Bentley on PDF?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
thespeedfactory
Posts: 561
Joined: Mar 01, 2012
Location: Eden, Utah

Bentley on PDF?

Post by thespeedfactory »

I realize many of us have laptops or desktops in the garage, so is there a source for the entire Bentley on PDF?

If not available, would anyone be interested in this?
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

It is available, but not for general distribution.
I have considered giving out the link with a security key being a word from a specific page/paragraph in the book. If you don't have the paper copy you don't get a free PDF.
thespeedfactory
Posts: 561
Joined: Mar 01, 2012
Location: Eden, Utah

Post by thespeedfactory »

I have e28 both hardback (for leisurely reading) and softback for greasy garage work.

Also have e36, e32, e39 x 2, and e30.

PDF seems it would be more useful for the garage work.
Frybrid 524td
Posts: 2689
Joined: May 27, 2009
Location: ...

Post by Frybrid 524td »

^ That would be great.
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

I prefer the book. I don't have any electronic devices that I want to get greasy.
pleasefixitup
Posts: 1856
Joined: Nov 21, 2011
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois

Post by pleasefixitup »

tsmall07 wrote:I prefer the book. I don't have any electronic devices that I want to get greasy.
My book is a little greased up but nothing is illegible.

Ebay for 25 dollars.

A PDF would be nice if you travel a lot and don't want to haul this giant book around.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

I usually just read the section and do it from memory. Often times, I don't even use the book. I have a .pdf on my phone, along with the E34 one, though.
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Post by davintosh »

I bought the book then had the binding cut off & had it spiral bound. That made it pretty easy to pull the spiral off and run the pages through a document scanner & get a PDF from it. I also ran OCR on the file and made it searchable, which is really nice for finding references to certain parts. Still need to set up TOC & index links though...

I rarely take the computer out to the garage though; I keep the book out there. I usually read through everything I can get my hands on about a given repair procedure multiple times before actually getting dirty; that's where the pdf version comes in really handy.
ElGuappo wrote:It is available, but not for general distribution.
I have considered giving out the link with a security key being a word from a specific page/paragraph in the book. If you don't have the paper copy you don't get a free PDF.
I've let others download a copy of my pdf before after they've done something to prove they have a hard copy of the book, but I like the secret word verification; excellent idea, Jay. :up:
Mike W.
Posts: 27986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

I never used the E28 Bentley as I didn't acquire one until I was 6 or 7 years into ownership, but what I'll do with the E39, which I have both a hard copy of and the PDF, is look at it and print out a page or two I might need and take that out to the garage. Of course as crappy as the E39 manual is that's not often.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

I have 2 Bentley's. One for inside and it's nice and clean. The other is about toast, and is half fallen apart. Literally. I have many different ETM's printed out and sorted into binders as well so I can use them out at the car.

I thought about getting a Panasonic Toughbook though for car work. The US Navy uses them for I-ETM's for the aircraft and they are wonderful!!!
gidgaf
Posts: 391
Joined: Feb 22, 2011
Location: LAX, Kalifornia

PErusing Bently

Post by gidgaf »

I'd like a pdf for my 86 528e, if possible. I've got the paperback version. I don't really want to buy multiple copies.
I'm also the kind of guy who can't clean without getting dirty, and I like the idea of printing a few pages and enlarged photos to take outside with me. Instead of the book.

You'd need a separate password for each submission.
Otherwise it's be really easy to cheat. And if cheating did happen, you'd know who did it. ;+}
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Post by davintosh »

shagrath wrote:I have 2 Bentley's. One for inside and it's nice and clean. The other is about toast, and is half fallen apart. Literally. I have many different ETM's printed out and sorted into binders as well so I can use them out at the car.

I thought about getting a Panasonic Toughbook though for car work. The US Navy uses them for I-ETM's for the aircraft and they are wonderful!!!
For your outside Bentley, take it to Kinko's and have them spiral-bind it; they'll cut the binding off, drill the holes and insert the spiral for about $5. Makes it much easier to use.

Hit me up for the pdf version when you get the Toughbook. Or before. :cool:
Post Reply