I need your help, engine shutting off when I stop.

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Jsanders
Posts: 286
Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Location: San Marcos/Austin/Tyler, Texas

I need your help, engine shutting off when I stop.

Post by Jsanders »

So I've been working on my e28 quite a bit over this last year trying to make it a reliable daily driver, and I'm almost there.

The car is a '83 533i with a 745/k27 turbo system. It now starts, idles, and drives fine, but when I come to a complete stop at a stop sign, half the time it will die. I don't lose power to anything inside of the car, the engine just shuts off.

Within the last year I have replace the following:

Distributor cap and rotor
Spark plug wires
Coil
Speed sensor
Reference sensor
Fuel filter

I have tried using two different ECU's, nothing changed. I also replaced the Main Relay. All the fuses have been inspected and connections are clean.

Tomorrow I'm going to try cleaning ground point G103 towards the rear of the head. If that doesnt work, what should I try next?
CoyoteStarfish
Posts: 1016
Joined: Nov 14, 2008
Location: Miami, FL

Post by CoyoteStarfish »

Hmm. Auto or standard? My thoughts are vacuum or torque converter.
pldlnr
Posts: 2221
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by pldlnr »

Take a look at the idle control valve. Make sure it is working. Also, it never hurts to give it a good cleaning.
wkohler
Posts: 50941
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Check the throttle position sensor adjustment.
Boiwonder
Posts: 148
Joined: Jul 07, 2011
Location: Salt Lake City UT

Post by Boiwonder »

Idle air control.
You might have a fat vacuum leak around that area.
have had that before but on an e34
Jsanders
Posts: 286
Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Location: San Marcos/Austin/Tyler, Texas

Post by Jsanders »

It has a manual transmission.

I forgot to mention that every time it dies, it will immediately start right back up, no hesitation or anything.

I'll go ahead and give the ICV a good cleaning, check the throttle position sensor, look for vacuum leaks, and check the Idle Air Control valve tonight.
Snakeyestx
Posts: 2168
Joined: Jul 27, 2009
Location: Houston, TX

Post by Snakeyestx »

You have inadvertently discovered the predecessor to the stop-start system? ;)
Jsanders
Posts: 286
Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Location: San Marcos/Austin/Tyler, Texas

Post by Jsanders »

Patent Pending Image


On a more serious note, I'm in the process of cleaning the ICV. A few hoses were destroyed when I removed it, so I'm ordering all of the hoses from the dealer in the a.m. I have a feeling this might do the trick, but even if it doesn't I'll be happy knowing everything down there is in good shape.
usefulidiot
Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Location: United States

Post by usefulidiot »

my M5 does the exact same thing, but if i blip the throttle real quick while coming to a stop it won't stall. New to me car-havent gotten around to the ICV yet.
Jsanders
Posts: 286
Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Location: San Marcos/Austin/Tyler, Texas

Post by Jsanders »

I'll keep you updated. Parts should be here by Friday.
ahab
Posts: 6224
Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Location: Chalfont, PA

Post by ahab »

It might be worth throwing a meter on the speed and reference sensors to ensure they're within spec too.
Pino Yeats
Posts: 4
Joined: Jun 13, 2011
Location: UK

Re: I need your help, engine shutting off when I stop.

Post by Pino Yeats »

Jsanders wrote:So I've been working on my e28 quite a bit over this last year trying to make it a reliable daily driver, and I'm almost there.

The car is a '83 533i with a 745/k27 turbo system. It now starts, idles, and drives fine, but when I come to a complete stop at a stop sign, half the time it will die. I don't lose power to anything inside of the car, the engine just shuts off.

Within the last year I have replace the following:

Distributor cap and rotor
Spark plug wires
Coil
Speed sensor
Reference sensor
Fuel filter

I have tried using two different ECU's, nothing changed. I also replaced the Main Relay. All the fuses have been inspected and connections are clean.

Tomorrow I'm going to try cleaning ground point G103 towards the rear of the head. If that doesnt work, what should I try next?
* * * * *
Hi, this is my first posting up here, great site. Wish more of you lot were on this side on the pond...

So with regard to the above posting, I experienced the same problem and all was sorted with a new Fuel Pump Relay.

I know the original posting was years ago but hey!!! hope this helps

Yo!
Jsanders
Posts: 286
Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Location: San Marcos/Austin/Tyler, Texas

Post by Jsanders »

Actually, the original post is from 2 days ago.

I already tried switching the fuel pump relay with another with no resolve. Thanks for the info though, maybe it will help somebody else in the future.
Jsanders
Posts: 286
Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Location: San Marcos/Austin/Tyler, Texas

Post by Jsanders »

I tested the icv with a battery and it's dead. Is there a good place to get these new?
NoM54me
Posts: 305
Joined: Jan 11, 2010
Location: Fishers, IN

Post by NoM54me »

Autohausaz, $185 for a VDO...Pelican Parts is $220 for the same. Sometimes these can be used from Volvo 240/740 with Bosch ignition.
Jsanders
Posts: 286
Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Location: San Marcos/Austin/Tyler, Texas

Post by Jsanders »

Why do you say sometimes?
NoM54me
Posts: 305
Joined: Jan 11, 2010
Location: Fishers, IN

Post by NoM54me »

Sometimes the electrical connectors look different. But the ICV from my Volvo 240 plugged right in to my 533...seemed to work great, too.
pldlnr
Posts: 2221
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by pldlnr »

Jsanders wrote:I tested the icv with a battery and it's dead. Is there a good place to get these new?
These don't really fail that often. I think it would be fine to get a good used ICV. Put up a wanted ad for a known good unit.
Jsanders
Posts: 286
Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Location: San Marcos/Austin/Tyler, Texas

Post by Jsanders »

pldlnr wrote:
Jsanders wrote:I tested the icv with a battery and it's dead. Is there a good place to get these new?
These don't really fail that often. I think it would be fine to get a good used ICV. Put up a wanted ad for a known good unit.
I already found one, just waiting on the guys paypal info. :)
pldlnr
Posts: 2221
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by pldlnr »

:up:
Jsanders
Posts: 286
Joined: Mar 01, 2010
Location: San Marcos/Austin/Tyler, Texas

Post by Jsanders »

Just installed the new ICV and my "refreshed" AFM, so far it hasn't cut out on me. It also seems to be starting a bit rougher than before, and running cooler.
Post Reply