Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
JasB
Posts: 8 Joined: Mar 17, 2012
Location: Redding, Northern California
Post
by JasB » Mar 20, 2012 10:30 PM
Any thoughts as to best tire pressures to run on the 533i for a DD?
Thanks,
Jim
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035 Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:
Post
by mooseheadm5 » Mar 20, 2012 10:35 PM
You need to specify what size wheels and tires, what type of tread, etc.
JasB
Posts: 8 Joined: Mar 17, 2012
Location: Redding, Northern California
Post
by JasB » Mar 20, 2012 11:26 PM
Minor detail! The tires on the 533 are 205/70/14 Kumho Solus KR 21 M&S.
Thanks,
Jim
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035 Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:
Post
by mooseheadm5 » Mar 20, 2012 11:28 PM
I'd go around 34-36 and see how it feels.
JasB
Posts: 8 Joined: Mar 17, 2012
Location: Redding, Northern California
Post
by JasB » Mar 20, 2012 11:36 PM
Thanks for the info...I was running 25 all around and that seems to be a little bumpy in the ride, but I'm thinking it's probably the the tires.
Thanks
Jim
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035 Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:
Post
by mooseheadm5 » Mar 21, 2012 12:02 AM
25 is darn near flat. There is a recommendation on the driver's door jamb for an average tire.
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA
Post
by Kyle in NO » Mar 21, 2012 12:05 AM
What would possess someone to run 25 psi in a road tire?
JasB
Posts: 8 Joined: Mar 17, 2012
Location: Redding, Northern California
Post
by JasB » Mar 21, 2012 12:07 AM
Sorry - I meant 35. I guess I'm losing it (assuming I ever had it).
Jim
wkohler
Posts: 50939 Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:
Post
by wkohler » Mar 21, 2012 12:23 AM
BMW specified 33psi per axle for up to four persons and 36psi for "heavier loading." They recommend keeping the spare tire at 40psi.
Best,
wkohler
1st 5er
Posts: 21966 Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:
Post
by 1st 5er » Mar 21, 2012 12:48 AM
No you didn't...
What's the tire say?
JasB
Posts: 8 Joined: Mar 17, 2012
Location: Redding, Northern California
Post
by JasB » Mar 21, 2012 12:54 AM
Pressures noted on tire usually are the max load ratings.
mechacode
Posts: 692 Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Wi
Post
by mechacode » Mar 21, 2012 1:26 AM
I usually stick to 36, 38 if I'm going to drive a long distance to eek out a little better mpg.
wkohler
Posts: 50939 Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:
Post
by wkohler » Mar 21, 2012 1:38 AM
mechacode wrote: I usually stick to 36, 38 if I'm going to drive a long distance to eek out a little better mpg.
And wear out the center of your tires. That works well.
mechacode
Posts: 692 Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Wi
Post
by mechacode » Mar 21, 2012 2:25 AM
wkohler wrote: mechacode wrote: I usually stick to 36, 38 if I'm going to drive a long distance to eek out a little better mpg.
And wear out the center of your tires. That works well.
Jeremy
Beamter
Posts: 15846 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut
Post
by Jeremy » Mar 21, 2012 8:24 AM
wkohler wrote: mechacode wrote: I usually stick to 36, 38 if I'm going to drive a long distance to eek out a little better mpg.
And wear out the center of your tires. That works well.
Smooth tires create less friction and thus return better fuel economy, right?
Smooth tire, smoooooth ride, baby.
oldskool
Posts: 12001 Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:
Post
by oldskool » Mar 21, 2012 9:59 AM
I like my tires the same way I like my women. . .
Nanajoth
Posts: 1554 Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: TX
Post
by Nanajoth » Mar 21, 2012 10:03 AM
oldskool wrote: I like my tires the same way I like my women. . .
Flat and bald?
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035 Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:
Post
by mooseheadm5 » Mar 21, 2012 10:08 AM
Inflatable?
Filled with a bicycle pump?
Kenny Blankenship
Posts: 4942 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: NNV
Post
by Kenny Blankenship » Mar 21, 2012 12:33 PM
Worn on the inside...
Though you can get slightly better gas mileage with 35+ lbs of air, I find it causes wear in the center of the tire, especially at the rear (assuming your camber is at stock settings). This has been true of all my old E12s, E23s and E28s. The 32 to 34 lb range seems to work best.
David Hunt
Posts: 551 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Bloomington, IN
Post
by David Hunt » Mar 21, 2012 1:35 PM
oldskool wrote: I like my tires the same way I like my women. . .
Mounted AND balanced?
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:
Post
by C.R. Krieger » Mar 21, 2012 2:44 PM
Kyle in NO wrote: What would possess someone to run 25 psi in a road tire?
Yokohama A-008. That's what.
oldskool
Posts: 12001 Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:
Post
by oldskool » Mar 21, 2012 6:08 PM
Nanajoth wrote: oldskool wrote: I like my tires the same way I like my women. . .
Flat and bald?
Oh Yous guys . .
I like 'em black and shaved!
a
Posts: 12473 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA
Post
by a » Mar 21, 2012 6:18 PM
I run about 32-35 depending on my mood. 32 is a good soft ride and decent in rain. 35 is good for mpg. I run stock 195 70 14 3 season tires. 99 % of the driving is round town.
Jeremy
Beamter
Posts: 15846 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut
Post
by Jeremy » Mar 21, 2012 9:27 PM
C.R. Krieger wrote: Kyle in NO wrote: What would possess someone to run 25 psi in a road tire?
Yokohama A-008. That's what.
You run 165/70R10 (not a typo) Mini Cooper tires on an e28?
alijonny
Posts: 5612 Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Post
by alijonny » Mar 21, 2012 11:16 PM
oldskool wrote: I like my tires the same way I like my women. . .
Rated to take at least 1000lbs of your load?
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:
Post
by C.R. Krieger » Mar 22, 2012 12:24 AM
Jeremy wrote: C.R. Krieger wrote: Kyle in NO wrote: What would possess someone to run 25 psi in a road tire?
Yokohama A-008. That's what.
You run 165/70R10 (not a typo) Mini Cooper tires on an e28?
Yokohama made them in a variety of sizes. Mine were 205-55/14, IIRC - and not on a BMW.
Jeremy
Beamter
Posts: 15846 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut
Post
by Jeremy » Mar 22, 2012 12:33 AM
C.R. Krieger wrote: Yokohama made them in a variety of sizes. Mine were 205-55/14, IIRC - and not on a BMW.
I believe you're thinking of the Yoko A008r. The Yoko A-008 is a very specific tire for a very specific fitment. It only comes in one size.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:
Post
by C.R. Krieger » Mar 22, 2012 11:52 AM
Jeremy wrote: C.R. Krieger wrote: Yokohama made them in a variety of sizes. Mine were 205-55/14, IIRC - and not on a BMW.
I believe you're thinking of the Yoko A008r. The Yoko A-008 is a very specific tire for a very specific fitment. It only comes in one size.
I'm pretty sure it didn't in 1987.
mechacode
Posts: 692 Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Wi
Post
by mechacode » Mar 23, 2012 5:40 PM
wkohler wrote: mechacode wrote: I usually stick to 36, 38 if I'm going to drive a long distance to eek out a little better mpg.
And wear out the center of your tires. That works well.
Unless of course you have blizzaks on that are rated at 44psi.