Who had Heathkit items in their house?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Who had Heathkit items in their house?

Post by Duke »

I know my dad put together a Heathkit microwave oven and we had a big console TV.

Image

Image
alijonny
Posts: 5612
Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by alijonny »

I remember seeing that kind of stuff at garage sales. lol.
RonW
Posts: 5324
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by RonW »

We made an amplifier. A friend of ours made a color TV. This was back in the mid-'70s.
Bill in MN
Posts: 1718
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: The Boonies, Mn
Contact:

Post by Bill in MN »

We had all kinds of Heathkit stuff.
Mark in Toronto
Posts: 2442
Joined: Feb 14, 2008
Location: Toronto

Post by Mark in Toronto »

Not available in Canada.

Did Radio Shack sell them before they became a joke?
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

I built a shortwave radio and roamed the world every evening with it for a couple of years.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

Mark 88/M5 Houston wrote:I built a shortwave radio and roamed the world every evening with it for a couple of years.
Yah, my brother built one, it worked well. The Lafayette catalog was an inch thick of thin paper.
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

Mark in Toronto wrote:Not available in Canada.
Wrong.......

Image
Bill in MN
Posts: 1718
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: The Boonies, Mn
Contact:

Post by Bill in MN »

Just when you think the world has gone to hell...

http://www.heathkit.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=233
Mark in Toronto
Posts: 2442
Joined: Feb 14, 2008
Location: Toronto

Post by Mark in Toronto »

Duke wrote:
Mark in Toronto wrote:Not available in Canada.
Wrong.......

Image
HA! Mail order in both the U.S. and Canada.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

We had one growing up. We might still have it.
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

I had a Heathkit 25" color TV for many years. It was a hybrid set (i.e. half transistor and half vacuum tube circuitry.) A neat feature was it had a built in dot generator, so I could do alignments without the need for bench instruments.

It weighed a ton, though. :)
DanOKC
Posts: 297
Joined: Jun 15, 2006

Post by DanOKC »

I did, my first scope was a Heathkit I bought about 1976 or 77. I was 13 & we didn't have a Heathkit store in OKC. There was one back then on Ross Lane in Dallas. My family went to go to Padre' Island for vacation back then a couple times, so I got my wish.
Sometime soon after, I got one of the Heathkit trainer things too, had breadboard with 5 volt supply & variable power supplys & basic sine, squarewave generator built in.
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

My Dad thought it appropriate to burn me with his cigars.
:?
rmiddendorf
Posts: 5568
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by rmiddendorf »

oldskool is just entertaining.

My dad still has an amp he made- I think in the 60s but perhaps the 70s. It had a green tuning bar that took up most of the front, 4 knobs and a row of buttons across the bottom. Cool for the time.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22376
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

Mark in Toronto wrote:Did Radio Shack sell them before they became a joke?
No, Heathkit was its own entity and had their own stores.
desmofan
Posts: 802
Joined: May 01, 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA

Post by desmofan »

Mark 88/M5 Houston wrote:I built a shortwave radio and roamed the world every evening with it for a couple of years.
I had one of these too as a kid, and loved it. I also built and used a metal detector.

Heathkit was great stuff to learn circuitry, soldering techniques, etc. It's a shame that most kids today have no interest in this sort of "training".
clangpap
Posts: 926
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Calgary Canada
Contact:

Post by clangpap »

Duke wrote:
Mark in Toronto wrote:Not available in Canada.
Wrong.......

Image
I built a stereo amplifier in my early teens, worked well for a kid just learning to solder. Had enough power to get my parents to yell "turn it down!!!". Dad said the bass gave him a foot massage as he watched TV upstairs. :D

Thanks for reminding me of these, maybe I should be less of a chicken about the car's electronics.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

I came across one of the amplifiers a few years back. Pretty neat, but it wasn't for me at the time.
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

I didn't have any mind-expanding stuff as a kid.
As soon as I could work, I had to work. My meager checks or cash from my paper route or lawn cutting helped pay household bills. It was that way until I graduated from high school and put myself through college.
I always wanted to build a Heathkit radio...never did.

Oh well
Post Reply