Any good lock cylinder removal DIYs?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
323ivabeach
Posts: 265
Joined: Feb 04, 2009
Location: Virginia Beach Va

Any good lock cylinder removal DIYs?

Post by 323ivabeach »

I need to remove both front lock/handle assemblies to sell to someone on the board. I'm a little impatient with small spaces like this, and I don't want to break anything.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22379
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

We can't do anything about your impatience, sorry!

Just remove pieces one by one, starting with the window channel. Layer by layer and linkage by linkage, they'll come out. The last piece to remove to get the lock out is the large c-clip (w/ integral heater on the driver's side) and the last to get the handles out are nuts on the back side of the door handle depression.
323ivabeach
Posts: 265
Joined: Feb 04, 2009
Location: Virginia Beach Va

Post by 323ivabeach »

Thanx, but how do you remove the window channel? Do you HAVE to remove it, or does it just make it easier? I'm having trouble getting that clip out from behind the cylinder. Maybe the passenger side will be less trouble without the heated bits.
323ivabeach
Posts: 265
Joined: Feb 04, 2009
Location: Virginia Beach Va

Post by 323ivabeach »

I got it. Thanx though.
stuartinmn
Posts: 9757
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

323ivabeach wrote:Thanx, but how do you remove the window channel? Do you HAVE to remove it, or does it just make it easier? I'm having trouble getting that clip out from behind the cylinder. Maybe the passenger side will be less trouble without the heated bits.
I found that just unbolting the bottom end of the channel helped - you can then push the whole thing out of the way far enough to make space for your fingers.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22379
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

I see you got it, and now you know that you do need to remove (or at least move the channel). One bolt ain't too hard!
Post Reply