On-again-off-again windows and gauge cluster problem

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Geoff C.
Posts: 36
Joined: Jul 26, 2008
Location: Buffalo, New York

On-again-off-again windows and gauge cluster problem

Post by Geoff C. »

As a wrencher, I'm OK -- just renewed every last bushing and changeable suspension part under the car including springs, sub-frame bushings using the saw-zal method and engine and dif mounts on my 86 535i, but when it comes to electrical stuff, I'm lost. My windows and gooahjez stop working every other time I start the car (except the speedo, roof mounted computer and sunroof). I seem to have a funny driver's side window switch, in that it works faster if I only press it down half way (that is when it is working). The tach and gas mileage gauge quite together and work as I said, every other time I start the car. Has this got to do with something getting too hot? Has anyone experienced this problem? Are these two problems connected? Suggestions as to where to start are thanked ahead of time.
downernsp
Posts: 162
Joined: Jul 05, 2008
Location: Chino,CA

Re: On-again-off-again windows and gauge cluster problem

Post by downernsp »

Geoff C. wrote:As a wrencher, I'm OK -- just renewed every last bushing and changeable suspension part under the car including springs, sub-frame bushings using the saw-zal method and engine and dif mounts on my 86 535i, but when it comes to electrical stuff, I'm lost. My windows and gooahjez stop working every other time I start the car (except the speedo, roof mounted computer and sunroof). I seem to have a funny driver's side window switch, in that it works faster if I only press it down half way (that is when it is working). The tach and gas mileage gauge quite together and work as I said, every other time I start the car. Has this got to do with something getting too hot? Has anyone experienced this problem? Are these two problems connected? Suggestions as to where to start are thanked ahead of time.

Same here,I have a similar issue and all I can say is that I am going to do this someway. I know ohm's law and all but still at times lost and I get frustrated very easy which doens't help everything else I can handle but wiring not my thing :bawl: and I hate it. Have you tried testing the switch for voltage? relays go bad too, I have also heard that bimmers that there window motors tend to get stuck but since you state on and off I would assume this car doesn't sit to long correct?
jrmartin
Posts: 58
Joined: Jun 19, 2007
Location: chattown,tn

Post by jrmartin »

i think its the chip board with the 2 aa batteries in it. the batteries are bad and maybe the board. i think i have the same problems,tach, temp.,etc.... :?
Post Reply