1985 528e Heater fan problem

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
seprowling
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 14, 2008
Location: Cookeville, TN, USA area

1985 528e Heater fan problem

Post by seprowling »

Heater/ac fan question. A couple weeks ago when I turned on the heater fan I saw a couple whiffs of smoke out of the dash vent. I shut switch off and then turned it back on, nothing, no fan, no smoke, nothing... The ac fan still works fine. I thought that there were 2 separate fans but on real oem I only see 1 fan. what gives? Is this a fan switch problem or a fan problem? Another issue is with out removing the fan from the car there is no way to know which fan I need. The local stealership could not tell which fan I have by the VIN so I can either remove the fan and and probably wait on parts, which neither are in stock> If I am going to bother with fixing it, I want to put in a new one. any ideas pr suggestions appreciated. :dunno:
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

Blower motor is sick and either blew the fuse or opened the link in the resistor array that is located in the duct just behind the blower. It is a good thing to have working, because it keeps the windows from fogging up. Volumes have been wriiten on the blower and its care. 3 of my cars have had re- lubed used blowers. So far , so good. Another thing to consider is that a new motor has prolly sat on a shelf for a decade or more and prolly could use re-lubing too.
seprowling
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 14, 2008
Location: Cookeville, TN, USA area

Post by seprowling »

so how hard is it to remove the blower motor? how long should it take? I just hate to spend 3 or 4 hours removing and re-installing the thing to have it still not work.
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

It's more like a 20 minute job to pull it out of the car. There's a cover on the top part of the firewall, under the hood. Remove the handful of small screws around its perimeter, cut a couple wire ties holding some electrical wires to it, and remove. The blower is right there in the middle. There are two plastic clamshell covers over the fans that need to be removed, and then unhook the latch connector that holds the blower motor in place.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

seprowling wrote:so how hard is it to remove the blower motor? how long should it take? I just hate to spend 3 or 4 hours removing and re-installing the thing to have it still not work.
bench test it prior to install.
Post Reply