A Man Called Hawk/Spenser For Hire E24 appearances.

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
///MARINE
Posts: 418
Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Location: Maryland

A Man Called Hawk/Spenser For Hire E24 appearances.

Post by ///MARINE »

I have always remembered that the character "Hawk" from the 80s TV "Spenser For Hire" drove a white BMW 635CSi (and later a black 635CSi) on that show. What I never knew, was that in the 1988 Spin-off show entitled "A Man Called Hawk", Hawk drove a black E24 (I believe it was an M6). I didn't remember that at all. Spenser For Hire was one of my favorite shows back then, and Spenser and Hawk were both awesome characters. Perhaps this somehow helped kick start my love for E24s.

White E24 at 1:46:

Black E24 at 3:32:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO8fl6dZuqI
Last edited by ///MARINE on Feb 27, 2012 11:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

Yes! I loved "Hawk". I even had the wrap around sunglasses like him. (where's that "ghay" emoticon?)
His black 635csi and a neighbor's touring 2002 tii are what began my BMW fascination when I was a wee lad.
///MARINE
Posts: 418
Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Location: Maryland

Post by ///MARINE »

oldskool wrote:Yes! I loved "Hawk". I even had the wrap around sunglasses like him. (where's that "ghay" emoticon?)
His black 635csi and a neighbor's touring 2002 tii are what began my BMW fascination when I was a wee lad.

I don't blame you. Hawk was beyond cool. There is no one with his style and presence on TV today. The fact that he wore sharp, tailored suits most of the time (as opposed to some weird, 80s specific clothing that would look strange now) and drove a 6 series showed that the character had class, style and taste. The boxing skills and .357 Magnum ensured that he was never taken lightly. If they ever release this show on DVD, I'd definitely buy it.
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

A box set and I'm there. Might even watch it while wearing my wrap-around sunglasses. Stranger things have happened.
I wish others would chime in and exclaim their adoration for Hawk as now I'm starting to feel kinda naked and exposed.
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

Don't remember watching it, but it was cool to see the sharks.

OoRah!
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

Hawk and Spencer were both very cool dudes. A favorite show when I was a kid.
WilNJ
Posts: 4193
Joined: Aug 12, 2009
Location: North Jersey

Post by WilNJ »

oldskool wrote:A box set and I'm there. Might even watch it while wearing my wrap-around sunglasses. Stranger things have happened.
I wish others would chime in and exclaim their adoration for Hawk as now I'm starting to feel kinda naked and exposed.
You might be on your own here, but don't be ashamed let your freak flag fly. (Thumbring and nail polish, optional)
Hawk54
Posts: 8
Joined: Nov 10, 2011
Location: Southwest Michigan

Post by Hawk54 »

I also remember watching Spencer for hire, it was one of my favorite tv shows. I the inspiration for my love of BMW's.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

The books were waaaay betterer than the series, which wasnt too shabby
///MARINE
Posts: 418
Joined: Mar 31, 2009
Location: Maryland

Post by ///MARINE »

a wrote:The books were waaaay betterer than the series, which wasnt too shabby
I have heard that the books were awesome. Perhaps now, with cable television the series would be even closer to the book. I've read that some of the author's other work was made into TV series and the script was practically word for word. I'm definitely going to start reading the books.
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

a wrote:The books were waaaay betterer than the series, which wasnt too shabby
Were the books illustrated?
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

I got into Spenser in the 70s.. Being set in Boston, I knew some of the areas being described. Parker had 2 other series. Even better, he finished an unfinished novel begun by Raymond Chandler Poodle Springs Parker wrote around 70 novels. He developed a formulaic process and just cranked 'em out. Chandler only published 7 novels, but they were all classic hard boiled private eye stuff.
5280 JB
Posts: 736
Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Location: 5280' altitude: Denver, CO

Post by 5280 JB »

Was it in Spenser for Hire that he parked his car in his living room? Or was that "Dantana?" I think it was a classic T-Bird he drove in that show.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

Wasnt Spenser. He drove a 65 Mustang.
pldlnr
Posts: 2221
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by pldlnr »

a wrote:Wasnt Spenser. He drove a 65 Mustang.
Until it was shot up and replaced with a Fox Body GT. One of my favorite all time shows.
ahab
Posts: 6224
Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Location: Chalfont, PA

Post by ahab »

5280 JB wrote:Was it in Spenser for Hire that he parked his car in his living room? Or was that "Dantana?" I think it was a classic T-Bird he drove in that show.
That was Dan Tanna in Vega$. I always thought parking in your living room was pretty awesome. Wasn't too fond of the Bird however.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

Yah, I was in a house with a completely restored Indian in the lining room.
clongo
Posts: 1050
Joined: Nov 21, 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

Post by clongo »

I had a customer at a BMW independent shop i used to work at that claimed he purchased the white E24 from that show. He had a lot of documentation showing that it was the real deal. However, i have never seen the show until now and for all i know it could have been one of many cars from that show. So i guess i may have wrenched on that exact car in the clip about 2 1/2 years ago, lol
Post Reply