I Thought it was "MyE28.com"

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.

Would you like to have this website re dedicated to e28's only. only

Poll ended at Mar 22, 2012 4:29 PM

yes
8
19%
no
35
81%
 
Total votes: 43

bobbojulius
Posts: 30
Joined: Feb 03, 2009
Location: Iowa

I Thought it was "MyE28.com"

Post by bobbojulius »

Hello,
Been a member for about 4 years. Since when did this site become "MyBMW or any other car.com". It used to be e28's. Now, if you look at the cars listed for sale in the WTB section (for example) it is gettin real tough to even find an e28. 550i, 2006, etc. I wish we could get back to our roots, e28's.
This sucks
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

:moon:

Don't let the door hit ya!
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Post by davintosh »

Do you own strictly e28s? I didn't think so.
(even you've asked questions about other models! ;) )

The fact of the matter is that we all have other cars, and this is one place where people can ask questions about those other cars and expect that somebody can offer some intelligent commentary or advice on them. Is that so terrible?
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

3 of 24 of your posts have been about other cars (a 6 series, a Bavaria, and an E12) so what are you complaining about?
alijonny
Posts: 5612
Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by alijonny »

not to piss in your corn flakes, but this site is also dedicated to US enthusiasts who gather for the sake of beer, Canadian ketchup, and e28's.
rmiddendorf
Posts: 5568
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by rmiddendorf »

Although I see your point, the knowledge base of the people involved here far extends beyond E28s. Many members that have once owned E28s have moved on to other cars, sometimes newer BMWs and sometimes other makes but they're still part of the family here. No one wants to hear about Duke's Tiger or Jeremy's Jeep, but they're still an important part of the community as founding MyE28.com members.*

So having had gone to a few events in the past year as well as being active here online I enjoy the banter of everyone in this online dysfunctional family whether they own an E28 or not. Truth be told I've learned more about all cars from this website than from any other source. And this group can be a great source of information on the E23, E24, and E34 cars because there were many shared parts there. Plus many members have owned those cars as well as an E28 or three.

So lets keep the E28 tech questions in Tech Talk, but as far as I'm concerned anything goes in General Conversation including Duke's Tiger Talk, Jeremy's Jeep problems and anything else for that matter.

* Sorry Duke and Jeremy, just messing.
Last edited by rmiddendorf on Feb 21, 2012 3:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

The answer is pretty simple: relationships.

For example, I'd rather ask mooseheadm5 an e34 question than take my chances on an e34 forum...why? he and I have been "talking" for 3 years now. He's very smart- I'd like his opinion.
The fact is, there are techs on here that I'd rather consult than other sites...they know who they are.

As it relates to the FS section, thats a no-brainer.
Mark in Toronto
Posts: 2442
Joined: Feb 14, 2008
Location: Toronto

Post by Mark in Toronto »

If you are serious and only looking for e28 content, pack your bags and move to Image

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e28/
Rich in Tupelo
Posts: 2917
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Spring Hill, TN

Post by Rich in Tupelo »

alijonny wrote:not to piss in your corn flakes, but this site is also dedicated to US enthusiasts who gather for the sake of beer, Canadian ketchup, and e28's.
And not necessarily in that order... :laugh:
Mike W.
Posts: 27986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Re: I Thought it was "MyE28.com"

Post by Mike W. »

bobbojulius wrote:Hello,
Been a member for about 4 years. Since when did this site become "MyBMW or any other car.com". It used to be e28's. Now, if you look at the cars listed for sale in the WTB section (for example) it is gettin real tough to even find an e28. 550i, 2006, etc. I wish we could get back to our roots, e28's.
This sucks
You've made two dozen posts in 3 years, not 4, weren't even active at all for a year and a half and you don't like the way things are going? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It's not commercial either, should it be renamed something like Mye28.net or should Jeremy start selling things? And some of us have been here since '02 or '03 when it started.

Anything else we can do to please you today? :roll:
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

I voted "Cerclage Needed"
RonW
Posts: 5324
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by RonW »

davintosh wrote:Do you own strictly e28s? I didn't think so.
(even you've asked questions about other models! ;) )

The fact of the matter is that we all have other cars, and this is one place where people can ask questions about those other cars and expect that somebody can offer some intelligent commentary or advice on them. Is that so terrible?
Until I bought my E46 a few months ago, I'd been E28-only for over 15 years.
KillerPM
Posts: 3201
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by KillerPM »

Well, the title on the site says its an E28 enthusiast community. To me that means you don't necessarily have to own an E28, just like them.

Really its more about the people here then anything else.

Sometimes we will be dicks, sometimes we will troll, but at the end of the day, its all in good fun.
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

Can I change my vote to: "Teabag"?
the Tanned One
Posts: 2725
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area in Fla.

Post by the Tanned One »

I for 1 would like to see the Board get back to e28s or at least BMW cars Don`t mind at all about bring up things like health,births,deaths,etc. But really could give a Flying Fuck about reading about your guns,Volvo,little Red Tigger,etc Think if thats what you here for maybe the door sould hit YOU on the way to Facebook or some other fourm IMHO ;) :cool:
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

Image
the Tanned One
Posts: 2725
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area in Fla.

Post by the Tanned One »

:roll: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :roundel: :moon:
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22376
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Re: I Thought it was "MyE28.com"

Post by Shawn D. »

mooseheadm5 wrote:3 of 24 of your posts have been about other cars (a 6 series, a Bavaria, and an E12) so what are you complaining about?
Mike W. wrote:You've made two dozen posts in 3 years, not 4, weren't even active at all for a year and a half and you don't like the way things are going? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Hold on fellas, we should listen to a major contributor like the OP! :roll:

OK, OK, so I added a 3rd poll option... :banana:
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

:banana:
I like to touch my Tiger!
:banana:
m-racer
Posts: 5274
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay Florida

Post by m-racer »

I think that the issue is largely one of the way the board is organized. I believe there should be an E28 General Discussion section and an Off Topic section. They are currently lumped together so that a general (non tech talk, or M5) question or topic concerning E28's gets lumped together with discussions on politics, guns, Tigers, current events, etc. I brought this up once before and was told by Shawn that General Discussion was the Off Topic section. If that's the case, where does a discussion on an E28 events, or interior, or a PPI, or fuel mileage (essentially anything E28 that is not technical) go? They go in General Discussion with all the non E28 related stuff. I have learned about and shared thoughts on any number of topics (generators, British cars, politics, books, movies, etc.) and I have enjoyed those and appreciate the far reaching expertise of the group. To me, this issue screams out for an "Off Topic" subforum. That way, if you want to stay on topic concerning E28's it would be a lot more simple. Just my opinion, but personally I don't want to read about guns and Tigers in the same forum as general E28 discussion. I also think the FS sections should be disagregated into E28 and Other. I really think that would solve the problem. Just my opinion.
the Tanned One
Posts: 2725
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area in Fla.

Post by the Tanned One »

m-racer wrote:I think that the issue is largely one of the way the board is organized. I believe there should be an E28 General Discussion section and an Off Topic section. They are currently lumped together so that a general (non tech talk, or M5) question or topic concerning E28's gets lumped together with discussions on politics, guns, Tigers, current events, etc. I brought this up once before and was told by Shawn that General Discussion was the Off Topic section. If that's the case, where does a discussion on an E28 events, or interior, or a PPI, or fuel mileage (essentially anything E28 that is not technical) go? They go in General Discussion with all the non E28 related stuff. I have learned about and shared thoughts on any number of topics (generators, British cars, politics, books, movies, etc.) and I have enjoyed those and appreciate the far reaching expertise of the group. To me, this issue screams out for an "Off Topic" subforum. That way, if you want to stay on topic concerning E28's it would be a lot more simple. Just my opinion, but personally I don't want to read about guns and Tigers in the same forum as general E28 discussion. I also think the FS sections should be disagregated into E28 and Other. I really think that would solve the problem. Just my opinion.
Agree 100% Tim :cool:
alijonny
Posts: 5612
Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by alijonny »

aww damnit! I love touching myself! I want to re-vote!
garageboy
Posts: 2488
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New York City
Contact:

Post by garageboy »

Wow, either it's a full moon, or our menstrual cycles have all aligned perfectly. I thought I was a bit harsh on mtdew, but enjoyed hitting the send key. It seems we're really shoving it up bobbojulius' ass on this note. :argue:

The OP's question really is a valid one. I think in general the list does a very good job of balancing E28 content with non-E28 content, and that is very healthy. As well, many of the points made here are spot on, since most of us own cars other than E28s, and there is so much wisdom on this list both E28-centric and otherwise that it is very productive to ask questions here that would be generally ignored, or worse, opined on by ignoramuses on other forums. So while it is a valid to ASK the question, If one were to look back over this forum's history, the benefits of having mixed content is obvious. Perhaps the OP should dig through the notes, do some searches, and see how much better it is here on MYE28.com.

Having said that, I have often wished that the FOR SALE - Cars subforum was indeed split between E28 and non-E28 content. From a historical perspective, I would much prefer to be able to review all the E28s for sale in one place - it would help me figure out how to price my car (hahaha, like I'll ever sell that fucking thing after it took so long to find). But truthfully, it would help noobs figure out what their cars are worth before posting, as well as figure out what cars out on the Internets are worth. I think that would be a big benefit to the group. But if it's voted down, I'll survive.

I'm just grateful to have found this list, since I had long since mourned Richard Welty's original BMW list, that had such a brilliant wealth of BMW knowledge, with Phil Marx, Ben Thongsai, Filippo Morelli, Rick Kjeldsen, Don Eilenberger, Harvey Chao, and so many countless others that I have learned SO much from over these years. But hey, it ain't the 1990s any longer so I feel lucky to have been admitted to this little party you guys have created here. Damned lucky. I only hope, after the rants, I've been able to give back to you guys in the way I've benefited from your knowledge, friendship, and camaraderie.

Thanks, y'all! (hey, I'm in SC this week after all :)),
.steve.
NYC
1988 528e, 5-speed, 93k miles, The Time Capsule
2001 530i, 5-speed, 111k miles, Almost a Time Capsule
RoyW
Posts: 2877
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Albany, NY

Post by RoyW »

rmiddendorf wrote:Although I see your point, the knowledge base of the people involved here far extends beyond E28s. Many members that have once owned E28s have moved on to other cars, sometimes newer BMWs and sometimes other makes but they're still part of the family here. No one wants to hear about Duke's Tiger or Jeremy's Jeep, but they're still an important part of the community as founding MyE28.com members.*

So having had gone to a few events in the past year as well as being active here online I enjoy the banter of everyone in this online dysfunctional family whether they own an E28 or not. Truth be told I've learned more about all cars from this website than from any other source. And this group can be a great source of information on the E23, E24, and E34 cars because there were many shared parts there. Plus many members have owned those cars as well as an E28 or three.

So lets keep the E28 tech questions in Tech Talk, but as far as I'm concerned anything goes in General Conversation including Duke's Tiger Talk, Jeremy's Jeep problems and anything else for that matter.

* Sorry Duke and Jeremy, just messing.
+1... Well said!! :)

-RoyW
RoyW
Posts: 2877
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Albany, NY

Post by RoyW »

On the other hand, I kinda like m-racer's ideas... it does say, "General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them", under the General Conversation header, as well as under Tech Talk, etc., ... but not so under the For Sale sections. So, m-racer ideas would certainly categorize things better re: non-e28 general conversation? Worth a try Shawn?

-RoyW
Last edited by RoyW on Feb 22, 2012 8:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22376
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the way the board is organized. Disliking various combinations of subjects in General Conversation is (at most) an inconvenience, not a flaw. You don't want to read about firearms or Tigers? Then don't read about them -- pretty simple.

Additionally, I don't care to have more work to do moving more threads (which will inevitably happen), nor would I care to sort previous threads if another sub-forum was created.
bronzitbill
Posts: 338
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Fresno, CA

Post by bronzitbill »

the Tanned One wrote:
m-racer wrote:I think that the issue is largely one of the way the board is organized. I believe there should be an E28 General Discussion section and an Off Topic section. They are currently lumped together so that a general (non tech talk, or M5) question or topic concerning E28's gets lumped together with discussions on politics, guns, Tigers, current events, etc. I brought this up once before and was told by Shawn that General Discussion was the Off Topic section. If that's the case, where does a discussion on an E28 events, or interior, or a PPI, or fuel mileage (essentially anything E28 that is not technical) go? They go in General Discussion with all the non E28 related stuff. I have learned about and shared thoughts on any number of topics (generators, British cars, politics, books, movies, etc.) and I have enjoyed those and appreciate the far reaching expertise of the group. To me, this issue screams out for an "Off Topic" subforum. That way, if you want to stay on topic concerning E28's it would be a lot more simple. Just my opinion, but personally I don't want to read about guns and Tigers in the same forum as general E28 discussion. I also think the FS sections should be disagregated into E28 and Other. I really think that would solve the problem. Just my opinion.
Agree 100% Tim :cool:
+1
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

I like shit the way it is. I actually read the topic title and if it's about something I don't give a damn about... then guess what...

I DON'T CLICK ON IT!
MicahO
Posts: 2489
Joined: Jan 07, 2010
Location: Warwick, NY

Post by MicahO »

shagrath wrote:I like shit the way it is. I actually read the topic title and if it's about something I don't give a damn about... then guess what...

I DON'T CLICK ON IT!
That's where I stand as well. Things are fine the way they are. Of course, I'm a guy who still likes working from a command line, so my vote (I DO like to touch myself!) may be one you all want to ignore.

Even for items that are utterly unrelated to e28's, I often do my Google searches with a "site:mye28.com" appended to see if the issue or topic has been discussed here before. If it has, I'd rather hear about it from the folks on this board before I venture out into the wider internet. This applies to tools, toys, household maintenance and repairs, other makes and models of cars, etc.....

But never Tigers. :D
bronzitbill
Posts: 338
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Fresno, CA

Post by bronzitbill »

shagrath wrote:I like shit the way it is. I actually read the topic title and if it's about something I don't give a damn about... then guess what...

I DON'T CLICK ON IT!
no need to shout...
Post Reply