washers under main bearing cap bolts

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Bill in MN
Posts: 1718
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: The Boonies, Mn
Contact:

washers under main bearing cap bolts

Post by Bill in MN »

I got the block back from getting align bored and there were no wave washers on the bearing cap bolts except on the center cap. I don't recall if they were on the other bolts when it went to the shop and they lost them or if there were none to start with. RealOem is pretty vague on this.

Anyone??
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

:dunno:
Rich Euro M5
Posts: 6098
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: Klein, Texas

Post by Rich Euro M5 »

The torque spec is 60 Nm or 44.25 lb-ft, bolts washed and oiled. Based on the low torque, wavewashers should probably be used under all of the main cap bolts.
turbodan
Posts: 9705
Joined: Jan 09, 2007

Post by turbodan »

I don't remember any washers under the main cap bolts on any M20 I've ever had apart. Don't know if the M30 is different. I don't see any harm in using them though, either way.
S38Mike
Posts: 865
Joined: Jul 01, 2011
Location: South Bay, SoCal

ETK says..

Post by S38Mike »

I just checked current ETK using e28 528e U.S. and found no washers specified on main bearing cap bolts. E28 535i U.S. does use 10mm wave washers (p/n 07-11-9-932-112)
Xenocide
Posts: 3370
Joined: Jun 08, 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by Xenocide »

Pulled the pan on the eta m20 last night, definitely no washers on the main bearing cap bolts.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

Bill's motor is an m30.
Mike W.
Posts: 27989
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

I could swear I've seen both.

When in doubt my answer is always locktite. I know I use it in places I shouldn't have to, but it's cheap insurance. The factory doesn't use it as much as I do because it's expensive for them, and they know where it's needed and where it isn't. Mostly. Except say BMW V8 oil pump bolts. :laugh:
Post Reply