would this be dumb? 4Runner to e34T

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
cddallara
Posts: 3513
Joined: Apr 03, 2010
Location: Lagunitas, Ca

would this be dumb? 4Runner to e34T

Post by cddallara »

So my daily ride is a slightly lifted '96 4Runner, which we've had for 9 extremely trouble free years. With having to use it for work (when I lifted it, it saw 3k miles/year), it's eating me alive in gas. It's not a perfect work truck, but pulls double duty hauling four kids around when needed.

Would an e34 touring be a headache I don't need?

If I can sell the runner, I was thinking of picking one up, but am a little nervous as to the maintenance issue. I'm used to changing oil, doing brakes every few years, and that's about it. :laugh:

Opinions?
Xenocide
Posts: 3370
Joined: Jun 08, 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by Xenocide »

Would an e34 touring be a headache I don't need?
I've been thinking this same thing about the e34 touring, being that I'm due to be married in T-minus 1 year I really need a more practical car.
Last edited by Xenocide on Jun 16, 2011 11:06 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Snakeyestx
Posts: 2168
Joined: Jul 27, 2009
Location: Houston, TX

Post by Snakeyestx »

Get the V8 and a manual one. Toting that kind of weight with a 525T slushbox, you'll get the same if not worse mpg's than the 4-runner.

For some reason I read the topic and thought "He's thinking about putting a touring body on a 4-runner chassis?" :laugh:
pldlnr
Posts: 2221
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by pldlnr »

Toting that kind of weight with a 525T slushbox, you'll get the same if not worse mpg's than the 4-runner.
I don't know about that. I have a '92 525iT with an automatic. It has 197k miles and runs very well. With an estimated 70% of driving around town and maybe 30% on the highway, the overall average has never dropped below 20mpg. On the highway I am getting 26-27mpg if I mind my manners. I have done actual calculations, not just the OBC. I would be shocked if a lifted 4runner is getting ths kind of mileage.
Greg E34
Posts: 1819
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: The Dirty Dime

Post by Greg E34 »

I had a 1997 4Runner that I sold (over the car limit at the time) and was actually looking for another 3rd gen Runner when I picked up my E34T over 4 years ago. Outside the ability to tow a trailer, I think I made the right decision. I bought the car with about 140K and now have over 175K. As far as maintenance, I've done a preventative cooling system makeover, brakes, oil changes and not much else. I've done quite a bit of "upgrading" such as the 5 speed swap, lowered the car on B&G springs, heated sport seats, headers, chip, Euro lights / HID's, bigger brakes, etc. I love the car and it has been extremely reliable. I have taken it on many long distance road trips and would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. It gets better mileage than my 4Runner did and is much more fun to drive. Still has a majority of the utility that my runner did too. Unless you need to do any towing or off roading, I would recommend the E34.
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

First note my bias, I'm not a truck person, and the only thing worse than a pickup truck is a passenger truck. Some people call them pseudo utility vehicles, I call them passenger trucks.

Don't do it for the mileage. Run the numbers, do a spreadsheet and see how much you would be saving. I doubt you will pay for it in gas savings. Now if you want a touring, go for it, just don't use the excuse of gas prices, the numbers just don't work.
cddallara
Posts: 3513
Joined: Apr 03, 2010
Location: Lagunitas, Ca

Post by cddallara »

Mike W. wrote:First note my bias, I'm not a truck person, and the only thing worse than a pickup truck is a passenger truck. Some people call them pseudo utility vehicles, I call them passenger trucks.

Don't do it for the mileage. Run the numbers, do a spreadsheet and see how much you would be saving. I doubt you will pay for it in gas savings. Now if you want a touring, go for it, just don't use the excuse of gas prices, the numbers just don't work.
Spreadsheets, what are those? :laugh: I do want a touring (would rather an e39, but...) but not necessarily if it's going to be a mainantence nightmare. It's basically the same thing but no front driveshaft, differential, transfer case, and 33" tires. Size wise they look about the same. I'd hafta do a 5 speed swap at some point, there's another dramafest...

I'm not looking to 'pay for it' in gas, but if I go from $10/day to $5-7, and buy it with the proceeds of the 'Runner...

Can one get a decent mid100k mile e34T for $3-3.5k?
johnnye23
Posts: 5059
Joined: Sep 27, 2006
Location: Auburn Ca
Contact:

Post by johnnye23 »

Love my E34 Touring ! A 5 speed swap really makes them a different animal to drive , really the way it should have come in North America imho. Take one for a test drive before you jump into it if you are unsure .
The early Tourings had sls in the back and can be expensive to work on but you can do a sls delete very easily. Good luck ;)

Image
cddallara
Posts: 3513
Joined: Apr 03, 2010
Location: Lagunitas, Ca

Post by cddallara »

So I've been advised to stay away from '92's, and a +1, and -1 for the 530.

Any other year/make/model likes dislikes?
johnnye23
Posts: 5059
Joined: Sep 27, 2006
Location: Auburn Ca
Contact:

Post by johnnye23 »

cddallara wrote:So I've been advised to stay away from '92's, and a +1, and -1 for the 530.

Any other year/make/model likes dislikes?
Remember no E34 Tourings were built for the US market with a manual transmission .If you are looking for fuel economy go with the M50 six cylinder 525it model. There have been a couple of manual Tourings for sale on Bimmerforums lately .
Greg E34
Posts: 1819
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: The Dirty Dime

Post by Greg E34 »

I'd stick with an M50 car. The M60B30 gives you all the additional maintenance of a V8 car with no benefit. What's the vote against the '92?
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

92s all have self leveling to fail and are non-vanos. Non-vanos autos are super pigs because they never get to the power band unless you floor them and hand shift.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Unless the car has about 700 dents in it, its not worth buying.
cddallara
Posts: 3513
Joined: Apr 03, 2010
Location: Lagunitas, Ca

Post by cddallara »

wkohler wrote:Unless the car has about 700 dents in it, its not worth buying.
how much ;)
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

I had a 92 Touring and dealth with the SLS failing, the dual sunroof not working (no matter what) and the transmissions electrics killing it.

Now this is not to say I wouldnt take another one, but it would get a manual and a real suspension in the back.
The manual with a lighter flywheel would make all the difference in the world.
cddallara
Posts: 3513
Joined: Apr 03, 2010
Location: Lagunitas, Ca

Post by cddallara »

So what I'm picking up from this is I should look for a 89-91 525it, preferrably with a 5 speed swap. Color don't matter, even hai damage just adds character:laugh:
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

No. 94 or 95 525. No self levelling, banks, better interiors (lol) and the hail damage looks better than it would on an early car.

First touring for us was 1992.
cddallara
Posts: 3513
Joined: Apr 03, 2010
Location: Lagunitas, Ca

Post by cddallara »

wkohler wrote:No. 94 or 95 525. No self levelling, banks, better interiors (lol) and the hail damage looks better than it would on an early car.

First touring for us was 1992.
aaah, ok. I figured it started when e34s started, obviously :oops: if I find a clean one then, I have to 'distress' it via a ballpeen hammer to fit in? :rofl:
Post Reply