15" Style 6's for winter setup?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
524tdAviator
Posts: 344
Joined: Nov 05, 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

15" Style 6's for winter setup?

Post by 524tdAviator »

I found some 15" Style 6s locally for $250 with Bridgestone Blizzaks mounted on them. Used for 3 winter seasons. Tires are 205/60/15. I'm looking for a "budget" winter setup. Two questions:

1) Wheel this tire diameter fit right on my E28? (speedometer accuracy is what I'm concerned about)
2) You think this is a good price?

Does anyone have a photo of an E28 with the 15" Style 6 wheels? I've only found photos with the 16" Style 6 version:
Image
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Style 6 only came in 16" for 5 and 7 series offsets. The 15" are open lug for the E36, and would not work on an E28 without $300 in spacers and lugs. So, even free is a bad price unless you just want the tires to put on another set of wheels.
12valves
Posts: 407
Joined: Aug 03, 2009
Contact:

Post by 12valves »

maybe you are referring to these?
Image
205/60/15 will fit fine (tire in my pic is 215/60/15). Four wheels and four tires for $250? If the tires look like they have enough tread depth to be useful in the snow then I would think it`s a fair price.
524tdAviator
Posts: 344
Joined: Nov 05, 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by 524tdAviator »

wkohler wrote:Style 6 only came in 16" for 5 and 7 series offsets. The 15" are open lug for the E36, and would not work on an E28 without $300 in spacers and lugs. So, even free is a bad price unless you just want the tires to put on another set of wheels.
Thanks a lot for the advice! I had no idea they wouldn't fit without that much modification. I think Style 6s look really nice as it is... very simple and classic.
524tdAviator
Posts: 344
Joined: Nov 05, 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by 524tdAviator »

12valves wrote:maybe you are referring to these?
Image
205/60/15 will fit fine (tire in my pic is 215/60/15). Four wheels and four tires for $250? If the tires look like they have enough tread depth to be useful in the snow then I would think it`s a fair price.
They aren't those. They are definitely Style 6s... from the 1992-1994ish (not exactly sure when they stopped selling them) E36 wheels commonly found on the 4-doors. Like this:

Image

Image
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

As Chris said, the offset is wrong. 205/60-15 is the correct size, though (E36 and E28 run the same tire circumference).

-tammer
524tdAviator
Posts: 344
Joined: Nov 05, 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by 524tdAviator »

Thanks for the replies.

What is an acceptable range of offset for a BMW wheel to fit on an E28? My 14" bottlecaps below I think are 22mm.
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

524tdAviator wrote:Thanks for the replies.

What is an acceptable range of offset for a BMW wheel to fit on an E28? My 14" bottlecaps below I think are 22mm.
15mm-26mm depending on the width of the wheel. Offsets as low as 10mm can be made to fit, but as the offset goes lower you'll run into fender clearance issues, especially in the rear. In the front, et23 is about the max before you start rubbing the strut, with wider wheels/tires rubbing sooner.

-tammer
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Tammer in Philly wrote:In the front, et23 is about the max before you start rubbing the strut, with wider wheels/tires rubbing sooner.

-tammer
This depends solely on the width. ET23 8in wide wheels can rub the strut. 7in wide ET23 are much further away.
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

Tammer in Philly wrote: 15mm-26mm depending on the width of the wheel.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Tammer in Philly wrote:
Tammer in Philly wrote: 15mm-26mm depending on the width of the wheel.
Yes, it was patently obvious that you put that stipulation, but then you set a (potentially) confusing limit based on offset alone without specifying the width causing the condition.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

If the 16" style 6 looked like the E36 wheel, I'd have a set of those.
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

mooseheadm5 wrote:
Tammer in Philly wrote:
Tammer in Philly wrote: 15mm-26mm depending on the width of the wheel.
Yes, it was patently obvious that you put that stipulation, but then you set a (potentially) confusing limit based on offset alone without specifying the width causing the condition.
Well, sure. It's beholden upon the guy asking the question to verify his fitment, and there are approximately 4 million resources posted around this site that will allow him to do so. I picked that number because the very very commonly available E38 wheels that are 8" wide have that offset, and (detail I left out) will NOT rub the strut with any tire narrower than 225s. 225s will almost always rub. Anyway, within the most common E28 fitment wheels which tend to be 7-8" wide, 15-17" in diameter, and fitted with 205-225 mm tires, the et 23 is your safe practical upper limit for the front (will work with the right tires), and et18 your safe practical lower limit for the back.

But now I've spent time typing this stuff up, which I was hoping to avoid by my vagueness in the first place. Argh. Since I've done that, I might as well go ahead and inform the OP that spacers can be used to bring the effective offset down, but wheels that are too low in offset can't easily be adapted to fit--you have to modify the body of the car. There, more useful info.

-tammer (someone please point the guy to the Shawn D. spreadsheet in the FAQs already ... oh, looks like I just did.)
Post Reply