Why is my power steering pump whining and howling?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Why is my power steering pump whining and howling?

Post by booker »

Because it was 1/2 quart low on fluid. :oops:

I have the normal drips and drops under the car, but not a 1/2 quart worth. Luckily I had a fresh quart in the trunk.

Curious indeed.
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

tighten dem dere fitting bolts
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

I know you're part mexican, but can you speak english? Gracias.
tschultz
Posts: 4158
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Contact:

Post by tschultz »

Make sure you sure ATF as that is the best (as opposed to Power steering Fluid).

There are some products out there that are supposed to stop the power steering leaks, I know of one specifically by Lucas called Stop Leak.
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

tschultz wrote:Make sure you sure ATF
Check.
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

Next time just pour beer in it and save $$$.
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

Snug the bolts on the pump case itself- sounds like its pulling air.
Chimi-Changa
Posts: 1782
Joined: Nov 08, 2011
Location: Westborough, MA

Post by Chimi-Changa »

Check upper clamp on low pressure hose yet? They have pinch style clamps (not worm drive) Mine was leaking there, tightened pinch clamp, and installed a worm drive one right below it (make sure still on spout) sealed mine. Thanks to previous posts on the subject, ( and "a" for the suggestion of tightening upper clamp every once in a while)
Yes- if making noise... check bolts, besides fluid, and clamps.
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

Will check all of the above. Thanks
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

booker wrote:I know you're part mexican, but can you speak english? Gracias.
I think he was using Redneck, not Spanish. :roll:

Regardless, they can and will suck air if everything isn't tight on the supply side. It doesn't have to be leaking fluid to suck air and cause noises. A plugged filter is another possibility, but changing mine only made it worse until I tightened the pump body bolts.
D.
Posts: 55
Joined: Jan 08, 2009
Location: Bellingham , WA

noisy pump

Post by D. »

Same thing happened to me. Changing the filter, changing the atf, installing a new pump, none of that worked. Tightening the belt, that worked. It used to cut out all together at times when it was warm. All of a sudden, no assist at all. All due to a loose belt.
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Re: noisy pump

Post by Mike W. »

D. wrote: Tightening the belt, that worked. It used to cut out all together at times when it was warm. All of a sudden, no assist at all. All due to a loose belt.
I always got that after going thru a puddle unless the belt was so tight I feared for the bearing's life. I mean way tighter than the alt or A/C belt. Even overtight didn't do anything, it had to be way overtight.
S38Mike
Posts: 865
Joined: Jul 01, 2011
Location: South Bay, SoCal

since some of you have experienced this...

Post by S38Mike »

My M5 makes a similar groaning/whining sound during low speed turns and when applying the brakes right before a stop. I've checked the belt tension, changed the filter, and flushed fluid I haven't checked my bolts yet, I'll try it tonight. Can the bolts be loose, pump drawing in air, and still show no signs of leaking from the case?
tn535i
Posts: 5590
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee

Post by tn535i »

Good question, surely the pump body would leak if it can also pull air in?
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Re: since some of you have experienced this...

Post by Mike W. »

S38Mike wrote:My M5 makes a similar groaning/whining sound during low speed turns and when applying the brakes right before a stop. I've checked the belt tension, changed the filter, and flushed fluid I haven't checked my bolts yet, I'll try it tonight. Can the bolts be loose, pump drawing in air, and still show no signs of leaking from the case?
Yes they can. It doesn't seem like it, but was true in my case. The bottom of the pump may not have been completely dry, but it did not mark it's spot, nor did it use any fluid. Mine had been getting worse for a couple of years starting to make noise at say 25F or below, and eventually at 40F or perhaps a bit higher. New fluid didn't help, nor did a new filter, that just made it worse. I replaced the suction hose to no avail, then finally tightened the pump bolts and wow, no more moaning/groaning on cold AMs. The bolts weren't loose, but they weren't tight either. Maybe you would say they were snug, not tight.
S38Mike
Posts: 865
Joined: Jul 01, 2011
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Post by S38Mike »

Ok, so tonight I gave my M5 a closer look. I tightened the bolts on the pump body, they were already pretty tight. I checked the hose clamps on the supply/suction hose from reservoir to pump, found the top clamp was moderately snug so I tightened it more,to my liking. I inspected the hoses closely and found was I had originally thought of as minor seeping from the 2 short rubber sections of hose that connect the hard lines to the p/s cooling loop had begun to leak even worse in the past month. I took out the p/s cooling loop behind the kidneys and replaced the 2 short sections of hose with clamps that connect the hard lines to the cooling loop. I then reassembled everything, refilled and corrected fluid level and cleaned off the residue. I took it for a short drive and the whine is still there only under braking and when turning the wheel. At this point I'm out of ideas other than a new pump$$$$$. Is there anything else I can check? Oh well, at leaks the leak is fixed and my engine compartment got a nice wash.
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

Is the noise the low on fluid moan/groan? Foam in your reservoir? If so I would not suspect the pump, even though that's where the noise is coming from. It's sucking air and you have to figure out why. Pumps generally fail by failing to pump, not by not having enough to pump. Focus on the suction side, from the reservoir to the pump. And as far as $$$, is there any reason a regular old 535 pump wouldn't work? I mean a P/S pump is a pump, nothing special about it, just a regular old vane pump.
S38Mike
Posts: 865
Joined: Jul 01, 2011
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Post by S38Mike »

Checked it for foam this morning after driving to work, no foam/aeration
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

Kyle in NO wrote:Next time just pour beer in it and save $$$.
What a waste of beer. Use Mello Yello like I did in my parts car eta when it was low on coolant.
S38Mike
Posts: 865
Joined: Jul 01, 2011
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Post by S38Mike »

I tried pouring Spaten and Bitburger in there also, but its still making noise.
tn535i
Posts: 5590
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee

Post by tn535i »

If you have a continuous noise from the P/S it could also be related to the brakes on an M30 powered car. If there is a constant fluid flow through the regulator/accumulator it makes a noise just like it will when it recharges the accumulator. Not the same sound but similar. So maybe a bad accumulator and the brakes can't 'charge' up?
jimoreno
Posts: 1662
Joined: Aug 30, 2007
Location: Land O Lakes, FL

Post by jimoreno »

Have you replaced the filter inside the PS reservoir?
S38Mike
Posts: 865
Joined: Jul 01, 2011
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Post by S38Mike »

Yes sir I have
S38Mike
Posts: 865
Joined: Jul 01, 2011
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Post by S38Mike »

Checked on the price for a new pump, $290. Yikes. Thing I'll live with the noise.
bane.oh
Posts: 453
Joined: Feb 14, 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by bane.oh »

shagrath wrote:
Kyle in NO wrote:Next time just pour beer in it and save $$$.
What a waste of beer. Use Mello Yello like I did in my parts car eta when it was low on coolant.
:rofl:
Post Reply