Crank trigger sensor gap

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Sleeper21
Posts: 538
Joined: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Winter Park, Fl

Crank trigger sensor gap

Post by Sleeper21 »

When I installed my crank trigger sensor during my Motronic 1.3 change over, the crank trigger hit the harmonic balancer. I didn't see anyway to adjust the bracket. I ended up using a small washer/shim between the bracket and sensor. What's the correct gap between the sensor and harmonic balancer? :help:
RangerGress
Posts: 678
Joined: Jan 20, 2012
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: Crank trigger sensor gap

Post by RangerGress »

Sleeper21 wrote:When I installed my crank trigger sensor during my Motronic 1.3 change over, the crank trigger hit the harmonic balancer. I didn't see anyway to adjust the bracket. I ended up using a small washer/shim between the bracket and sensor. What's the correct gap between the sensor and harmonic balancer? :help:
IIRC, about 1mm. Just get it nice and close, but not quite touching. It's tolerant of a little error. Too close won't affect operation. At some point too far away would effect it tho.
tn535i
Posts: 5590
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee

Post by tn535i »

I've seen sensors supplied with a little piece of paper on the end that scrapes off as soon as you start it again. The paper scrap will do no harm inside the bell housing and may even be made to disintegrate inside the engine. You install sensor with the paper until it bottoms then tighten in place. That little paper thing was about .040" or 1mm. I did measure it out of curiosity and I'd agree with Ranger that is a good target gap.
Sleeper21
Posts: 538
Joined: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Winter Park, Fl

Post by Sleeper21 »

thanks for reply guys..I'm at 1 mm now
Post Reply