My E12 rebuild/semi-resto

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
JamusMcFamus
Posts: 739
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: North Augusta, SC

My E12 rebuild/semi-resto

Post by JamusMcFamus »

Some of you may remember that I bought an E12 (refer to link at the bottom) a few months back. Turns out, it had a cracked head. After a while of searching, and eventually finding one (hat tip to Mike W!), it's finally time to get the show on the road.

I had the car transferred down to my dad's facility in Camarillo, just north of Los Angeles. The initial plan was for us to do the work together, but work has kept me from making the trip. So, he and one of his employees are tackling it, along with giving it a fresh paint job.

I have a few pictures that he took with his crappy phone; unfortunately, it's all we'll have until it's done.

Just by looking at the cylinders, can anyone tell if it needs anything? I realize it's not much to go off of.

Here's my original post from when I purchased the car:
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=94 ... highlight=

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

We'll be looking forward to the finished product.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

Those sixes were known for cracking heads. There was a coolant passage issue (I don't recall details, but it was inherent to every one of the M30s of that era) that could be somewhat amelioriated with some judicious machine work. You might want to look up that issue of ROUNDEL if anyone remembers which one it was. There were also those dreadful thermal reactors that lurked beside the head adding to its cooling problems. I think you can find a way to remove/replace it, even if it means using a catalytic converter. The good news is, I don't think this stuff ever affected the bottom ends much, so you should be good slapping another head onto it. :up:
Frybrid 524td
Posts: 2689
Joined: May 27, 2009
Location: ...

Post by Frybrid 524td »

C.R. Krieger wrote:There was a coolant passage issue (I don't recall details, but it was inherent to every one of the M30s of that era) that could be somewhat amelioriated with some judicious machine work.
First Fives -> Technical FAQ -> Cylinder Head (Mike W.)

Slotted coolant passages.
JamusMcFamus
Posts: 739
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: North Augusta, SC

Post by JamusMcFamus »

The head that's replacing the cracked one is from an M30B34, which should have ameliorated all of those issues. As for the thermal reactors, I believe they were phased out by the time mine was built. Thanks for the input.
skip535i
Posts: 5186
Joined: Oct 26, 2006
Location: Lynchburg, VA

Post by skip535i »

Cool color! I like the "facility," too! Fancy stables.
Kenny Blankenship
Posts: 4942
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: NNV

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

C.R. Krieger wrote:There were also those dreadful thermal reactors that lurked beside the head adding to its cooling problems. I think you can find a way to remove/replace it, even if it means using a catalytic converter. The good news is, I don't think this stuff ever affected the bottom ends much, so you should be good slapping another head onto it. :up:
No thermal reactors on a '79, they started using cats by then...
Post Reply