radio specs

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
NINA85
Posts: 171
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Groton, CT

radio specs

Post by NINA85 »

Hello,

I have the OEM alpine CM5800 in my 83 533i. I tried searching on this forum and via google to no avail. I am looking for information on the radio like specifications, what kind of wattage it can handle, etc. I would like to know what the stock radio can handle in regards to speaker upgrades. I like the OEM look of the radio and it works perfectly so I see no need to upgrade. I have a blaupunkt nevada RDM 168 radio from my now passed 535i but I'd rather not use it if I can avoid it. Can anybody point me to a service manual or some mysterious link that google won't show me or if you have some secret knowledge just lay it on me. Please and thank you.
John in VA
Posts: 5367
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Leesburg, VA

Post by John in VA »

'85 325e unit (88 88 1 600 105 or 106)
Power amp
output R = 4 ohms, Vcc=13.8V
10% THD 15W/Ch
1% THD 13W/Ch

'86 535i unit (88 88 1 600 152)
same as above
NINA85
Posts: 171
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Groton, CT

Post by NINA85 »

'85 325e unit (88 88 1 600 105 or 106)
Power amp
output R = 4 ohms, Vcc=13.8V
10% THD 15W/Ch
1% THD 13W/Ch

'86 535i unit (88 88 1 600 152)
same as above
When you say, "same as above" you're referring to the 85 535i I mentioned that has the blaupunkt radio. I'm looking for the specs on the radio from the 83 533i. Did the 535i and 533i share the same radio? Thanks for the response so far though.
freetoride
Posts: 1044
Joined: Oct 31, 2011
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas

Post by freetoride »

I think you would actually want the specs on the amplifier, which is mentioned above.
John in VA
Posts: 5367
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Leesburg, VA

Post by John in VA »

NINA85 wrote:I'm looking for the specs on the radio from the 83 533i. Did the 535i and 533i share the same radio? Thanks for the response so far though.
I don't know - what's the 533 unit look like? Similar to the E30 one?
Image

E28 unit 1985-88 (at least):
Image
NINA85
Posts: 171
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Groton, CT

Post by NINA85 »

The stereo that I have in my 533i is the first one pictured. I don't believe I have an amp in my car. Unless I have some how over looked it. Isn't it normally located under a seat or in the trunk? I have not seen anything in those locations. If any info can be provided on the first picture radio that would be lovely. I don't understand how google wouldn't have anything to say about it. No archives, no nothing.
John in VA
Posts: 5367
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Leesburg, VA

Post by John in VA »

Your 533 has the same unit we had in the E30 325e - the first one pictured, and the first one mentioned it the specs I provided in my initial post.
There is no amp associated with it as were in the later 535i (amp was in the upper left corner of the trunk).
Not much to say about them as they were weak-a** stock units.
NINA85
Posts: 171
Joined: Jun 20, 2011
Location: Groton, CT

Post by NINA85 »

Ok perfect. Thanks for the responses and the information. I appreciate everyones input.
Post Reply