I got a quote for $3k, which was lowered to $2.5k after 1 day and then given a final offer of $2k to paint my 540. I got to thinking and it just doesn't make sense to paint the E34. If I am going to spend $$$ to paint a car, it should be the M5. So, my question is, what should I expect to pay for a "nice" paint job. Not going for show quality, but just a really nice paint job. No body work or rust repair. I know this question is borderline silly but would appreciate input from any of you that have had their cars painted.
Honestly, I couldn't tell you a price. But from that pic, you don't need to get that car repainted, looks good as it is. If anything, a real nice detail job should do
What color are you thinking of painting it? Obviously special paints (metallic, "candy") are going to cost more.
Are you 100% sure there's no rust and no damage? No little bubbles here or there around the bottom edges of the doors, that sort of thing? Is this going to be a basic scuff and shoot, where they just prepare the surface and put another coat on, or are they going to strip it down?
After going through this myself with my car last summer, I can tell you that $2,000 won't go very far - I had nearly that much just in the cost of materials, let alone the cost of the labor.
I'm not considering the strip it down type of paint job. You get to $10k in the blink of an eye. I have 1 small dent and once you get into rust and all of that the variables are too great. I'm just trying to figure how ROUGHLY much a good paint job should cost and any repair would be on top of that.
Think that with the current cost of materials, $3.5-4k is the starting point for a "decent" paint job...ie one without trash in the surface and no orange peel. $2k should get you an ok usable job, but it will likely be "rushed" since the labor cost will be low.
Just how bad is the paint on the M5? You know it's single stage so as long as there is color there it will buff out. That said, there is something about fresh new paint that even the best buff out doesn't match. But keep in mind they are probably going to want to do a two stage paint job with clearcoat, meaning you wouldn't be able to buff it out later. $2K is awfully cheap these days with the price of materials, good materials especially, let alone labor. Ask to see some of their work, not fresh out of the spray booth, that always looks good, but a few months later and talk to some of their customers.
The information above is very good. If the paint on the car is original, you should have a professional address the existing paintwork. An average to below-average repaint will have a negative affect on the value as most discerning M5 buyers will always opt for an original example.
$4-$5k gets a "nice" paint job in the best shops around here, and that's if there's no bodywork repair beyond small dings, and if you do all the disassembly (lights, grilles, bumpers, trim, mouldings, badges, antenna, vents, valance, etc) yourself. If the glass doesn't come all the way out, the seals need to at least. A slab sided non-metallic black sedan is a nightmare paintjob to most guys, and will require more care in prep to get right. Duplicating the quality & texture of the factory paint will be exceedingly difficult with modern paints. Unless it's got some really glaring flaws that the pic doesn't show, or has been partially painted before or matched badly, try to save the original paint.
My dad had one of his vehicles repainted down here for $2500,
the paint is slick, no orange peel and has held up for 2 yrs now with no issues at all..
a damn nice paint job for $2500...
My buddy Rick in NC, does a damn good paint job for $2500 too...
This is no body work of course but de-dinging the body was included and light body work, scratches, small dings etc...
Always ask to see a sample of his work for the agreed upon price before allowing them to do it...
Don't do it unless you can do it right. It really matters if you plan to sell the car. I would generally rather buy a car with decent to marginal factory paint than a car with a repaint.