be up.

Just because we used a switch to control the antenna (power to the third wire causes it to go up, no power to that wire causes it to go down) doesn't mean everyone did that.

That being a window switch, I don't think it is for the antenna as those are momentary switches, powered only when pushed and the electric antenna needs power on the third wire to remain extended.

But if an aftermarket antenna was fitted...then maybe the window switch is the way to operate it.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

My E12 has an aftermarket Bosch antenna and it has a momentary switch you use to raise and lower the antenna. My E28 528i was ordered without a radio, and I've driven another Euro E28 ordered without a radio as well.
demetk
Posts: 8433
Joined: Aug 09, 2007
Location: CT, USA

Post by demetk »

Blue Shadow wrote:That being a window switch, I don't think it is for the antenna as those are momentary switches, powered only when pushed and the electric antenna needs power on the third wire to remain extended.
One window switch and one miniature DPDT relay and you can control the antenna. I know you can do that with a simple rocker switch but this was cooler.
waynet1
Posts: 2524
Joined: Jan 10, 2011
Location: Port Charlotte,FL-Newport,RI

Post by waynet1 »

I hate to ask the obvious question, but here goes..........
Have you pushed the buttons to see what might happen ? :confused:
Blue Shadow
Posts: 10534
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SE PA

Post by Blue Shadow »

waynet1 wrote:I hate to ask the obvious question, but here goes..........
Have you pushed the buttons to see what might happen ? :confused:
No his arms are not 800 miles long.
demetk
Posts: 8433
Joined: Aug 09, 2007
Location: CT, USA

Post by demetk »

:laugh:
waynet1
Posts: 2524
Joined: Jan 10, 2011
Location: Port Charlotte,FL-Newport,RI

Post by waynet1 »

:oops:
ACHTUNG
Posts: 543
Joined: Jun 11, 2010
Location: New Hampshire

Post by ACHTUNG »

Opal Grun Metallic?
Federico
Posts: 641
Joined: Sep 16, 2013
Location: Argentina / California

Post by Federico »

Well, I went to see the car and left a down payment :D
I still don't have a clue about the button :oops: ; nothing happened when I pressed it and the seller didn't know about its function.
Still, its a great car: smooth engine, firm shifter, good clutch and brakes, cool AC, etc.
I will post a proper topic once I've picked 'er up!
Blue Shadow
Posts: 10534
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SE PA

Post by Blue Shadow »

Federico wrote: I still don't have a clue about the button; nothing happened when I pressed it and the seller didn't know about its function.
Congrats on your car purchase.

I believe the sunroof needs to be open for the button to actually work the ejection seat. These cars are not a sophisticated James Bond's 007 where the sunroof panel is ejected, too. Sort of a safety lock out.
demetk
Posts: 8433
Joined: Aug 09, 2007
Location: CT, USA

Post by demetk »

Blue Shadow wrote:
Federico wrote: I still don't have a clue about the button; nothing happened when I pressed it and the seller didn't know about its function.
Congrats on your car purchase.

I believe the sunroof needs to be open for the button to actually work the ejection seat. These cars are not a sophisticated James Bond's 007 where the sunroof panel is ejected, too. Sort of a safety lock out.


:laugh:
Post Reply