My First BMW Performance Driving Ground School

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
Motronic
Posts: 1433
Joined: Aug 01, 2010

My First BMW Performance Driving Ground School

Post by Motronic »

Today I attended a BMWCCA "ground school" which explained all the events I can sign up for like autocross or ADSS (advanced driving skills school). The only problem is I have an ETA :( . I can see myself now on the track paired up against a smart car :roll:
Looks like I'm limited to concours and fun rally's. :cry:

Has anybody even seen a 528e at any of these track events?
athayer187
Posts: 1644
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: Cheshire, CT

Post by athayer187 »

First of all - congrats on the first step down a slippery slope! I instruct with the Boston Chapter BMWCCA, and I drive a 535is. Sure, an ETA won't be the fastest car on the track, but driven well sure won't be the slowest either. I'd definitely recommend coming to the track if you're interested, shoot me a PM and I can arrange to be your instructor if you come out to one of our events!
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

A 528e with a stick will surprise you on at a driving event.
BMWCCA2 wrote:Yeah, I remember when two BMW NA employees (Rob Mitchell and Gerry Bill) brought a brand new 528e to the BMW CCA Oktoberfest and had to put up with a bunch of crap from the assembled know-it-alls.
Until they won the Autocross event in the six-cylinder class!! Can you spell T-O-R-Q-U-E? I believe it was 1982 in Albany, NY. :banana:
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Re: My First BMW Performance Driving Ground School

Post by C.R. Krieger »

Motronic wrote:Today I attended a BMWCCA "ground school" which explained all the events I can sign up for like autocross or ADSS (advanced driving skills school). The only problem is I have an ETA :( . I can see myself now on the track paired up against a smart car :roll:
Looks like I'm limited to concours and fun rally's. :cry:

Has anybody even seen a 528e at any of these track events?
Yes, although these days, you'll be lucky to even see another E28. I used to drive my '82 at Road America (a well-known horsepower track). I aspired to be as fast as the Audi 4000s and VW Golfs ...

A driver school isn't a competition; it's for you to learn to be better. Not better than anyone else; better than you are. So just go.

The same thing goes for autocross, at least until you get a half dozen or so under your belt. You can't expect to be seriously competitive at your first one. You're only there to get better. So just go.

Don't plan to compare yourself to others at first. Compare yourself to yourself. In autocross, that means getting a little quicker (This not necessarily the same as faster! Some very fast cars post some very slow times.) every run. At a driver school, that means getting a little smoother every lap. Your instructors will be able to tell you how you're improving and how you can get better. In fact, many instructors (me included) would tell you it's best to learn to drive in a low powered car so you learn to conserve momentum and optimize braking - just to keep up. An eta is great for this. Power isn't the issue. Skill is. Just go.
Last edited by C.R. Krieger on Mar 25, 2012 12:14 AM, edited 1 time in total.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

I actually think it would be best to start out in a car like an eta. You really can't go too fast to screw up in a huge way.
Cactus
Posts: 4991
Joined: Jun 06, 2010
Location: Dayton, OH

Re: My First BMW Performance Driving Ground School

Post by Cactus »

C.R. Krieger wrote:Power isn't the issue. Skill is. Just go.
Truer words are seldom spoken.

I've done more track days in my eta than I care to admit to. I've posted quicker laps than z06 Vettes and 800 horsepower supercharged Vipers. It was actually raining cats and dogs, but the real importance of track driving is to see just how quickly you can go around a corner, and which line works best. I short shifted every time on every track day. Straight line speed is boring, dancing through the corners is the reason I plop down the cash.


My favorite thing was getting compliments about my driving from a guy in a turbocharged Audi S4 who couldn't keep up with me through the turns. That was on the horribly rainy day, so he should have had me for sure. These things are 90% about the driver and only 10% about the car.
Motronic
Posts: 1433
Joined: Aug 01, 2010

Post by Motronic »

Kyle in NO wrote:A 528e with a stick will surprise you on at a driving event.
Unfortunately not a stick.
It"s a freshly rebuilt 4HP-22 but at least I put in a 3.25 lsd in the back.

I PM'd athayer187, I am going to go with the car. Better to go than to not go and miss out.I think I should reinforce the steering box bracket. It is intact at this point still and I don't want to snap that. I bought the infamous Ron Carter fix on Ebay and immediately threw it in the trash when I saw it. :roll:
mtnman533
Posts: 1599
Joined: Oct 02, 2008
Location: Los Gatos, CA

Post by mtnman533 »

I learnt a huge amount of what I know about driving at auto-xs in a stock '82 320is, and later a '71 2002 with a head gasket leak... as has already been said, the car really doesn't matter.

Go and learn some skills!
rodpaine
Posts: 1392
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: 55 miles west of D.C. in northern VA
Contact:

Re: My First BMW Performance Driving Ground School

Post by rodpaine »

C.R. Krieger wrote:Snip...
A driver school isn't a competition; it's for you to learn to be better. Not better than anyone else; better than you are. So just go. The same thing goes for autocross, at least until you get a half dozen or so under your belt. You can't expect to be seriously competitive at your first one. You're only there to get better. So just go. Power isn't the issue. Skill is. Just go.
C.R. tells it like it is. I haven't been on the track in quite a few years, but the time invested has sure made me a better driver and my 528e still surprises a number of people on the twisties I still play on. Learning how to be a better driver and what you and your car's limits are, is some of the best time investment you can make. Just do it and you'll also discover that the 528e can deliver some serious handling performance, as you become a better driver.
-Rod
Mike W.
Posts: 27986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

No track time, but I can make an argument that a slower car can be more fun than a fast one. A slow car you can drive at the limits, or at least .99. As long as it's somewhat forgiving, you make a mistake and scrub off a little speed and your fine. Try that with something with 400HP and you'll be lucky to drive it home.
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Too many people to quote in this thread. GO and enjoy becoming a better driver in you eta.
Night Wolf
Posts: 226
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
Location: Middle GA

Post by Night Wolf »

My e30 convertible is undergoing a lot of work. One of the things I was looking forward to doing was taking it to different HPDE events and specifically in this area - Road Atlanta. Until I found out it isn't allowed unless it has a roll bar.

It was then I decided that it would be really cool to do the same in my 528e. I still have some maintenance to catch up on, but that's exactly what I plan on doing. Chipped Motronic, S3.25 diff swap, Z3 1.9 (factory short) shifter, 15" wheels/lower profile tires and basic upgrades in the suspension and shifter linkage etc... has made the car not only very fun to daily drive - but a rather impressive representation of what "only" 121hp can do. Then again that was 25 years and 282k miles ago, before it was ran on very low oil pressure by the PO for 2yrs...

I took my Jeep to the drag strip, I'm interested to take the 528e simply to see what it does compared to my other vehicles I've owned/taken.
Motronic
Posts: 1433
Joined: Aug 01, 2010

Post by Motronic »

Mark 88/M5 Houston wrote:Too many people to quote in this thread. GO and enjoy becoming a better driver in you eta.
Thanks Mark, I already decided to go in April with the garage queen 75,000 miles. All as I have to do to that is change the brake fluid & new coolant hoses to pass pre event inspection. Also contacted Mwrench for my steering bracket fix (still intact). I do however appreciate all the replies in the thread, this changed my mind about taking the eta. That's why I'm here ;)
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

Good to hear you are going. Andrew will be very good for you. He is extremely quick in an e28. I enjoy surprising people in my 535. :)
Post Reply