Need help with possible cause for drive train noise FIXED!

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
jimoreno
Posts: 1662
Joined: Aug 30, 2007
Location: Land O Lakes, FL

Need help with possible cause for drive train noise FIXED!

Post by jimoreno »

I tried searching for something similar but none of the descriptions matched what I was hearing this morning. I decided since its been warm the last couple of days here in Jersey to drive my 535 to work to day and lo and behold I get stuck in the morning slow traffic. I started to hear this noise which was speed dependent, mostly on acceleration or deceleration. The only thing that came to my mind was CV joints that went really bad all of the sudden. At higher speeds it was gone. Anyway, I decided not to risk it and turn around and switched cars. I am pretty sure it is not the support bearing as I have experienced this one before and it was completely different.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to get under the car today but does this sound like a bad drive shaft joint to you guys? It if is, I guess part of the small tax refund is already going to be spent in a rebuilt unit. What's the current price for a rebuilt unit?
Also, if this is the case, is there anyone from North NJ with access to a lift? If no one has access to one I might try to talk to the gas station close to my house since they have three empty bays with lifts to see if they'll rent me one for 4 hours.

Thanks for any input guys!
Last edited by jimoreno on Feb 12, 2009 8:39 AM, edited 2 times in total.
tdbrewst
Posts: 781
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post by tdbrewst »

I'd still say check the center bearing support. Had a bearing go out on 1 car and couldn't drive the car as there was the loud thumping of the driveshaft as it banged against the bottom of the car.

On my current car the center bearing was bad since I got the car but the noise was only evident on acceleration and deceleration.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Where is the noise coming from?
jimoreno
Posts: 1662
Joined: Aug 30, 2007
Location: Land O Lakes, FL

Post by jimoreno »

Update: Got under the car and removed the heat shield. Everything look ok there is some play but I found the big nut between the two parts loose. I can move it with my bare hands! Will this cause this noise? Now the big question how do I tighten it? Any specific wrench for this? How tight?
patrick
Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Cape Cod

Post by patrick »

Yup, that'll let the spline wiggle around and cause a vibration. If you have a big pair of channel lock pliers, that should do the trick.

You're tightening it to squish a plastic sleeve which grabs the spline from the front half of the driveshaft and helps hold it from wobbling around in the back half, so it's not like you're tightening the lug bolts. Just squishing some plastic.

The Bentley manual calls out 13 lb/ft or 17 newton meters for it.
jimoreno
Posts: 1662
Joined: Aug 30, 2007
Location: Land O Lakes, FL

Post by jimoreno »

You were right! Bought the bigger plier yesterday afternoon, got under the car and tightened it up, put the cover back on and drove.
Man is this thing smooooooth now!

Anyway, this began many months ago as a high speed vibration so if anyone has a high speed vibration (in my case above 85) check your drive shaft collar nut!

Thanks for sharing the knowledge! That's why this place rocks! :banana: :alright:
rustwrks
Posts: 159
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: california
Contact:

Post by rustwrks »

our cars can go 85 ? really?!
patrick
Posts: 405
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Cape Cod

Post by patrick »

Awesome. I'm glad I was able to help out.

The only reason I knew that was because I didn't tighten mine enough one time, and I had a vibration exactly like what you described.
Jake D
Posts: 2107
Joined: Jun 20, 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Post by Jake D »

rustwrks wrote:our cars can go 85 ? really?!
Nope. 535i tops out right around 80. Maybe 85 with proper gearing and a good tail wind!!!

Whatever you do, don't exceed 88 mph. Flux capacitor will kick in and... watch out for Biff. That guy is an asshole.


Anywho.... glad you got your issue resolved!! WHOOT!
Post Reply