Eagle Scouts
Eagle Scouts
So going to a friends egale ceremony and this thread (http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?p=993814#993814) got me thinking. How many people here are eagle scouts? There was also a very interesting power point with some Eagle Scout statistics.
http://scoutingaround.com/boy-scouts/43 ... stics.html
Another question how many people where in or are in the Order of the Arrow?
http://scoutingaround.com/boy-scouts/43 ... stics.html
Another question how many people where in or are in the Order of the Arrow?
I do. It still has council and chapter patches that no longer apply since they don't exist due to merger, along with the National Jamboree patch for the one I went to. Those aren't coming off. Ever. I'll buy a new shirt instead, which I'd probably have to do if I wanted to wear it since I doubt the old one actually fits.shagrath wrote:Here's a question: who here still has their uniform?
I still attend Eagle courts of honor for those that I knew in some way. Now I go in plainclothes and the awardees are people who were born when I was active as a Scout instead of people who were new in the troop when I earned the award. The whole thing now just makes me feel old. The "kids" I was in Scouting with now have children of their own that are going into Cub Scouts.
Cub Scouts to Webelos to Boy Scouts (Troop 77, Watchung Area Council (now part of Patriot's Path evidently), OA Miquin Lodge #68 (now part of Woapalanne Lodge #43).
Filed my Eagle paperwork a few weeks before my 18th birthday, so I made it in under the wire so to speak. The actual ceremony wasn't until about a month later so I was officially an Eagle Scout for about a few weeks before the end of the official session (timed with the school calendar).
Recently my 2nd cousin received his Eagle last year just before his 18th birthday and I went to the ceremony. His dad, my cousin was the Scoutmaster and also an Eagle Scout himself. When the time came and all other Eagle Scouts in the room were asked to stand and participate in the Oath, I proudly stood up. I was also a little shocked to see I was the only other adult in the room full of about a 125 to be an Eagle Scout.
All the senior scout members were initiated into the OA even if we didn't necessarily want it (our Scoutmaster was sort of dictator that way). We weren't very active in the Lodge mainly due to geography and politics (the Lodge was mostly run by the Council leadership which were over in the next county. They tended to run the Lodge like their own fiefdom. It only got worse after they merged into another Lodge).
I do remember my Ordeal though; I went through it with about 3 others from my troop one of which was my 58 year old Assistant Scoutmaster. It was hard to compete since he literally grew up with the BSA. It was pretty embarrassing when I couldn't start my fire in the morning with the one match they gave us and he used flint and steel only. He had a nicely cooked egg that morning and the arrow he carved was a real work of art.
I never made it to Philmont but about 3 of my troopmates went and 2 of them went down to the Florida Sea Base. And one of them went back the following year to serve as crew member on the boat for a summer. Life, work, money and distance always got in the way of me going to those.
When my parents moved, they sent me a box with all my BSA stuff in it including the uniforms, the Badge and OA Sashes, hats, neckerchiefs, and the patch collection I got when I traded for them at the 1981 Jamboree.
Filed my Eagle paperwork a few weeks before my 18th birthday, so I made it in under the wire so to speak. The actual ceremony wasn't until about a month later so I was officially an Eagle Scout for about a few weeks before the end of the official session (timed with the school calendar).
Recently my 2nd cousin received his Eagle last year just before his 18th birthday and I went to the ceremony. His dad, my cousin was the Scoutmaster and also an Eagle Scout himself. When the time came and all other Eagle Scouts in the room were asked to stand and participate in the Oath, I proudly stood up. I was also a little shocked to see I was the only other adult in the room full of about a 125 to be an Eagle Scout.
All the senior scout members were initiated into the OA even if we didn't necessarily want it (our Scoutmaster was sort of dictator that way). We weren't very active in the Lodge mainly due to geography and politics (the Lodge was mostly run by the Council leadership which were over in the next county. They tended to run the Lodge like their own fiefdom. It only got worse after they merged into another Lodge).
I do remember my Ordeal though; I went through it with about 3 others from my troop one of which was my 58 year old Assistant Scoutmaster. It was hard to compete since he literally grew up with the BSA. It was pretty embarrassing when I couldn't start my fire in the morning with the one match they gave us and he used flint and steel only. He had a nicely cooked egg that morning and the arrow he carved was a real work of art.
I never made it to Philmont but about 3 of my troopmates went and 2 of them went down to the Florida Sea Base. And one of them went back the following year to serve as crew member on the boat for a summer. Life, work, money and distance always got in the way of me going to those.
When my parents moved, they sent me a box with all my BSA stuff in it including the uniforms, the Badge and OA Sashes, hats, neckerchiefs, and the patch collection I got when I traded for them at the 1981 Jamboree.
Last edited by vinceg101 on Mar 12, 2012 2:45 PM, edited 2 times in total.
I still have my uniform and my Grandpas uniform and I wear both. I also went to Boundary Waters and Philmont. I also attended a couple of NOACs. I'm a Vigil Honor member of Dzie -Hauk Tonga Lodge 429.
Philmont is one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. I have always thrown around the idea of being on Philmont staff.
Philmont is one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. I have always thrown around the idea of being on Philmont staff.
Arrow of Light in Webelos, Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts (Bronze palm, 1985), OA Brotherhood member.
I knew that as soon as I had my driver's license I was going to have trouble staying focused on the Eagle path. I also knew that I was going to want/need my Eagle in order to have the best shot at the college/career I had chosen to follow. I raced through all requirements and became an Eagle just about as early as one could, when I was still 15. I remained active with my Troop afterwards. Though I did not get involved in any of the later Varsity scouting items, I did get to play the role of "Three-Fingered-Willy" on many later camping trips.
My oldest has just crossed over after finishing the Arrow of Light and Webelos, and I'm getting involved with the leadership of his Troop. My daughter (9) is involved with a very active GS Troop, and the little guy (6) just went Bobcat with Cub Scouts.
edit - I do not still have my uniform
I knew that as soon as I had my driver's license I was going to have trouble staying focused on the Eagle path. I also knew that I was going to want/need my Eagle in order to have the best shot at the college/career I had chosen to follow. I raced through all requirements and became an Eagle just about as early as one could, when I was still 15. I remained active with my Troop afterwards. Though I did not get involved in any of the later Varsity scouting items, I did get to play the role of "Three-Fingered-Willy" on many later camping trips.
My oldest has just crossed over after finishing the Arrow of Light and Webelos, and I'm getting involved with the leadership of his Troop. My daughter (9) is involved with a very active GS Troop, and the little guy (6) just went Bobcat with Cub Scouts.
edit - I do not still have my uniform
-
Mark 88/M5 Houston
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Far North Houston
I'm an Eagle Scout. My scouting career was great fun for me. I was fortunate to get to Philmont once, Maine Matagamon once and attended some Jamborees while my father was stationed in Belgium. I was Brotherhood OA.
I also enjoyed being a scout leader. None of my three "got their wings" but I think they enjoyed the program when they were young. They did loads more high adventure than I was able to.
It isn't for everyone, but I have no regrets, wonderful experiences and many fond memories.
I also enjoyed being a scout leader. None of my three "got their wings" but I think they enjoyed the program when they were young. They did loads more high adventure than I was able to.
It isn't for everyone, but I have no regrets, wonderful experiences and many fond memories.
-
Chimi-Changa
- Posts: 1782
- Joined: Nov 08, 2011
- Location: Westborough, MA


