changing coolant hoses on 528e

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
chuckr
Posts: 180
Joined: Jul 16, 2013
Location: NY
Contact:

changing coolant hoses on 528e

Post by chuckr »

hi, had a hose failure on sat (was at home!), so I will replace all hoses on my '82 528e - I'll also instal the missing heater valve. how do i get to the rearmost hose? do I have to remove the intake? It's difficult to even see where it comes out.
thanks, Chuck
waynet1
Posts: 2524
Joined: Jan 10, 2011
Location: Port Charlotte,FL-Newport,RI

Re: changing coolant hoses on 528e

Post by waynet1 »

chuckr wrote:hi, had a hose failure on sat (was at home!), so I will replace all hoses on my '82 528e - I'll also instal the missing heater valve. how do i get to the rearmost hose? do I have to remove the intake? It's difficult to even see where it comes out.
thanks, Chuck
No need to take off the intake manifold to replace that hose.

Just lots of swearing involved. :laugh:
chuckr
Posts: 180
Joined: Jul 16, 2013
Location: NY
Contact:

Post by chuckr »

thanks, i'll have to brush up on my curse words...
chuck
passwor3
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 13, 2007
Location: Western Slope, CO

Re: changing coolant hoses on 528e

Post by passwor3 »

waynet1 wrote:
chuckr wrote:hi, had a hose failure on sat (was at home!), so I will replace all hoses on my '82 528e - I'll also instal the missing heater valve. how do i get to the rearmost hose? do I have to remove the intake? It's difficult to even see where it comes out.
thanks, Chuck
No need to take off the intake manifold to replace that hose.

Just lots of swearing involved. :laugh:
I SWEAR I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN.
:laugh:
tn535i
Posts: 5590
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee

Post by tn535i »

Do yourself a favor and also replace the gasket and cover on the throttle body heater while you have all the hoses out. They leak all the time as the corrosion gets to them. Easiest to just remove the T/B and while it's out clean, inspect solder joints inside and adjust the TPS too.
Post Reply